Thread: Need some help with Oil Maintanence

My Cars
    E36 325i M3 Conversion

Need some help with Oil Maintanence

So I bought a frankenstein trackcar last year. Not off this board, but this is the car: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...e-Car-For-Sale Fair warning to all: I had/have no clue how to maintain this car, but I am learning. The following post will most certainly induce some eye-roll from those of you that know what youre doing. ...you've been warned.

When I got it, I had my local speed shop do a thorough once over including flushing all the fluids and getting it track ready. The guy completely overcharged me, I paid him and then basically told him off. Probably not the best move, but he charged me 3 grand to test/diagnose and then basically flush fluids, replace a wheel hub and resurface rotors.

Anyway, I need to top off the oil and soon do a full oil change. Yes it's been a year, about 6 track days and It probably should have been done by now, but I am learning many things the hard way. Since I told off the mechanic, I can;t call him to ask what he put in there.

So...I don't have a clue what oil weight is in there, but I see that it's not a disaster to top off with something different. I have a track day Tuesday and I don't have time for a full oil change, so I am thinking of adding Liqui 5w-40. Any feedback on that?

Next, I need to do a full oil change after Tuesday's track day when I have enough time. The stuff below is all greek to me and I have no clue how to properly maintain these items, some questions on each are below, any of your help is very appreciated.

o E46 (S54) dual sump baffled oil pan/pump retrofit -- I'm assuming nothing needs to be done here, just might mean the oil plug is located somewhere other than the typical spot I see on youtube video's for changing the oil in an e36. Correct?

o VAC Motorsports remote oil filter block -- I have no clue what this is.

o
    Peterson 50 micron inline oil filter - I can't even find a 50 micron version of this online, but based on the price I am assuming these don't need to get changed with each oil change. Am I correct? Is there an internal filter that does have to get changed?

o Setrab oil cooler - Any maintenance needs for this?

I know I'm in over my head, but feel free to remind me .

My Cars
    N/A
    Mixing oil weights and different brands is fine. None of the stuff you have listed require any maintenance except the filter. I'm guessing the oil filter block is there for the oil cooler. I'm not sure what's going on with the Peterson filter but I would assume that needs to be changed. Do you not have the stock oil filter at all?

My Cars
    E36 325i M3 Conversion
    thanks for the response, i don't have the stock filter. seems like the peterson has an internal filter that I need to replace when I change the oil.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    If you dont have time for an oil change, how will you have time for a tech inspection/safety inspection?