Thread: Top won't unlatch windscreen top rail / red blink

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Top won't unlatch windscreen top rail / red blink

Hi folks,

I have read tons of posts about the micro-switch, the red hydraulic disabling switch, the drains, the rear left hydraulic motor, the trunk rack being in low position, manual opening and whatnot. But my problem is that I can't even get my roof to unlatch from its closed position. Now i realize this is ideal to it being stuck open, but I still want to operate my top, here are my specifics:

Top was working fine today, I got in and went down a few blocks, came to a stop and decided to drop the roof, the windows went down halfway, the front motor made the typical noise to unlatch...but then nothing happened. I tried pressing it again and nothing, now I am dealing with a permanent red blinking light, I tried initiating the closing sequence thinking it would reset something and allow it to reopen, and it will whirl and the motor will then loudly squeal but the red blinking light remains.

I am not sure what the problem is, most people have the top unlatch and then it wont go down, or its down and it wont go up, but i couldnt find any posts of somebody with their top failing to unlatch. I opened the center panel in the top and fiddled around with the hex key but nothing seemed to loosen/unlatch and I felt like I was going to just make it worse so I left it alone.

Some sensor or something failing to engage is all I can think of but I have no idea where to begin the diagnosis.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Bob

PS>
    Sorry for making the 60 billionth thread about the roof...

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Follow-up, it worked fine in the morning. Odd it didnt work at night

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    +Follow-up, it worked the next morning just fine! Then that evening it wouldnt lower again. Is there some setting that stops the top from going down at night? I have read the thermostat can affect this, but my car reads the outside temp accurately and this is 75+ degree weather...I am confused how this is occurring.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Thermostat? I don't think so either the motor latch assy or the wiring along the driver side of the top or the micro switches in the storage unit in the trunk or the the module for the top system. So there cam be many things, need to get it dx

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I cant imagine how a motor could be at fault when the top works just fine during the day, it opens and closes all day long, but once 11PM comes around it simply wont unlatch. I really thought it was a sensor or a setting im unaware of that is disabling the convertible top operation during night-time somehow.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Just as an experiment I went ahead and kept the top down before nightfall. Now it is down and wont go up at night either lol. It is the latch, it simply wont unlatch at night, this is the oddest situation.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    What do you mean “it won’t go up at night either”. You initially complained about unlatching problem not top up and down problem. There are 2 motors that operate the soft top. One that locks and unlocks the front latches to secure to windshield. The other motor is the one that moves the top up and down. The latching system sometimes gets stuck while unlatching and a small hit from below while the motor the running will help it finally disengage from the windshield. If that’s the condition then the windshield rings and the latching hooks need some lubrication. If there is no motor sound/response whatsoever during the unlatching phase then the unlatching motor needs fuse or replacement or the micro switch needs troubleshooting. If the problem is not in the unlatching but in the moving up and down portion then the second motor is the culprit which is notorious for water corrosion due to poor location.

Before you start troubleshooting the soft top you should confirm your battery condition is not poor especially when the roof starts failing. If you have a parasitic drain that’s draining your battery all night then it could potentially cause issues like this that occur only during a specific time of the day. Try to measure your battery voltage when the problem occurs.