Thread: ***2004 325i PROJECT CAR HELP *** I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START ***

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

Cool ***2004 325i PROJECT CAR HELP *** I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START ***

Hey all. I am new to the forum and appreciate your time and consideration in advance. I will be on here much more now that I have a new project car. Please check the details below and let me know your opinions. Any advice and direction is greatly appreciated.

A little about myself. I love working on cars although I have not been to school for it. I am more of a DIY'er. My knowledge level is more of a novice I would say although I know much more than the average do-it-yourselfer' and not quite as much as a dealership mechanic. I bought this 2004 325i which was involved in a front end collision for next to nothing. It would not start. I noticed a fair amount of hoses are worn or either ruptured from the collision impact. Power steering and trans hoses in particular have lots of fluid around the quick disconnects. Steering rack looks to be leaking as well but can't tell if it's more residual fluid from other leaking areas. I want to get this vehicle cranked. Where would you say I start? Below is a list of items and parts that I have purchased thus far although I haven't installed anything yet. Please let me know your opinions of where I need to start in order to crank so that I can actually get the vehicle in my garage to work on. Where would you start??

Current Parts list:
    -Trans Fluid, Filter, and Gasket
    -Trans cooler & hoses
    -Power steering hoses-Oil Pan gasket, Oil, Oil Filter
    -Thermostat and gasket
    -Water pump and gasket
    -Fan clutch and new fan
    -ATF Fluid x2 for trans flush
    -A/C drive belt
    -Main drive belt

Thank you all kindly for your time and I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts

-James
    Charleston, SC
    (443) 557-8099

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    How many miles on the car? Be advised that BMW sourced automatic transmissions from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are different transmissions. The GM box has a fluid pan with smooth sides. The ZF box has an oil pan with ribbed sides. Transmission fluid filters, pan gaskets, pan bolts and transmission fluids are different.

id start with the cooling system repair. Why? It’s the Achilles heel of the E46. The new cooling system parts need to be made by the supplier to BMW. Aftermarket cooling system parts will fail. The only coolant to use is from BMW. Mix it with DISTILLED water at a 50/50 ratio.

Where to buy quality parts? Try FCPEuro.

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    First things first. If I were you, I would make damn sure the collision damage isn't so much that the car will never look right - hood, fenders and bumper will not line up, etc. If not, you may be dumping a lot of money and time into something that won't be worth much after you do get it running.

As far as not starting... is it turning over, but not firing? Battery weak? You might get a code reader, or get someone to read the codes for you, that might tell you what's going on. Could be as simple as a blown fuel pump fuse, or a loose ground cable, or as serious as the DME being dead from having been jarred to hard in the accident.

The hoses and cooling maintenance are important as well, but first make sure it's worth your while to fix it.