Thread: Coolant in/around oil filter housing

My Cars
    08 535i

Coolant in/around oil filter housing

I have an 08 535i. Last year I had the oil filter gaskets (upper and lower), connected hose pipe and serpentine belt changed.
    Today I noticed the coolant level on the lower side (no warning light just manually inspected the reservoir). Then I noticed that there was a greenish coolant around the oil filter housing (upper and lower).
    Attaching pictures of the oil filter housing. I don't see any oil inside the coolant housing. It's a deep green color liquid. I tried to check the engine by opening the top fill cap. It's looks light brown but can't see any liquid oil from there. I don't drive much a few short miles a day at best.
    Anyone know if this normal, just a coolant pipe leak around the filter (is there one that can causing it to show up on top and bottom of the filter with some spattering around the belt/rollers) or if this a blown engine gasket or some other way for the coolant to get into the oil filter housing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hunnypuppy; 09-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I'm wondering if the coolant is being sprayed the that direction I would look the rubber/plastic pipe hose that goes from the expansion tank across the top of very hot radiator, that's where the plastic pipe rests, to the upper radiator. Those things let go all the time. If not them maybe have the shop take a look at it that did the work

My Cars
    08 535i
    Thanks checked and it’s clean. The green splashes are around the belt below the oil cooler and I saw a “blob” of green stuff hanging below the cooler so I think it may have dropped on the belt and splattered.
    Wondering if the gasket change was a bad job/defective gasket.

My Cars
    08 535i
    So I had it checked out by the Indy who replaced the gasket.
    He says it’s okay. The coolant looks fine, no sights of oil in it. The color is okay just looks old as it changes color slightly over time and level is also okay but he topped it off anyways. The stuff was greenish white where it splattered but his option is that it’s okay. He doesn’t know where it came from so he’s cleaned it all up and said let’s see in a few months and if it returns he’ll take care of it. It could have been something left over or likely it’s “sweating” from the oil cooler which is normal and the coolant may leaked as part of normal sweating and I don’t drive much it took time to show up.

I’m going to drive a few long drives and see if it returns. I’m relieved that the oil and coolant aren’t mixed up. Guessing it may be a bad seal but going to keep and eye on it and let you know how it goes.

Anyone else seen “sweating” around an oil cooler with coolant?

My Cars
    08 535i
    Well for what it’s worth my water pump failed a few days ago at just over 90k. So new water pump, thermostat and coolant. I haven’t seen any more sweating or leaks/splatters. Indy is saying all else is looking good. The one big difference I do notice is that my radiator fan seems to be on a lot less with the AC on after this new pump and coolant.