Thread: New to E46 M3

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

New to E46 M3

I am well versed in about all things E36 (except painting them !!) So, moving from SCCA Solo STR to either F/S or STU with a 2004 M3. This will sound stupid, but just brought one home today.

There are DSC, traction control, and Sport buttons. DSC on my 97 M3 simply stopped all the nannies. So, on to 04 M3 modes.

I assume traction control is about launching the car. But, specifically what are the differences in the DSC and traction control?
    From driving the car home, the Sport button seems to change the map of the throttle. Is that true, and is there more?
    Can ALL the nannies be defeated?

If I build to STU, computer "tuning" is legal. Besides the engine DME, can the DSC and/or traction control be tuned?

My Cars
    01 325xiT,03 M3C,81 320
    I assume since this is an AX car, it will not be likely that you use TC for that. However, if you do, or, if you track the car, the good news is you have the latest/best out of the box software and hardware in the platform, MK60. Prior to 2003 you would have had MK20 which pretty much sucks if you want it on for any performance driving.
    With MK60, you have two or three modes “out of the box”. I say two “or” three because it depends. If you have a non-ZCP (non competition package). You have two modes; on/off. If you have a ZCP car, you have three; on/off/M-track mode. Furthermore, even if you don’t have a ZCP car, you can code M-track mode coded in. That’s what I have done in my 2003.

Traction control pretty much just cuts in to stop wheelspin whether it be launching or anything else. DSC, dynamic stability control, works in conjunction with a number of sensors (yaw, steering angle, wheel speed) to individually brake various wheels to correct the course of the car. It can all be defeated with the button just like the e36.

You are right, all the sport button does is remap the throttle

As far as programming, I don’t know much about that. I am pretty sure you can program MK60 to change thresholds and such. I know it can be done on MK20.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Can't reprogram ABS controllers in ST classes.

The "sport" throttle mode is useless in the E46 for autoX, at least when I drove one. Way too sensitive when making quick throttle inputs/minor adjustments.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Good info from both of you. Thanks.

I brag that I am smart enough to know when I'm NOT !! Also, no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

So, not a ZCP.
    Foolio2, please fill in the gaps as to the differences in just plain DSC "off" and M-Track mode. From there, if I DO run an SCCA Track Nights event, I would have that option to flash in with a laptop, and then revert to OEM coding.

Either of you have any other nuggets?

My Cars
    01 325xiT,03 M3C,81 320
    Well, DSC off is just that. You have no nannies interfering with your driving. Granted, it doesn’t turn off ABS. That cannot be disabled with a button. You may be able to do some coding to turn off the ABS but I don’t know about that. Again, with MK60, the ABS is not very intrusive in my opinion. Now, a racecar driver might disagree with me…I am just a hard-core track day bro LOL.

M-Track mode is a more “permissive” DSC. I find quite a bit more so. You can actually slide the car around more without the DSC kicking in and spoiling the fun. Not that you are trying to slide but it lets you “fix” small situations yourself without letting the car do it for you. Also, when the DSC does kick in, it doesn’t immediately cut the throttle like it does fully on or with the older MK20 system. As a matter of fact, my primary track setting is M-Track mode. I find that it rarely interferes with my driving.

As far as coding it in, here are a couple resources that I used. See link and attachment:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=371119

If you code it in, the nice thing is it is controlled from the DSC button from there on out. No need to flash any more.

- Start car, DSC fully enabled
    - push DSC button once, DSC symbol lights in center of cluster. You are in M-Track mode.
    - push and hold DSC button, DSC symbol and yellow “BRAKE” lights up telling you there is no DSC help added.
    - in either M-Track or Disabled mode, a single short press of the DSC button fully enables it to the default ON setting.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Thanks !!!!!!!!