Thread: Cooling the chipset on laptop.

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50

Cooling the chipset on laptop.

Hi everyone, got a question for the pros. I recently upgraded the ram on my old Asus K55A laptop from 4 to 8gb and added a 1tb hard drive that spins at 7200rpm as opposed to the old one that runs in the 5k range and installed Win 10 Pro. I did all this to give it to my 9yo since his chrome book is limited to what it can do. To my surprise he can play Fortnite and GTA just fine without glitching. I was told the i5-3210m sucked for gaming and it would not work so I'm glad he has no issues and I don't have to buy him a new laptop. Just bought myself a new Lenovo. So my question is regarding the chipset, it runs ridiculously hot and has no heatsink. Would putting a heatsink with a piece of thermal pad help it or would it actually be worse for it? There is no way that I can see to hold the heatsink in place so I could use AS5 thermal paste so I'm considering the pad option. Any feedback will be appreciated. Also while I'm here, the bottom cover for the hd, memory and chipset has aluminum lining on it. Should I remove this if I'm trying to dissipate heat or does it actually help? Any tips, advice on helping this thing run cooler will be appreciated. I opened up the laptop and gave it a thorough cleaning along with new AS5 paste recently and it really helped. I noticed when using hashcat to crack that it did not freeze up like it occasionally would before.

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    I didn't realize this forum was dead.

My Cars
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You're better off asking in the regular Off-Topic forum here.