Thread: Rear Left Window Regulator replacement - found great DIY

My Cars
    2008 Nissan Titan CC

Rear Left Window Regulator replacement - found great DIY

So now the latest repair to my E60 is having to replace the rear left (driver's side) window regulator, as I was rolling the window up, I hear the glass made a loud thud as it hit the bottom.

Tried rolling it up and heard some grinding and spining. Took off the door panel and sure enough, there's a loose cable dangling there.

Anywho, this is probably the best DIY in removing/replacing the regulator or motor.

http://brokenappliance.blogspot.com/...or-repair.html

My motor is fine, but will have to take everything out (glass, etc) when the part comes in. Was only about $30, new (regulator only) on amazon (prime).

I was also dissapointed in not having an airbag or speaking on my door panel. Guess that's what I get for only having a 528i.

Knowing my luck, the rear right will go out next.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Just as a FYI, the rear door airbags are a option on all e60's, so don't feel bad.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    im wondering how to tell if the regulator or the motor is the issue with my rear drivers side window, is there any method to figuring it out, also is it possible that just the clips holding the line to the window broke from being old allowing the window to slide down? basically what happened was one day I attempted to roll the window up an all of a sudden it fell into the door and the anti trap warning popped up, I open the door an found that from what I can tell the motor works still but the brackets holding the line in place were broken, I tried to rig it but wasn't able to get it to work right, currently I have the window almost all the way up an if I press up on the switch the window will go down some and if I press down it will do up some, it would probably be able to go a lil farther up but because of how I had to rif the line to get the window to stay up at the time is most likely whats preventing it, but I can't figure out why the directions of the switches are reveresd

My Cars
    2000 528iT; 2008 550i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonjmbf View Post
    im wondering how to tell if the regulator or the motor is the issue with my rear drivers side window, is there any method to figuring it out, also is it possible that just the clips holding the line to the window broke from being old allowing the window to slide down? basically what happened was one day I attempted to roll the window up an all of a sudden it fell into the door and the anti trap warning popped up, I open the door an found that from what I can tell the motor works still but the brackets holding the line in place were broken, I tried to rig it but wasn't able to get it to work right, currently I have the window almost all the way up an if I press up on the switch the window will go down some and if I press down it will do up some, it would probably be able to go a lil farther up but because of how I had to rif the line to get the window to stay up at the time is most likely whats preventing it, but I can't figure out why the directions of the switches are reveresd
    It sounds to me as if you press the switch and the window or regulator is moving at all, then the motor is fine, and you just need to replace the regulator/bracket assembly as the OP describes above.
    2007 530i sport (Montreal Blue w/ gray interior)
    2008 550i sport (Alpine White w/ black interior)

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    what exactly does the regulator do? from what I could see when I had the door pulled apart it looked like the brackets that hold the line in place as well as holding it to the window snapped which is what allowed the window to fall, if I put tension on the wire an use switch it will roll itself up as well as unroll itself, only issue with that is that when I press up it goes down an vice versa.

My Cars
    2000 528iT; 2008 550i/6
    The fact that the motor is driving the window up/down confirms the motor is fine. If I understand you correctly, a cable has either broken or come out of the channel/pulley in the regulator assembly so that it is no longer driving the assembly correctly. If the cable isn't broken, and you can reinsert it into the correct channels/pulleys, then the up/down issue should resolve. You may have to look at the correctly functioning window on the other side to see how the cable is supposed to go.
    2007 530i sport (Montreal Blue w/ gray interior)
    2008 550i sport (Alpine White w/ black interior)

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    ok, your right the cable is fine, the only thing that is messed up from what I can see if the pullys that hold the line in place as well as to the window