Thread: 840ci Gas Tank Siphon - Fuel Pump

My Cars
    1995 840ci

840ci Gas Tank Siphon - Fuel Pump

Hello.........… Here's the back story.... A friend gave me the car and its been sitting for a bit. It was a daily driver prior to being parked. I put two brand new batteries in it, 5 gallons of fresh fuel and sprayed some starting fluid down the intake. Car fired right up and ran until the starting fluid burned off. I did this a few more times with the same result. All fuses are good and I am getting power at the pump. I went to pull the pump to see if I can get away with a new pump or if I needed a new assembly. I got the lock ring backed off a little bit and then it started leaking fuel around the seal. Enough to make me go grab a roll of paper towels to sop it up before it ended up on the ground. Tightened it back up, plugged the plugs back in and checked the fuel level which showed a full tank. Attempted to siphon the tank today with no luck. Feels like the tube is getting stuck right before it can get into the tank. That being said here are my questions...

Any tricks to siphoning the tank down? Can't use the pump as its no good. Harbor Freight transfer pump is blocked/useless.

Do I even need to siphon it down? Like I said above it started leaking when I backed off the ring yet I don't know if that is normal. Will it stop after a bit? Last thing I need is a major gas spill in my landlords driveway.

Trying to get this done in my driveway without a major fiasco. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Your fuel fill tube will have a very short piece of metal pipe inside it. The pipe is loose inside the fuel fill rubber hose. Any hose you try to insert into the tank will slide down the inside surface of the fuel fill tube and eventually run into this loose piece of pipe. Pretty cheap anti siphon device. I would try to remove the rubber hose on the top of the fuel pump and immediately push a hose that is connected to a good pump onto old pump and pull fuel through old pump. This may be slow but you should be able to pull a few gallons out then try unscrewing the pump ring. Sure others will also suggest easy ways to remove pump without spilling too much.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI
    Check out something called a GassTapper. Very handy device.