Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It would happen one day...Transmission issues

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    The valve is made by Transgo. It's a "fix" for the high pressure situations that are created by the original ZF valve and bore wearing. The high pressure can break the a-drum.

I called Transgo, and spoke to Glen who answered the phone. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. After describing my symptoms, he suggested I look into the known cracked valve body issue. A Google search and couple of Youtube videos described the situation and how the crack can let fluid leak through when things are heated up and the fluid is thinner. The loss of pressure happens at low RPM and mimics the symptoms I have. Great.

Of course, these are all symptoms and not a true diagnosis. I'm going to try to drop the pan (had a snafu with getting the right parts, but FCP Euro hooked me up with their usual great customer service), and I should be able to dig into it this weekend.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    I'm going to try to drop the pan (had a snafu with getting the right parts, but FCP Euro hooked me up with their usual great customer service), and I should be able to dig into it this weekend.
    Thank you sir
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    Thank you sir
    You deserve a shout out. Got the parts today. Thank you so much!
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    You deserve a shout out. Got the parts today. Thank you so much!
    So shanecarmaster1 is from FCP and he even drives an E38??

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    So shanecarmaster1 is from FCP and he even drives an E38??
    Shanecarmaster1 is indeed from FCP Euro and drives some toys
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    Shanecarmaster1 is indeed from FCP Euro and drives some toys
    That's great, I probably paid your salary in the last 8 months

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    It's great they have someone like him at FCP. He's been on this forum for so long, he knows our market demographic and needs well. And we buy a lot of parts (as he knows)

I mean just me alone buys parts for 5 different BMWs between mine and my family. Throw in a Porsche and VW and that makes 7 cars. They make a lot of money off me LOL. If only they sold classic Mustang parts for my 85 I would be set!!
    Last edited by racer2086; 09-15-2018 at 05:32 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    It's great they have someone like him at FCP. He's been on this forum for so long, he knows our market demographic and needs well. And we buy a lot of parts (as he knows)

I mean just me alone buys parts for 5 different BMWs between mine and my family. Throw in a Porsche and VW and that makes 7 cars. They make a lot of money off me LOL. If only they sold classic Mustang parts for my 85 I would be set!!
    Same here, spent probably $10K+ on parts from them in the last few months. I think we should just wire our salaries straight to FCP, no reason to pretend that we will keep any of it

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Need advice. This is what the pan looks like. No big chunks. Is this normal wear or am I done?

When I dropped the pan back at 175k there was stuff on the magnets also. And it's driven fine until now. So that's why I'm asking.

Here is today:

and today:

and here it was back at 175k:

Looks kinda the same.

I looked as best I could with my mirror and I don't see a crack in the valve body. So should I replace the pressure valve, change the filter and flush the fluid through the cooler? Or am I throwing good money after bad?
    Last edited by racer2086; 09-16-2018 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    I'm no transmission expert, but that seems okay. As long as you feel through the stuff stuck on the magnets and you don't find huge chunks of metal you should be okay. Tiny particles can be expected over the life of the transmission, that is why they have the magnets in there in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah! Carry on and hope this fixes your issue!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I just put the lower front valve body back on after dropping it and replacing the main pressure regulating valve with the Transgo replacement. Sprayed it all out with brake cleaner. There was a good amount of that "mud-like" stuff that came out. The usual stuff you find in the transmission.

I'm going to torque it down and get the filter on then measure what came out (way more than the standard drain-refill). Then I'll refill. Keep you all posted.

BTW it hurts laying on the ground for so long. And my arms and shoulders are killing me. Would be so much better with a lift...

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    Fingers crossed it works! Keep us posted.
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Good luck, racer!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    So got everything back together. Flushed what I could from the TC using the cooler lines (but I was too dumb to order those o-rings so now need more parts).

The car is driving and shifting fine. But there was one point in the garage that it lost reverse and then also lost forward. I put it into manual mode, as suggested by Erikkson, and it made some weird noises and started working again. Then it was fine after that. Not sure if there was air in some passages or what, because I took the lower front valve body out and sprayed everything clean.

I'm too nervous to drive it to work tomorrow, but I'll take it for a drive tomorrow when I get home and hopefully take it to work Tuesday. I'm not holding out hopes this will keep me from a rebuild. I think the mileage has just taken its toll. Got quoted $3k from a local guy. That didn't include a reman valve body, which he said you don't need? Not from what I've read. I just want to find someone who knows what they're doing, and I'll have them rebuild it when needed.

But will let you all know. Thanks for the support.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Question: there is a ZF transmission local to me that the guy says was rebuilt by ZF 38k miles ago. It says it's for a 1999-2003. Aren't they all the same or did the electronics change for the facelift cars?

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    Good Luck! Hopefully your transmission won't give you any problems from here on out. As far as electronics are concerned, I believe they did change them on newer cars, but as long as you swap the EGS, you should be okay.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Reading a little more, it looks like the wiring changed somewhat also. There's a local shop that specializes in ZF that said they would look at it for me. Said it may be a valve body issue and they may be able to save me a rebuild if I tow it to them so as not to cause any damage. I think I may do that. Because it was making some weird noises and did lose gear again the garage. I just need the car to be reliable because I drive it a ton.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    I've never dealt with A/T before, so shot in the dark here: Could it be low on fluid since you've take things out to clean? Hence you need to cycle it through gears to get fluid in all the crooks and cranies, and then top it off?
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I ran through the gears and stuff. Was just going to have it towed to a shop nearby that knows ZF transmissions. They offered to check it out. Said it may be a valve body issue and that they can save me a rebuild. I've just been so busy.
    Last edited by racer2086; 09-18-2018 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I ran through the gears and stuff. Was just going to have it towed to a shop nearby that knows ZF transmissions. They offered to check it out. Said it may be a valve body issue and that they can save me a rebuild. I've just been so busy.
    Quickest fix is to get a known good used one from a lower mileage car and replace fluid and filter. They are out there...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Gonna drive it around at lunch today and see how things feel. Don't think I gave it enough time after the fluid change to get everything flowing through again. Can take it to the shop Friday if needed.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Gonna drive it around at lunch today and see how things feel. Don't think I gave it enough time after the fluid change to get everything flowing through again. Can take it to the shop Friday if needed.
    Found this on Ebay, $2,500 not a bad price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-740...4AAOSwAc1ZrCIV
    Doesn't appear to include a new TC.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Found this on Ebay, $2,500 not a bad price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-740...4AAOSwAc1ZrCIV
    Doesn't appear to include a new TC.
    Make sure its for your year if purchasing a reman or used one. The 99-01s were a little different in regards to the valve body and electronics...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Thanks for the link George.

Went home and drove it around for 30 minutes at lunch. It's about 95*F outside. Drove great. Sounds quieter and no weird noises.

Drove it back to work after lunch. Will give it a few more days and see how it does. Who knows

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Thanks for the link George.

Went home and drove it around for 30 minutes at lunch. It's about 95*F outside. Drove great. Sounds quieter and no weird noises.

Drove it back to work after lunch. Will give it a few more days and see how it does. Who knows
    Hope it works out! It seems approx $3K for a rebuilt one with TC + installation. Doubt I could that on jack stands

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast