Thread: Changed Airbag module but can't clear error codes

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg

Changed Airbag module but can't clear error codes

My airbag light has been on and since I had a error code F0 I read that you need to replace the airbag control module. My car has a production date of 07/2000 and the donor car had a production date of 05/2001. Same number of airbags so it should not require recoding. I disconnected the battery and installed the module from the donor car but now I get an even longer list of error codes. I don't have the power supply error code anymore or the battery terminal error but I still have the passenger seat occupancy sensor code.
    Do I need to program the new module from the donor car?IMG_20180905_100424439.jpgIMG_20180908_235859704.jpgIMG_20180908_235912475.jpg
    Last edited by piancu; 09-09-2018 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Sounds like you unfortunately got a new module with the F0 as well. With the high rate of F0 codes in these cars it's unfortunately pretty likely to happen.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Get a module from a warm state, only ones still seems to work. I went thru probably 3 until I found a working one from CA. Buy it only with free return on Ebay, hardest part is finding a working module.

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg
    I'm going to call Nhtsa and report this as a safety issue. They are also charging exorbitant prices for the new part. I'm also thinking class action lawsuit. Let me know if any of you are interested since these modules are failing at a high rate now.

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Get a module from a warm state, only ones still seems to work. I went thru probably 3 until I found a working one from CA. Buy it only with free return on Ebay, hardest part is finding a working module.
    I'm in contact with the Nhtsa. I will update everyone on this issue as I have more information. I'm sorry, but this failure is inexcusable on BMW's part. This module should last thirty years since lives depend on it and BMW should replace it free of charge. Report all your failures to Nhtsa. They are replacing the takata airbags, why not the module?

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    I just sent mine out with the F0 code to a company that will repair/reset my module for $50. I'll report back when it comes in and I install it.

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg
    I found a good module from an E39, installed it and most codes cleared except 81 and 84 for side airbag sensors. The probability that both sensors are bad is low so I'm thinking it could be one of two things:
    1. The E39 had rear side impact airbags and I need to program the module for my car.
    2. Somebody disconnected the wires to the side airbags and didn't reconnect them or broke the pins.

If someone has coded an e39 module for an e38, please let me know your exact steps.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    My module was successfully repaired. They provide a free shipping label to them. Once repaired you pay $50, plus return shipping, which for me was $12.
    www.airbagsystems.com out of TX
    Responsive customer service email.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Quote Originally Posted by piancu View Post
    I found a good module from an E39, installed it and most codes cleared except 81 and 84 for side airbag sensors. The probability that both sensors are bad is low so I'm thinking it could be one of two things:
    1. The E39 had rear side impact airbags and I need to program the module for my car.
    2. Somebody disconnected the wires to the side airbags and didn't reconnect them or broke the pins.

If someone has coded an e39 module for an e38, please let me know your exact steps.
    There are no rear airbags in an e39

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by piancu View Post

You need NCS Expert for coding, I did exactly the same thing E39->E38, though I didnt have an error light after putting the E39 module in. Just done it cause the module was showing E39 and didnt like that. Many guides on the web, it wasnt too difficult. It is two steps, first you read your car's configuration from IKE module and then upload that into the airbag module.

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg
    I got NCS Expert but when I try to read my ABG module MRS3.C10, it says coding is faulty. I read my IKE module CDB name KMBI_E38.C12 but when I open it with NCS Dummy I don't see any airbag info.
    Is my original airbag module coding stored anywhere if it was never read before the F0 internal fault error? Thanks for the help

My Cars
    2007 bmw 328i
    Hey guys I have an issue with airbag light on my 2007 e90 and error codes A375- communication with airbag module disrupted and also error code 93eb - tcu out put short circuit at positive. Has anyone seen these before and what was the fix?
    Last edited by Mcal83; 09-19-2018 at 11:59 PM.

My Cars
    2000 z3 2.0L
    I have a 2006 120i automatic and had intermittent airbag light coming on during driving then going off when stopping at lights then back on again when driving - really strange! Error code logged was 93EB - TCU output short to positive.

I Looked up the wiring diagrams and found there is one feedback wire to from the TCU (in the boot) to the Airbag module under the centre console. Interestingly I don't even have a TCU? - just the wiring for one sitting there.

The offending wire is the red and black one going into the airbag module from the 54pin plug. I isolated that wire, erased the errors with INPA and presto - the airbag light no longer comes on..

Now isolating the wire stops the positive short feedback error to the airbag unit but is not solving the actual short in that wire - given it originates at a plug sitting on the floor of my boot under the carpet - its likely theres an issue with moisture in the plug. In my case there is no TCU and I'm not intending installing one so I'm hoping another issue doesn't present itself.

Hope this helps someone else as I was stumped for days and required lots of research to trace the wiring. I found I didn't have to completely remove the centre console - I managed to loosen and lift it sufficiently to get access to the airbag module.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by dancor1 View Post
    I have a 2006 120i automatic and had intermittent airbag light coming on during driving then going off when stopping at lights then back on again when driving - really strange! Error code logged was 93EB - TCU output short to positive.

I Looked up the wiring diagrams and found there is one feedback wire to from the TCU (in the boot) to the Airbag module under the centre console. Interestingly I don't even have a TCU? - just the wiring for one sitting there.

The offending wire is the red and black one going into the airbag module from the 54pin plug. I isolated that wire, erased the errors with INPA and presto - the airbag light no longer comes on..

Now isolating the wire stops the positive short feedback error to the airbag unit but is not solving the actual short in that wire - given it originates at a plug sitting on the floor of my boot under the carpet - its likely theres an issue with moisture in the plug. In my case there is no TCU and I'm not intending installing one so I'm hoping another issue doesn't present itself.

Hope this helps someone else as I was stumped for days and required lots of research to trace the wiring. I found I didn't have to completely remove the centre console - I managed to loosen and lift it sufficiently to get access to the airbag module.
    This thread is located in the E38 (7-series) forum, so your tip may be more helpful to someone else in the 1 series forum if you create a thread and post it up there.

In regards to the original poster, who posted this over a year ago, and anyone else who reads this thread in the future, the first thing you should check with random airbag errors in the E39 and E38 platforms is the ignition switch. I recently had an airbag light on in the E39, and I couldn't read the module in INPA. It would give an error. What I found in the E39 was that sometimes only 6-7 volts of power was being fed to fuses 40-47 (or somewhere in that range). I believe fuse 46 or something was that of the airbag module. I only figured this out because I was installing a rear sunshade in the E39 and it wasn't working (unrelated issue, but one of the rear sunshade fuses is 40-something). There were NO other symptoms of this weird voltage issue, despite the radio and other electrical devices being on that bank of fuses.

What I found is that the low voltage will throw codes and/or trigger the airbag light and was causing INPA not to be able to read it. In my case, the airbag light would sometimes be on and sometimes be off. Sometime it would even flicker. That would be based on the day and the turn of the ignition switch, which was sometimes making good contact and sometimes not.

According to wiring diagrams, the only source of power to those fuses and the airbag module is through the ignition switch. Additionally, the passenger vanity light bulbs get power directly from the ignition switch. Therefore, open the passenger visor mirror to turn on the lights and look for weird electrical issues. In my case, opening the passenger visor would trigger the airbag light. Close the mirror and it would go away. You're essentially eating up whatever power was left to those fuses through the defective/dirty ignition switch contacts.

After replacing the ignition switch, all issues went away, and I could successfully access the module in INPA.

So for all of those people having issues with power codes and connecting to and commanding the airbag modules, check the voltage to the airbag fuse and check your ignition switch! (a well known issue in these cars)
    Last edited by racer2086; 12-07-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i

Same Problem with 2006 330i

Dancor1,

I have the same problem (93eb) with my son's 2006 330i, and I found an unused connector in the floor of the trunk with a Red/Black wire; it just happens to have 12 volts on the wire. My son told me that the problem started after driving in heavy rain, but I don't know how the voltage could have been caused by that.

I'll take the console apart and take the Red/Black wire out of the connector to see what happens.

Thanks for your post!

nashville_bill

Quote Originally Posted by dancor1 View Post