Thread: Horrible screech when sliding seat

My Cars
    1998 323iC

Horrible screech when sliding seat

I have an 98 vert with manual seats. I must have a piece of gravel or a coin in the track under my driver’s side seat because every couple days it screeches when I slide it forward and sometimes won’t go all the way forward. This’ll last a couple trips, then fix itself for a while. I can’t see much of the track because of all the trim along the bottom of the seat, so I’m thinking I’ll have to pull the seat. How much of a hassle am I in for if I can’t just shake watever it is out and have to take the track apart?

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    You should take the seat out while it's still able to move. It's an easy process. slide it all the way back and remove the front fasteners then slide it forward and remove the back two. Unplug any wiring under the seat and take it out for access to the tracks. If you look under the seat with a flashlight you may see the problem and be able to pick it out with a tool without removal. Slide it to both limits when looking underneath.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by woody328is View Post
    You should take the seat out while it's still able to move. It's an easy process. slide it all the way back and remove the front fasteners then slide it forward and remove the back two. Unplug any wiring under the seat and take it out for access to the tracks. If you look under the seat with a flashlight you may see the problem and be able to pick it out with a tool without removal. Slide it to both limits when looking underneath.
    Exactly, because once it will not move you will not be able to access all 4 retaining bolts and then your FUBAR'ed

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    The seat rails might also just need to be lubricated, they get stuck pretty easily if they're dry and rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Exactly, because once it will not move you will not be able to access all 4 retaining bolts and then your FUBAR'ed
    I've had to cut out one e36 seat rail and can confirm that job really sucks.

My Cars
    1998 323iC
    Update: the weekend schedule & weather finally aligned and I yanked the seat yesterday. The rail started sliding smoothly as soon as I had the seat turned sideways. I hit both rails with some canned air followed by the shop vac, anyway, and got the carpet pretty well while I had access. What's the recommended lubricant for those- would silicone spray work now that I have the seat reinstalled?

Thanks for the advice above!