Thread: Brass TC actuator gear?

My Cars
    2002 325i

Brass TC actuator gear?

Just out of curiosity here, and I guess also so I know in case I need to replace my gear down the road... anyone have any experience with the brass actuator gears like the one made by Uro? It looks like several BMW vendor sites sell them online (e.g. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uro-parts/transfer-case-motor-gear-brass/27102413711~uro/), but I can't find any reviews or other information about them.

I have read a few posts warning people to stay away from the aluminum gears, but can't seem to find anything about brass.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Hi cjb762, brass Transfer Case Motor Gear 27 10 2 413 711 is a brand-new item for us, which is why there aren't any reviews yet.
    https://www.uroparts.com/uro/inventory/show/10742

Edit: jer0177 is going to do this review. We'd be happy to provide a gear to the first person who needs to repair their X3, X5 or X6 transfer case (due to a stripped plastic gear) and wants to post their unbiased review of our brass gear on the forum (including photos and details). If this is a repair you're going to make in the next few weeks, post here that you're going to do the review and send us a PM with your name and shipping address. We look forward to your feedback!
    Last edited by URO Parts; 10-29-2018 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    That is a great offer, and thank you for responding! I almost wish that my actuator gear was dead.

In the mean time, do you have any information you can share from the development and testing of the gear?

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
    In the mean time, do you have any information you can share from the development and testing of the gear?
    Can't really share any engineering specifics (which would be boring anyway), but the gear is made to the same dimensions as the original plastic gear and functions the same. We also sell replacement brass gears for Porsche convertible top motors, which allows owners to repair their motor assemblies instead of replacing the entire assembly as a cost of almost $2,000.

It's now common for automakers to use plastic instead of metal for a lot of parts, in order to reduce weight to meet fuel efficiency regulations. Many of these plastic items only last to the end of the warranty period before wearing out or cracking, if you're lucky. Fortunately it's perfectly legal for the aftermarket to provide these parts made of metal, as they should have been in the first place.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    I need to replace the gear in my e90 and would be happy to post a review...

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    ^ Received your message LetaG, unfortunately Transfer Case Motor Gear 27 10 2 413 711 only fits BMW X3, X5 and X6 (and some Land Rover and Mercedes), and we don't have one yet for your 328xi. We'll let everyone know if/when we have them available for the E90. Bummer!
    Last edited by URO Parts; 10-03-2018 at 07:06 PM.

My Cars
    Legend, A6
    Oh, I wish I had contacted URO first, I paid full price. Haha. I purchased one of these for my E70 X5, but have not installed it yet, mostly because it's more difficult to get to than the E53.

My Cars
    96 328i, 05 X3 3.0i
    I just picked up a 2005 X3 3.0, and it has the indications of a stripped gear (brake/abs/4x4 lights on). The problems aren't exactly like what's been described elsewhere (the lights aren't on when I start the vehicle, and come on/go off as I drive, and when they're on, it feels like the TC is locked). I'm going to be pulling the servomotor anyways and replacing the gear - and would love to review it for you guys. I'll send PM.
    Knowledge isn't necessarily knowing the answer, but knowing where to find the answer.
    <font face = "BMWE36">Oh duh, html is disabled</font>

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    ^ Sounds great jer0177, your gear for the review should ship tomorrow! Once in awhile the problem with the assembly is both a stripped gear and dead electronics, but the gear is the first thing to try. (Nice old-school ICQ icon, BTW.)
    Last edited by URO Parts; 10-29-2018 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    96 328i, 05 X3 3.0i
    Great! Looking forward to getting it swapped out!

Yeah - haven't used ICQ in ages, but the icon's still there.
    Knowledge isn't necessarily knowing the answer, but knowing where to find the answer.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Any update? The suspense is killing me!

My Cars
    96 328i, 05 X3 3.0i
    20181106_181847.jpg
    Yeah - sorry. Took me until last week to actually get it back on the road. Long story involving trying to find someone to rebuild the ABS tone rings on the rear CV shafts for a 3.0i 6MT.

The brass gear was a great fit, and even though the plastic one it replaced looked almost new, the brass one solved the problem of the "trifecta", and it's definitely not going to wear out!! If you're having problems, I definitely recommend it!

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jer0177 View Post
    Yeah - sorry. Took me until last week to actually get it back on the road. Long story involving trying to find someone to rebuild the ABS tone rings on the rear CV shafts for a 3.0i 6MT.

The brass gear was a great fit, and even though the plastic one it replaced looked almost new, the brass one solved the problem of the "trifecta", and it's definitely not going to wear out!! If you're having problems, I definitely recommend it!

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, and please let us know how it is working down the road...

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe

20181106_181847.jpg
    Glad the repair was a success Jeremy! Our brass gear is definitely a stout piece.

My Cars
    2002 x5, 2m, x5m,slk230

hello

20181106_181847.jpg

How did that brass gear hold up ?

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    If anyone needs it here is my complete transfer case gear rebuild video step by step. Save yourself thousand bucks. I used the carbon fiber reinforced gear, very cost effective.

link: https://youtu.be/UR7Vv5SQvDc

My Cars
    96 328i, 05 X3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by offdepp View Post
    How did that brass gear hold up ?
    Still going strong. No issues at all. At least not with the TC gear.

Anyone ever replace the cats on that damn thing? What a pain in the ass....

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
    I used the carbon fiber reinforced gear, very cost effective.
    Wow, you're not kidding about those gears being inexpensive, there are a ton of carbon fiber reinforced gears on eBay for $6 with free shipping. They don't really compete with our brass gear though, they're really just a replacement for the original fiberglass-reinforced plastic gear.

Carbon fiber reinforced plastic is lightweight and great for radio controlled car and plane parts (since it's easy to replace the parts when they break or wear out), but we wouldn't recommend the material for transfer case gears like these, which see a lot of heat cycling and repetitive loading over a small area. There are valid reasons why mechanical engineers choose wear-resistant brass for so many actuator gears and automotive transmission components.