Thread: MCS vs AST vs JRZ vs Moton

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal

MCS vs AST vs JRZ vs Moton

Hi all,

I think I'm finally ready to graduate from my STANCE coilovers to something that is much better. I have their single adjustable coils and feel that I need way more bump damping, so instead of rebuilding and revalving them, I'm going with a well known company that can give me actual product support. I'm looking at double adjustable systems, unsure of remote canisters or not yet. I already have rear perches, springs and Ground Control camber plates, so I really only need the struts/shocks. The estimated pricing I've gotten cause I can get wholesale on some stuff has me wondering what is the best for price and support:

AST: 2-way remote for $3900 and 3-way remote for $4500 (I believe this is wholesale pricing, or better than usual pricing)
    MCS: 2-way non-remote for $3400 and 2-way remote for $4400. All MCS are without all accessories compared to the others, so final price will be higher
    Moton: 2-way remote for $5100
    JRZ: 2-way non-remote for $4100 (Apex deal for $3400 maybe) and 2-way remote for $5400 (Apex deal for $4300 maybe)

My needs are for my autocross car. Front rates will vary from 500-700, rear rates will vary from 650-1000. I'm basically wondering if any of these kits can handle the rates with out of the box valving, and which company will offer the best support when I need it.

Has anybody had a few of these kits and could compare them and the company's service?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Initial support would likely come from the distributor, eg Bimmerworld, Ground Control, etc. So choose carefully who you buy them from.
    I'm pretty sure all of those will handle 1,000lb/in springs, and more.
    Others will hopefully add real world experience with your list. I think the question is are all those still supported as far as parts and rebuilds?
    The MCS are the latest go-to, used in several spec classes, and are generally believed to be a great damper.

For autocross, I sincerely doubt you need remote reservoirs. Not to say a company may add other desirable qualities on shocks they only sell as remote.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 09-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Personally, I would pick a distributor FIRST and talk to them. Something this important (and expensive), the assistance of a real PRO is going to make or break it IMO.

Cant go wrong with any option listed.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Personally, I would pick a distributor FIRST and talk to them. Something this important (and expensive), the assistance of a real PRO is going to make or break it IMO.

Cant go wrong with any option listed.
    100% this. The support to help dial in the shock is much more important than you'd expect.

Other options to add to your list would be the Ohlins, but depending on your car this might get pricey quick.

You can't go wrong with the options listed, they're all excellent and an enormous upgrade over the Stance stuff. MCS are the new shiny (and I have them, and love them) but the AST/Moton and JRZ products are also excellent.

Fun fact, the founders of MCS came from Moton and JRZ. It's an incestuous field.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    Gotcha, gonna have to give Bimmerworld and Apex Wheels a call then. I don't trust ECS for this stuff and they are the source for the AST/Moton stuff.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Talk to these guys. They source and service everything and will build you a setup to suit your needs, and will give you a no BS take on the various options. And like others mentioned, they provide the most important aspect of a suspension package - the expertise to build you what you need. They're not just not just sales guys. Plus Angelo is an absolute gem of a human being (and he learned from Joe Stimola).

https://www.anzesuspension.com/