Thread: Window not going back up... Regulator most likely?

My Cars
    1997 328i E36

Window not going back up... Regulator most likely?

Driving along, I lower front right window, I hear a little click, thought nothing of it...

Then I raise it back up to make sure its not stuck, it struggled a little, then more clicking, then I lowered the window all the way down, heard more clicking, and now its stuck in the permanent low/in the door position. Had to tape up the door so rain wont get in, PITA.

My local mech said its most likely the regulator. He said about $170 for the part, about $100 for labor.

Its ok?

I thought I saw in my bill from those aholes down south that they replaced the actuators? I cant remember for sure but anyways, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. My car had 10 thins wrong with it after I got the car back from them. CANT be a coincidence. Thank god I am free of them.
    Front: 225/45ZR
    Rear: 255/40ZR-17

Answerway.com

My Cars
    nil
    I'm in this exact situation. Do yourself a favor, and get a new regulator and motor. I installed a regulator last week, only to find the motor is toast as well. I'm installing a new motor into the driver's door this weekend. Good luck with it.
    Regards

My Cars
    1997 328i E36
    Quote Originally Posted by por911 View Post
    I'm in this exact situation. Do yourself a favor, and get a new regulator and motor. I installed a regulator last week, only to find the motor is toast as well. I'm installing a new motor into the driver's door this weekend. Good luck with it.
    Regards
    Even if I can hear the motor trying to move the window up and down? how much is the motor for this, if its cheap, sure, I'll just get that too.

Answerway.com

My Cars
    nil
    Oh yea, our motor "works" if you could call it that. It's just beat after 16 years(will barely lift the window, even with the new regulator). Going to try a Bosch unit(about $100), so we'll see. I need to tackle the front passenger side on our car, but didn't dive into that one thankfully(which I'll have both parts for already to go).
    regards

My Cars
    1997 328i E36
    Oh yea, our motor "works" if you could call it that. It's just beat after 16 years(will barely lift the window, even with the new regulator). Going to try a Bosch unit(about $100), so we'll see. I need to tackle the front passenger side on our car, but didn't dive into that one thankfully(which I'll have both parts for already to go).
    regards
    Oh I see... well since my motor seemed to be moving the window fine until I heard these clicks, I guess I'l roll the dice and just do the regulator... fingers crossed!

Answerway.com

My Cars
    nil
    The problem is a combo:
    1. window regulator aging, causes the window to cant and puts more stress on motor
    2. motor, aging out, grease inside solidifies along with the regulator cooks the motor
    Yes, motor moves, just with little results. When you say "moves fine", as fast as the others? Our rear windows worked much faster then the fronts. If yours is moving slower then the others, its probably toast. Good luck with it.
    regards

My Cars
    1997 328i E36
    The problem is a combo:
    1. window regulator aging, causes the window to cant and puts more stress on motor
    2. motor, aging out, grease inside solidifies along with the regulator cooks the motor
    Yes, motor moves, just with little results. When you say "moves fine", as fast as the others? Our rear windows worked much faster then the fronts. If yours is moving slower then the others, its probably toast. Good luck with it.
    regards
    Before it got stuck, I saw no difference in speed of the movement of the window.... so the only thing now is I hope I didnt mess with it too much while it was stuck to burn it out much, only really tried to toggle it loose maybe a total of 20 seconds on and off, so we'll see.

Answerway.com

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    I had the same issue over different time period on three electric windows. Two front and one rear. If you want the cheap option don't bother buy a regulator. The plastics clips on the regulator normally brakes causing the regulator to get stuck.

You cant buy these clips separately from a dealer as they will try to sell you the whole regulator. You can however buy the clips from eBay. I done diy job on all three windows. Everything works perfectly. There are many guides online if you google it.

My Cars
    1997 328i E36
    I dunno if I can go that cheap esp when I have to pay for the labor anyways.

I was thinking about these, is this a scam or......

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uro-prem...337020660~upr/

Answerway.com

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Dathaeus View Post
    I dunno if I can go that cheap esp when I have to pay for the labor anyways.

I was thinking about these, is this a scam or......

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-uro-prem...337020660~upr/
    They are not scam. They look like after market regulator. I used a similar one on my rear window. The fitting holes are not 100% perfect and may need some minor adjustments.

You can buy cheaper elsewhere if you look around.

My Cars
    nil
    DSC_0020.jpg
    Installed new motors and regulators on both sides (fronts). Like new again. The tough part was the window alignment. Now I don't need to worry about them failing for my better half this winter. By the way, found broken bits of the old regulator in the bottom of both doors. They were ready to snap at the first cold day here were the grease stiffens up. Best of luck with it.
    regards

My Cars
    1997 328i E36
    DSC_0020.jpg
    Installed new motors and regulators on both sides (fronts). Like new again. The tough part was the window alignment. Now I don't need to worry about them failing for my better half this winter. By the way, found broken bits of the old regulator in the bottom of both doors. They were ready to snap at the first cold day here were the grease stiffens up. Best of luck with it.
    regards
    How much did your parts cost and where u buy them?

Answerway.com

My Cars
    nil
    I bought the motors at Autohausaz and regulators at Pelican Parts. If I had to do it over again, I'd opt out for factory BMW regulators(fitment is better). Prices are at both sites.