Thread: Bottom mount 3.5" intake pipe fit with ac?

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5

Bottom mount 3.5" intake pipe fit with ac?

I need a turbo intake pipe as my last piece before I can install my kit. I found one for sale but it is 3.5" was planning on a 3". Anyone know if this will fit with a bottom mount setup while retaining ac?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Depending on your style front sway bar and pipe routing, you can cut some of the ac tensioner bracket to make room.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Thanks appreciate the info! I think I will just make a 3" and save some of the headache. I dont have a custom motor mount either. I was under the impression if you go below subframe on the hotside and only have a 3" intake you can get away with the stock motor mount? Similar to what TT does with their kits.
    Last edited by E36 328is; 08-30-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don’t think the motor mount gets in the way of the hot side pipe. I have run 3 different manifolds. I did have issues with the turbo inlet pipe conflicting with the motor mount but if you fabricate the pipe carefully you can fit more than 3 inch. People have fit 4 inch. Also depends on where you put the filter. Mine is behind the bumper cover. If you go up top, the manifold can limit it but some manifolds are more compact than others. Another question is whether you need more than 3 inch — depends on the power goal.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo, E39 M5
    Ok thanks! I have a AA bottom mount and a gt3076r only shooting for 400whp so 3" would be plenty. I would like to do my intake behind the bumper like you have. Would I need a custom engine mount for this setup?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don’t think so, particularly with the little turbo that probably has a TO4E compressor housing. But I have not fitted that combination. Different Manifolds may locate the same turbo slightly differently. Also different turbos will fit the same manifold slightly differently. You have to find someone who has what you gave or do some experimenting. Some people put a thinner poly mount just on the turbo side. I had to do that and then cut off some of the mount.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    A Rallyroad high mount arm and an Ireland Engineering poly engine mount gives lots of clearance. I ran a 3.5” with that combo but it does depend on which manifold you have. I’m now running a 4” with the air filter behind the headlight and still have AC but I had to make a custom mount arm and AC lines to make it work.