Thread: Dash Instrumentation

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S

Dash Instrumentation

I'm rebuilding my car for track use but have decided I'd like to keep it street legal. As a result, I want to retain some instrumentation that would allow for passing inspections, knowing that it will be a challenge if i remove things such as ABS, SRS, CEL, etc. lighting. I think I can get through based on where I go for inspections. That said, I've been looking at a few new technologies that either leverage your OBD2 plug for signals vs traditional gauge wiring, or GPS signal for speed. Tach is easy to obtain for most gauges, but not speedo. Anyone done a GPS speedometer? I've been having a hard time finding any OBD2 based analogue style gauges that work with cars from 1998 or older. Most seem to function mainly with 2005 or newer OBD2/OBD3. Given that speed is likely not something I pay much attention to on the track and only on the street, I'm not so concerned about signal availability. Its pretty rare I'd be driving many places that don't have GPS available. Thinking of something along the lines of this which has a small speedo embedded into the tach display with odometer.Attachment 636152GR4.5-DUALGPS-TS-03T_1.png

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Why are you wanting to delete your dash if you are trying to keep it street legal? I am not understanding the reason for looking at aftermarket OBD2 gauges for a street car that presumably has all the factory sensors remaining. Just wanting to know what you are trying to accomplish so it helps guide anyone else's feedback.

I am running an AIM digital dash which has provisions for speed, but all OEM sensors are deleted and car is FAR from street legal.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Why do you need to delete the stock dash in order to put it on track?

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Why are you wanting to delete your dash if you are trying to keep it street legal? I am not understanding the reason for looking at aftermarket OBD2 gauges for a street car that presumably has all the factory sensors remaining. Just wanting to know what you are trying to accomplish so it helps guide anyone else's feedback.

I am running an AIM digital dash which has provisions for speed, but all OEM sensors are deleted and car is FAR from street legal.
    Guess I should clarify the reference to street legal since that's probably not entirely accurate. I'm not too interested in some of the methods for accomplishing a standard safety inspection by fooling the system to suppress the lights, and I can get it through without them if they're not present, but I'll fail if they're present and light up showing a CEL, SRS, etc. I don't have front airbags, seats are fixed back, and with a roll bar, harnesses, and other modifications to the interior, street legal is likely a bit of a stretch in most cases. In mine though, I can get it to pass but not with warning lights. I have a smaller steering wheel, and would like to have my tach centered and more visible, which the existing cluster won't allow for. I'd rather use the space in the dash where the cluster sits for gauges I need, rather than for those I don't such as fuel. I can put that elsewhere, and would prefer a more accurate therm/pressure gauge in a better location than off to the side somewhere.

This is all somewhat preference and really doesn't have much relevance to the question though. Autometer makes their AirDrive system which is OBD2 enabled, but it lacks speedo, and Defi makes a similar setup, but only for more current systems. AIM and other full race instrumentation would work but I prefer traditional sweep gauges (although if necessary I guess I could adapt to an LED display). Are there any other known brands that make non-GPS enabled speedo's that connect into the OBD port? I could mount a tablet with sweep style gauges but that introduces a new mounting requirement and I'd just prefer to insert a blank inside the existing cluster spot with gauge holes.