Thread: Engine sputtering and going into limp mode

My Cars
    2011 BMW 135i

Engine sputtering and going into limp mode

Hi All,

After a year and a half of reading through these forums and thinking I had solved the problem and about $10,000 later the problem has still not be solved! Any and all explanations are heavily welcomed!

Here is my most recent message to them (September 4th, 2018):
    Hi Aaron,

After reinstalling the COBB 'AGAIN' the same problems starting occurring. So I uninstalled it again and brought it to a BMW specialized mechanic who scanned the car and found that the COBB tune was in fact still installed on the car even though I had uninstalled it on the Accessport. Only after they reset my entire idrive ECU software did it completely uninstall the COBB tune. Since then, I have reinstalled the tune and my engine is STILL sputters at 3-4k RPMS. And yesterday, I was going about 3000 RPM on 3rd gear and the car sputtered and went into limp mode. I then proceeded to check for codes on the scanner and there were ZERO codes!

Do you think this might have something to do with the Accessport itself?

Adam

I will post my conversation with COBB here (Start from the bottom):

Aaron (COBB Support)
    Aug 17, 5:59 PM CDT
    Yea this could be a simple fix if its only dirty valves. If its additionally a random electrical thing, that will be a bit bigger of an undertaking and require a BMW mechanic to run tests to see exactly whats happening. If its doing it while the Accessport is completely uninstalled it should be easier to "find" the issue. I recommend keeping the AP uninstalled until the issue is fully resolved. Have a good weekend!
    Adam Wong
    Aug 17, 5:55 PM CDT
    And yes, no more check engine codes after I completely uninstalled the Accessport! And I agree with your last statement regarding heavy vs. lower loads.

Adam

Adam Wong
    Aug 17, 5:53 PM CDT
    Hi Aaron,

Yes, I completely uninstalled the Accessport and even that did not fix the problems.

To answer your question. No, I have no gotten the intake valves cleaned. You may have a great point/solution if you think that could be the problem!

I will keep you posted on this after I get it cleaned!

Thanks,

Adam

Aaron (COBB Support)
    Aug 17, 10:35 AM CDT
    Hey Adam,

Thanks for providing those pictures. Everything looks good and your still on the very latest firmware that we have thousands of other 135i BMWs currently running on.

Just a quick heads up, in those screen shots your Accessport is currently not installed to your vehicle. Which in that state no relicensing is needed as it ready to be reinstalled when your ready.

This is a quite a unique case and suggest there are deeper things that might be occurring here that are not possible to fix over email or a phone call. As Cristhian mentioned earlier and is exactly the same question I have for you now. When was the last time your have had the intake valves cleaned (walnut blasted)? Some of these symptoms you mentioned do pop up from excessively dirty intake valves which plagues all direct injection turbo vehicles. All of the other things that you have replaced up to this point is really great and that helps but there is still something lingering here. Your getting no check engine codes?

The other thing that might be happening is that there is some intermittent electrical issue popping up under that heavy load scenario that is not present at lower loads. Thanks.
    Adam Wong
    Aug 16, 11:26 PM CDT
    Hey Cristhian,

Attached are the photos you asked from me.

Thanks,

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Cristhian Rosales (COBB Support)
    Aug 16, 1:18 PM CDT
    Hey Adam,

You are correct, relicensing will not fix corrupted files and bugs as that is accomplished with firmware updates. Relicensing will install the same exact calibration that is currently on the vehicle. With pictures of the About AP screen I can confirm what firmware you are on.
    Adam Wong
    Aug 15, 12:42 PM CDT
    This sounds good! However, will relicensing fix corrupted files and bugs? It sounds like relicensing is just simply giving me a new license on your product. Correct me if I am wrong please!

In the meantime, I will send over the photos you have asked for.

Thanks,

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Aug 15, 12:30 PM CDT
    Hey Adam,

We can actually relicense AP's remotely via email! If you could please send over a picture of your About Accessport screen! You might need to take more than one picture of the about AP screen in order to capture all of the data. You can find it by going to HELP---->ABOUT ACCESSPORT on the unit.

Adam Wong
    Aug 13, 6:30 PM CDT
    Hey Christian,

I think a relicense may be what I need because it seems that the firmware got corrupted somehow after only a few months of being in use. Like I said, I have uninstalled and reinstalled different maps as well as Accessport altogether with still no luck.

I can send you guys the Accessport if that helps?

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Aug 13, 6:18 PM CDT
    Hey Adam,

I think you are referring to a Accessport relicense. What that does is set the Accessport back to an uninstalled state and load a new tuning license on the vehicle. However that will be with the same firmware and the same exact calibrations that are on your AP.
    Adam Wong
    Aug 9, 4:12 PM CDT
    Hey Cristhian,

This was the email I sent to you guys right after my initial email:

“Hi again!

Looks like you guys just need to send me this kind of program that reverts the Accessport back to it's original factory settings like you guys did with this guy:
    support@cobbtuning.com

Thanks,

Adam”

(I really think you guys just need to send me some sort of new firmware to overwrite the current one)

I still have all of the modifications that I listed still on the car. Everything except for the Accessport software/firmware.

Thanks,

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Aug 9, 3:59 PM CDT
    Hey Adam,

Could you confirm with me what case you are referring to exactly? That information was not included in your follow-up email. When you uninstalled the Accessport, we're the FMIC and downpipe reverted back to stock as well? When the vehicle was going into limp mode what DTC codes we're present?
    Adam Wong
    Aug 9, 3:16 PM CDT
    Hey Cristhian,

I was wondering if you were going to get back to me about my Accessport issue?

Thanks,

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:07:59 PM
    To: COBB Support
    Subject: Re: [COBB Support] Re: Stage 2+ FMIC Issues

Hey Cristhian,

-aFe catback exhaust
    -aFe cold air intake
    -COBB FMIC
    -COBB charge pipe
    -COBB catted downpipe

Mileage: 82,000km

I think I have the newest version. Also updated the firmware online.

What made everything go away was uninstalling the Accessport altogether. Thus, I think I have the same problem as the Subaru guy that I mentioned in my follow-up email.

Also remember that with these exact modifications, everything was running perfectly for about 2 months with the stage 2+ (FMIC) sport map.

Also, I just had sparkplugs, ignition coils and all 6 injectors replaced and the problem still persisted until I completely uninstalled.

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Adam Wong
    Aug 8, 6:08 PM CDT
    Hey Cristhian,

-aFe catback exhaust
    -aFe cold air intake
    -COBB FMIC
    -COBB charge pipe
    -COBB catted downpipe

Mileage: 82,000km

I think I have the newest version. Also updated the firmware online.

What made everything go away was uninstalling the Accessport altogether. Thus, I think I have the same problem as the Subaru guy that I mentioned in my follow-up email.

Also remember that with these exact modifications, everything was running perfectly for about 2 months with the stage 2+ (FMIC) sport map.

Also, I just had sparkplugs, ignition coils and all 6 injectors replaced and the problem still persisted until I completely uninstalled.

Adam

Get Outlook for iOS

Aug 8, 3:51 PM CDT
    Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Cobb support! Sorry for the delay in the response! So that I can better assist you, could you please list the following;

• Exact modifications on the vehicle
    • Vehicle mileage
    • What version OTS map is flashed on the vehicle
    • What exact maintenance service caused the ‘engine malfunction, reduced power’ issues to go away

May I ask, to your knowledge when was the last time the vehicle's engine had a intake valve cleaning?
    Adam Wong
    Aug 5, 8:54 AM CDT
    Hello,
    I have had your COBB Accessport and all of the stage 2+ (including FMIC) parts installed on my 2011 135i N55 since early 2017. I also live in Vancouver, Canada and I know that our Chevron 94 octane is not as good as your US 91. This was told to me last year by one of your representatives. Thus, I have refrained from using the Stage 2+ Aggressive map or any of the aggressive maps for that matter.
    Last year, the Stage 2+ Sport (FMIC) Map (I think that’s what I had it on) was running smoothly for the first 2 months; going well over 200km/h very quickly with no rev/engine issues. Then, suddenly I was getting, what seemed to be, backfires and sputters followed by the common check engine light ‘engine malfunction, reduced power’ message followed by limp mode. Since that problem I have had the sparkplugs, ignition coils, all 6 fuel injectors and alternator (charging symbol popped up) replaced in hopes that the problem would be resolved.
    However, the engine or fuel injection still sputters, preventing the car from hard accelerations. Despite these symptoms, the check engine light has not popped up on the dash and no codes have been generated on the Accessport.
    Please help,
    Adam

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I have no experience with turbo equipped vehicles,
    but those symptoms on a NA engine would have me suspect a clogged cat/exhaust system obstruction.
    An exhaust backpressure test can help confirm this.