Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: license plate light stays on

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    Quote Originally Posted by G46 View Post
    Update: i removed the diagnostic cap, it wont turn the license plate light + brake light did not turn off unless i pull out the LKM

i forgot to mention, my car wont start if i remove the diagnostic cap, it only cranks and flooded, after putting back the cap, its really having hard time to fire up, due to flooded, i pull off the fuel pump fuse so it wont get more flooded, give it a good crank to remove the excessive fuel, put the fuse back in, it fires right up..

My Cars
    735iL - 1989
    Just a suggestion, and you may not be up for this.

There are some very nice DC Clamp-On Ammeters available from China. (Only a minority of clamp-on-ammeters can measure DC current.)

I would draw about 10 A of current, and then use the Clamp Ammeter to trace the path that this current is taking through the harness. This gives you X-Ray vision for the current path, so you can find the short circuit.

This works if you are Sherlock Ohms.

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    Quote Originally Posted by E32FAN View Post
    Just a suggestion, and you may not be up for this.

There are some very nice DC Clamp-On Ammeters available from China. (Only a minority of clamp-on-ammeters can measure DC current.)

I would draw about 10 A of current, and then use the Clamp Ammeter to trace the path that this current is taking through the harness. This gives you X-Ray vision for the current path, so you can find the short circuit.

This works if you are Sherlock Ohms.
    i understand what you are trying to say, but clamp on meter works on single cable, on our car harness, those single cable wouldnt go straight, there will be twist of here and there,

say example one cable is drawing 5 amps, and the cable next to it is drawing 15 amps, if i clamp on two of these, it will give out 15 amps.

My Cars
    735iL - 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by G46 View Post
    i understand what you are trying to say, but clamp on meter works on single cable, on our car harness, those single cable wouldnt go straight, there will be twist of here and there,

say example one cable is drawing 5 amps, and the cable next to it is drawing 15 amps, if i clamp on two of these, it will give out 15 amps.
    With the car completely off, the only current flowing will be your (unwanted) lamp current. So any current you detect will be the fault current, and you can track its path from the battery.

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    Quote Originally Posted by E32FAN View Post
    With the car completely off, the only current flowing will be your (unwanted) lamp current. So any current you detect will be the fault current, and you can track its path from the battery.
    ok2, i get what you mean...i will see if i have it on my workplace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12