Thread: E30 Oil Level Matic. I NEED YOUR HELP!

My Cars
    1987 325i Cabrio

E30 Oil Level Matic. I NEED YOUR HELP!

Here we go.

I recently purchased a NOS Valvoline oil-level-Matic... I am a HUGE sucker for e30 accessories.

If you don’t know what this is let me explain.

Valvoline Oil-Level-Matic: simply put, an electronic dip stick. There is a reservoir, a pump, a computer, and a dip stick. When the Oil Level light (from the check panel up above) turns on the system turns on and pumps oil into your engine through the dip stick and into the oil pan.

Here is a great write up on how to install it.
    I have the number 1 option.
    [oil level Matic instructional](https://www.drive2.com/l/3195135/)

Here is my problem: I need a custom reservoir for my oil level Matic so I can put it in my 87 325ic.

The oil level Matic mounts next to the drivers side strut tower, using the fender 10mm bolts.
    “Luckily” I have the early model cooling system, so the reservoir tank isn’t in the way, however.

THE PROBLEM: e30 Verts have strut tower reinforcements. So my oil level Matic won’t fit where it’s suppose to.

I know I know, I should have checked before buying. But it was such a stupid deal, the person didn’t know what they had, so in a blind 80s rage I bought it. I’m determined to make it work.

I’m thinking that I need to fabricate a reservoir that fits in the same spot but goes under or avoids the strut reinforcement.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make one? Where to start? Anyone up to the challenge?

If you made it this far, I’m sorry.

-David

Here is my potential solution!

After a very long and in-depth conversation with my friend who does custom fabrications this is what we came up with.

We will have a custom oil reservoir in the trunk of the car and install piping that will go from the trunk to the engine bay.

In the engine bay on the drivers side (where the original reservoir would go) we will mount a custom box to house the computer, pump, and wires.

So in theory the system is set up as if it were stock except it’s drawing from the truck via a tube to a reservoir. Our concerns are if the pump will be strong enough to pump that distance. The original pump says 12v on it. We are looking at other 12v pumps that would be stronger.

All the while we are preserving the original reservoir by not using it.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this alternative solution?

I know we are going WAY over board with this but I am still determined to get this in my car!

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    I agree the original pump like in the pictures isn't up to the task. It has only a short downhill run. Even if it can pump the distance, it probably wouldn't manage adequate flow rate. After reading the description, it seems like the system starts up and runs for a fixed time. I assume it expects to deliver approximately 1 qt or liter as that's when the sensor triggers. If it can't flow that much it will run more often. On the flip side, a different pump might flow too much. Keep that in mind. Your best bet would be to modify or fabricate a new reservoir that sits in the original location. But I'm sure that would be more difficult.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1987 325i Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    I agree the original pump like in the pictures isn't up to the task. It has only a short downhill run. Even if it can pump the distance, it probably wouldn't manage adequate flow rate. After reading the description, it seems like the system starts up and runs for a fixed time. I assume it expects to deliver approximately 1 qt or liter as that's when the sensor triggers. If it can't flow that much it will run more often. On the flip side, a different pump might flow too much. Keep that in mind. Your best bet would be to modify or fabricate a new reservoir that sits in the original location. But I'm sure that would be more difficult.
    Thank you sir!

We were going to set up the system as if it did fit and run a flow test. I’ll let you know how much it puts out in 30 seconds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    93 525iT,91 318i
    Curious to know what's causing it to need continuous oil filling?

My Cars
    1987 325i Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by locknload View Post
    Curious to know what's causing it to need continuous oil filling?
    Absolutly nothing....
    I have to maybe put in some oil once in between each oil change.

I’m trying to mitigate that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    plus, that super cool. I had never even heard of something like that till this post
    No e30s again.