Thread: E46 Strong Clutch Upgrade

My Cars
    2002 325i Steel Blue

Question E46 Strong Clutch Upgrade

Hello all!

New to the forum, long time reader. I cant seem to find an answer to my specific question, so here we are.

I have a 2002 325i 122k miles, with a slipping clutch. I would like to upgrade the clutch to be stronger than factory. I'm looking to try to stay under $600 if I can. If not, such is life.

TLDR Main questions:
    1. What brands are good/reliable
    2. Stronger stage 1, or stage 2?
    3. Will an upgraded clutch extend the life of hard driving.
    4. Linkage upgrade, or stock.
    5. Yes i'm replacing the slave.
    6. I normally only use OEM. Making an exception here.

My unique scenario is I deliver pizza for a living. Yes, that's right, I get paid to drive this beautiful machine all day... and its the perfect delivery vehicle! I could go on all day about my life as a delivery driver, that tight cornering, impeccable U-turns..., responsive traffic merging and collision avoidance..., that sweet singing sound as she screams up to the red line, but I'm here for business today.

I drive very spirited. Got places to be. While staying within the confines of traffic laws... I tend to put her to the red line when accelerating up to speed limit, and coming out of corners frequently. Dont hit 6.5k often, but frequently hit 6 while shifting out of 1st. Second rarely sees 6k as its mostly town driving, but it does a ton of work. I do a lot of down shifting (with rev matching) into corners and pull out hard where the road and site lines allow. I'd be lying if I said the tires don't chirp on some of the more isolated corners of the town. That being said I really dont speed, that would cost me my lovely job, but I put her through the ropes where I can. Faster I'm up to speed, faster I'm off to another delivery.

I do about 150-230 miles in a day. The car happily pulls up to 6k approximately 20-25 times a day, if we're really busy.

I've been looking at some Stage 2 street clutches on ECS, Pelican Parts, and BimmerWorld. I dont think I need anything at race level, probably anything rated for under 400ft/lbs but over 200ft/lbs would do, but was thinking more than the stock. I would like to get a single mass fly wheel too. I have zero mods on the car and really dont plan on doing anything to it.

I recently replaced the Guibo, Transmission Mounts, and Center Support Bearing. I'll be doing the slave cylinder while I'm at it, and am contemplating a short throw shifter, but linkage definitely needs to be replaced, stock minimum. Was wondering thoughts on that as well. I've used all OEM parts so far on this vehicle. Replaced some other suspension components, but those dont really apply here.

I'll soon also be doing the oil pan gasket and a full rework of the cooling system. Previous owner said they did it, but I dont know what the did or what parts they put in it, so in goes the OEM. If anyone has any other tips for things that I might as well do while I'm in there, I'm all ears.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    This is why your pizza looks like it's been upside down and sideways when you get it half the time. Pizza delivery drivers should be required to drive a prius lol. A good stock replacement clutch kit (luk, sachs, ect) is all you need unless you significantly increase hp/tq. Racing clutches won't be as smooth in the stop and go driving you do lots of. Build yourself a pizza restraint system instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Hi

You have 240 mm fly wheel with a 228 mm pressure plate and clutch plate as standard in your 325i. The easiest upgrade for you would be to fit a 240 mm clutch and pressure plate. They are used in E36 and E46 328's and E46 330's.

Use the RealOEM web site to search through the options and part numbers.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Here is an option:https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-flywheel-clutch-kit-b1aoe
    Do some research before going this route, as I have heard chatter my be audible with this type of upgrade.
    Same kit direct from the source:http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/light...dels-p285.aspx
    Choose the option with the M5 clutch kit.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 09-03-2018 at 03:35 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Why do you think you need a “stronger” clutch. The factory clutch, made by Sachs, is perfectly suit for the car.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Stick with the factory clutch it will be fine

My Cars
    2002 325i Steel Blue
    Been looking at the Valeo conversion. I don't care about a little chatter. It seems to have decent reviews and good feel.

I would like to step up to that lightweight flywheel, if not just for better response and feel, but I don't think its in the budget.

I want to make sure with my heavy, track-esk driving that I'm not going to just burn through a stock clutch.

And I've never delivered a flipped pie. Know the feel of the car, take the corners smooth, not abruptly... keep one hand on the pie for hard stops... Been zen with the pizza, be one with the car... ��

Really though I mainly worry about driving the thing hard for 8-10 hours day, and damaging anything with over heating materials.

My Cars
    2002 325i Steel Blue
    Also as a side note, been considering joining the local Autocross. Couple buddies here are encouraging me to join them. One has a 04 Golf Gti, and the other... 94 Nissan Skyline GTR...
    One day, I'll deliver in a Skyline...