Thread: Power Steering Pump, Suction Hose and Sepentine Belt Replaced - Still hard to steer

My Cars
    2004 330xi

Power Steering Pump, Suction Hose and Sepentine Belt Replaced - Still hard to steer

On my 2004 330xi I was having intermittent power steering issues and could hear a pretty quiet but high pitched squeak/rubbing sound when I turn the wheels. I started with replacing my serpentine belt and tensioners with no change. I saw a video that suggested I siphon out enough of the reservoir to see if I had circulation while the car was running. I did not see any fluid movement (assuming I did this test correctly) so today I replaced the pump, the reservoir and the suction hose. It's better but still too stiff and not smooth and the squeak is still there. I siphoned down the reservoir and again saw no circulation so not even sure if the pump was my problem. Not sure what to try next. Replace the return hose? The pressure hose? Also, the new pump I installed had the suction nipple pointing in a way that it crammed the hose against the block. Not pinching it off but I'm wondering if it's ok for the hose to be running up against the block right above the pump? I should note I was not able to get car in the air but I cranked the steering lock to lock a few times before I stated the engine.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
    Cams

My Cars
    2003 330d+ 2004 318i
    Check the crankshaft vibration damper for deterioration of the centre rubber section, if this begins to spin on the crankshaft you only get limited spin of the belts thus making steering difficult. If you remove the viscous fan and cover you can use a mirror to check the state of the vibration damper from above.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    just4u, I would hav never thought of that!! Great catch.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Not sure about this...pulley bolted to inner ring of damper?

Ok, SERP runs on outer ring of damper .way to diagnose other than clear misalignment in/out is to take white touch up paint and draw a radial line across damper inner/outer ring and tuber interface. Then you can easily see if damper outer ring is slipped.
    Last edited by SloopJohnB; 09-13-2018 at 01:42 AM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Upon my extensive inquiry for abnormal drive-time vibration....I also discovered E46 power steering issues. My E46, my first, I discovered what I thought to be a failed power steering system...when mentioned on the 3 major BMW sites, little to almost no information became available...at least for me....then..............My e46 wagon today...has no ps. Yes, it does steer well unassited...similar to pre-1960's including MG, Morgan, Austin Healy....ROVER p5....and the 1963 Plymouth Valiant......I got strong arms!