Thread: 1999 323i Heating problem.

My Cars
    1999 323i

1999 323i Heating problem.

Hello Eveyone!
    The car had a blown head gasket which was replaced.
    However, the car is still heating up!
    I flushed the system and checked that there's no clog (at least a serious one) pouring cold water with a hose which with any problems flowed. Then, I put everything back together and filled up the system and purged it with the front raised with a jack, heather on and engine off, then let the bubbles out from the expansion tank cap with the engine on for around 5 minutes and put the cap (brand new, eBay bought) back on. left the car running for at least 30 minutes, no problems so far. Then, I took if for a drive, stoped for a minute with the car on drive as if I was on a stop light for a few times, pressed on the gas and reved it up a little bit, no problem, the drive was around 10 minutes if not 15, everything OK so far.
    Then, I had a 1,000 ft to go, and the car started warming up, got to my house and the temperature on the hidden menu as well as the gauge started spiking I was driving on around 85 to 95 degrees cooling properly when it spiked.
    As it went above 100 degrees I waited for a couple minutes and when it hit 110 I gave it a little gas in park, the temperature started dropping up to 5 degrees, then it started going up to 120.
    Opened the hood and the brand new expansion cap is leaking, didn't dare to even touch it of course but as soon as I turned off the engine and waited a minute the leak from the cap was less evident, even the hissing was almost gone. Fired the car up for a few minutes, temperature spiked and turned it off, now the leak from the cap lasted longer as well as the hissing sound, 10 minutes later still hissing.
    I don't think I put the cap wrong because I know my way around cars and it's no rocket science but I'm human and everything is possible, also a defective radiator cap might be.
    I ran the car on water instead of coolant, I can't afford to keep putting coolant over and over until it's done but this shouldn't make a difference I think
    The cap did not blow and there's no other leakage.
    I also opened the engine oil cap and no signs of water/coolant in there.
    I was told by a mechanic that BMW engines get small fractures after heating up and that's where the flaw is which really doesn't make more sense to me other than him trying to put a new engine into it.
    Anyway, the car drives fine and everything seems in order except for the heating of course. Power is as it should and even when you put your feet on the gas it sounds very nice, as it should!
    Any advice or ideas?
    Cheers and thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Rule #1 for any E46: never install aftermarket cooling system parts! The cooling system is the car’s Achilles heel.

Rule #2 for any E46: replacing the head gasket in an overheated M5X engine is a waste of time. The block is usually beyond repair as the threaded holes in which the head bolts screw are weakened and will eventually strip.

Rule #3 for any E46: installing a used M5X engine is cheaper and in the long run a superior alternative to rebuilding an M5X engine with a blown head gasket.

Now, I’m off my soapbox. What is likely happening is exhaust gases are getting into the coolant. There’s a simple and free test to see if this is happening. Get the engine up to full operating temperature. Allow the engine to fully cool (overnight is best). Squeeze the upper radiator hose. If it’s hard to squeeze the head gasket is leaking. Also, you can buy test strips that will tell you if combustion byproducts are getting into the coolant.

Go to E46Fanatics for some great info on the E46.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    Thanks for your reply!
    I'll squeeze the upper radiator hose tomorrow, I had the car on for a while, before that, I opened and closed the reservoir cap making sure it was all the way down. I think it is defective because it still leaked, less than it did last time at that temperature but once it cooled down a bit enough to stop hissing it was dripping.
    This is a car that's nice to drive around but I wouldn't spend money on getting it a used engine, it has a few flaws that would make buying another one with a good engine cheaper. I'd just wanted to have it as an extra driver! A memory from the one I had brand new back in the day on my 20's!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Rule #1 for any E46: never install aftermarket cooling system parts! The cooling system is the car’s Achilles heel.

Rule #2 for any E46: replacing the head gasket in an overheated M5X engine is a waste of time. The block is usually beyond repair as the threaded holes in which the head bolts screw are weakened and will eventually strip.

Rule #3 for any E46: installing a used M5X engine is cheaper and in the long run a superior alternative to rebuilding an M5X engine with a blown head gasket.

Now, I’m off my soapbox. What is likely happening is exhaust gases are getting into the coolant. There’s a simple and free test to see if this is happening. Get the engine up to full operating temperature. Allow the engine to fully cool (overnight is best). Squeeze the upper radiator hose. If it’s hard to squeeze the head gasket is leaking. Also, you can buy test strips that will tell you if combustion byproducts are getting into the coolant.

Go to E46Fanatics for some great info on the E46.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    Update!
    The radiator hose was NOT hard to squeeze!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That likely means the head gasket is not leaking. I’d still buy the test kit to see if there are combustion products in the coolant.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    Thanks!
    I changed the Expansion Tank Cap for a new one, had the car on for almost 2 hours and the maximum temperature it reached was 102, it never spiked more than that.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Sounds like success. Keep an eye on the coolant temp via the obc readout.