Thread: Remote Key Fob Battery Warning

My Cars
    F10 535i & E89 Z4 35i

Remote Key Fob Battery Warning

My car, an F10 2013 535i with comfort access, recently posted a warning in the instrument cluster to replace the remote control battery. I put off doing so for a few days until the key fob would not lock/unlock the doors or start the car, except when placed against the designated spot on the steering column.

I replaced the battery and everything works again, but the warning message still appears sporadically in the instrument cluster. Is there an easy way to remove the warning?

Many thanks!

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsM6 View Post
    My car, an F10 2013 535i with comfort access, recently posted a warning in the instrument cluster to replace the remote control battery. I put off doing so for a few days until the key fob would not lock/unlock the doors or start the car, except when placed against the designated spot on the steering column.

I replaced the battery and everything works again, but the warning message still appears sporadically in the instrument cluster. Is there an easy way to remove the warning?

Many thanks!

Hold the key fob next to the steering column where the little key symbol is (under the wiper control) and start the car. The warning should go out.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i
    So this is also happening with me on my 2012 BMW 535i, I got it back from the BMW dealer about 3 weeks ago and i started to see that message, but they also did tell me I need a new car battery. I think it might be time for me to replace my car battery but a quick question for you did you replace the battery inside the fob as well?

My Cars
    F10 535i & E89 Z4 35i
    Thanks for the response. So far, it hasn't worked, but I'll keep trying.

Yes, I replaced the key fob battery, and that restored all functions. I frequently have the car on a Battery Tender since we are retired and don't drive it daily. It has never shown a low battery warning for anything other than the key fob. I would expect the car's battery life to be more than five years.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsM6 View Post
    Thanks for the response. So far, it hasn't worked, but I'll keep trying.

Yes, I replaced the key fob battery, and that restored all functions. I frequently have the car on a Battery Tender since we are retired and don't drive it daily. It has never shown a low battery warning for anything other than the key fob. I would expect the car's battery life to be more than five years.
    if you followed what I wrote above and the warning still happens, then I would next replace the battery in the other FOB, then hold that keyfob next to the steering column and push the start button. If it's still a problem after that, you can try disconnecting the car's battery for a minute. that should reset any outstanding warnings in the car. If it comes back after that, you have another issue.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    one other thing I thought of. does the keyfob receiver have a rechargeable battery, so that it could function even if the car battery was dead? maybe because you aren't driving the car much, it has failed. I might try driving the car for an hour or so, and see if the alarm still keeps appearing.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 09-16-2018 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    F10 535i & E89 Z4 35i
    I replaced the battery in my wife's key fob, although it was still functioning, and the warning has gone away without further action. Many thanks for your good suggestions.