Thread: Retrofitting heated steering wheel

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000

Retrofitting heated steering wheel

Hi Guys

I’m planning to upgrade my old E36 with a nice looking e39.
    In this case, I would like to buy the facelift model 2001 - 2003, with all the features it had back then. Such as PDC(front and rear), cruise control, heated steering wheel etc.
    Now to the point, most models for sale here in Denmark have all these features, besides the heated steering wheel. The few models that have the heated steering wheel, are lacking the PDC or some other features. So there is no way for me to get the "whole" package here.
    The ones in best shape, are also the ones missing the heated steering wheel, they have the multi-function 4 prong steering wheel though, so I’m probably gonna get one of these models.

My question goes, is the heated steering wheel a plug and play in the e39(wiring in place), as I would really like to have this feature?

Thanks

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    No, at least in the USA it's not pre-wired for a heated steering wheel.
    You'd also need a clock-spring (slip ring) with the extra 2 wire connector for a heated steering wheel, along with a steering wheel that has the heated bits built in.
    Then, you'd have to wire it up, get the correct switch & install that (with a proper fuse).
    While it's not tremendously difficult, it's definitely not plug & play.
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 09-04-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Then he wants the dual stage airbag on a single stage airbag. I don't know is it worth it? Nah!!!!

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Thanks guys I'll have to think about it.
    16valex, when you say dual stage airbag, do you mean this kind of wheel:

https://imagecdn2.panjo.com/images/d...e13ffde8d3.jpg

I suppose the later e39 models, came with this kind of steering wheel from stock, at least what I have seen here.
    I am not sure I understand what you mean by swapping a dual stage on a single stage.
    My point was to install the whole wheel, that already includes the heated function.
    Last edited by mamij; 09-19-2018 at 10:02 AM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Also interested: So were there any of the three spoke dual-stage airbag equipped ///M steering wheels made with a heated option? No = won't attempt.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by mamij View Post
    Thanks guys I'll have to think about it.
    16valex, when you say dual stage airbag, do you mean this kind of wheel:

https://imagecdn2.panjo.com/images/d...e13ffde8d3.jpg

I suppose the later e39 models, came with this kind of steering wheel from stock, at least what I have seen here.
    I am not sure I understand what you mean by swapping a dual stage on a single stage.
    My point was to install the whole wheel, that already includes the heated function.
    Sorry, I missed understood you.

The none sport e39 from 99 and up usually came with heated steering wheel here at least in the USA, and they are all dual stage airbag steering wheel. What I meant was to put a dual stage air bag steering wheel in single stage steering wheel cars are almost impossible and not worth it at all.

BTW, I have an excellent heated steering wheel for 99-03 steering wheel, all you need now as the previous suggestion is a heated clock spring to do the retro-fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    Also interested: So were there any of the three spoke dual-stage airbag equipped ///M steering wheels made with a heated option? No = won't attempt.
    No, no such thing in E39 world. I wish it has. E39 01-03 model sport steering wheels are the best looking of all time in my opinion.

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    BTW, I have an excellent heated steering wheel for 99-03 steering wheel, all you need now as the previous suggestion is a heated clock spring to do the retro-fit.
    I could be interested in buying the wheel, I'll let you know, when I've bought the car and if I am going to need the wheel
    Last edited by mamij; 10-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.