Thread: Q regarding roof motor oil, trunk placement

My Cars
    bmw z4

Q regarding roof motor oil, trunk placement

Hi all-I just replaced the hydraulic motor on my 2007 Z4, and have two questions before I go about re-assembly:

1-I lost a marginal amount of hydraulic fluid changing over the lines; really just whatever flowed out when I removed the lines from the old unit. The reservoir on the new unit looks to be about half full when laid on it's side. does it need to be topped off before re-installing, and if so, how do I go about that effectively?

2-If I wanted to, how would I go about installing the motor in the trunk? Is this a big job?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I was able to re-house the hydraulic motor in the trunk area. I did not top off the motor oil. I have the motor connected, and the top re-installed; the front locking motor is working fine, however, the hydraulic motor is not functioning. I hear it whirring when I hold the "down" button(I currently have it in the "up" position), but the top doesn't move. Any thoughts? Should I try starting it in the "down" position? Thanks for any ideas...
    Last edited by rjd2; 09-07-2018 at 08:38 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I am curious if it matters if the pump is mounted with reservoir side up or partially up?
    Snap a pic of your install i the boot and post it up for us to see. If I remember correctly, the pump removes air pockets on its own but if there is no fluid being pumped them all your doing is pushing air and thats not sufficient enough for all the hydros to work as designed.

Dean

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    There are a number of factors which can cause your problems.

1. CDSWEET is correct the motor/pump must be sort of upright so the fuild can feed into the hydo system.

2. Have you reset the emergeny release (red handle).

3. If yes, with the handle reset, will the top still move freely (as if the red handle has been engaged) ? If yes, then you may have a kink in the bowden cable from relocating to the trunk. There are 3 torx screws holding the bowden cable to the motor/pump. Disengage then and now try moving the top with the electrical system.

4. Ok, if the afformention dosen't help. How many hydo lines did you change out? Since the motor is in the trunk now you may need to add hydo fluid. The brass/copper screw in the middle of the plastic top is removed and you can add fuild thru the hole. after adding fluid screw it tight again. Ok, your going to need two people now. The one person in the car trying the up/down button; the other should be in the trunk with a flashlight trained on the white housing of the motor/pump checking to see if the fluid is moving....if it totally drains out add more until there's a little left & the top should start moving. This may take 2 or three try's before the top moves & the air is removed from the system.

5. Ok, if that's not it. When changing out the hydo lines, you reinstalled everything in the exact same order that you removed them?? What I'm trying to say is that the lines must be installed in the exact same way or the hydo system won't work. The exact two line on one banjo bolt and the other 2 line on the other banjo bolt.

Hope this helps.