Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short shifter for the 850 manual?

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Well, scrolling up and down through the posts the shifter Olin mentions 25 11 7 527 246 which is the stock OEM lever. An OEM short shifter for the e36 M3 looks like the number is one digit different ending in 25 11 7 527 247 and this one also fits the M3s. This can get confusing but might be the one we try over the winter.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I guess I will go with the UUC then

My Cars
    KS
    UUC DSSR may help with certainity in selecting gears, but unlikely to have a travel difference.

Btw

some local solutions:

other:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diskovod; 09-05-2018 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    KS
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    So, I stopped at my independent mechanic today to discuss the shifter, and he said he will not even mess with the UUC shifter. They specify all their own screws and bushings and it is a pain in the but. He noted an OEM M3 shifter for e36 looked good and was available from ECS Tuning for around $109.55. He also said with the shorter distance from the ball there is the chance of the linkage ribbing against the Guibo. So the car needs to be lifted and looked at.
    His feeling is, only change the shift lever and don't mess with the selector rod. He has been down that road with other model BMWs and it isn't a good way to go and he wants no part of it. Here is what I copied from ECS and the shifter we looked at. He is not saying it is correct but it fits the same 420G trans so if it doesn't rub the Guibo it could be a good one.
    Brand: ES#: 47246 Mfg#: 25117527247
    Likely - with longer distance from the ball - i.e. selector rod will be lower

As for everything, I think 247 would not lead to elimintation of the side-to-side shifter play.
    However, both UUC and stock solutions are not good to me. I think the problem is that they use sprung hardware, in which the deflection of the spring is the cause too.
    So a new selector rod with special bolts pops up in my mind. Maybe, because I'm too lazy to buy UUC DSSR, maybe, mine would be better.
    All universal solutions have universal clearances, while if you do it yourself, you can specify tighter clearances that work for you better.
    Last edited by Diskovod; 09-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I ordered a UUC rod but would want to use some other OEM selector rod. Any one tried some other ones?

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    I ordered a UUC rod but would want to use some other OEM selector rod. Any one tried some other ones?
    What are you trying to accomplish by changing the rod? Are you looking for a shorter throw? A different height for the shift knob? I can only tell you my solution, which I’m thrilled with, but it may not be what you are looking for. I have the UUC short shift kit (with DSSR) and I replaced the stock shift knob with a replacement boot, and an E46 ZHP shift knob. This shift knob is weighted, and about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the stock shift knob. I really like the feel of it. It’s very snappy, and the lowered shift height puts the knob in a more comfortable position than stock, in my opinion.

ECS Tuning sells them, as do others, including BMW, of course. The one I bought is illuminated, so the shift pattern on the top of the knob lights up at night. The wiring already exists in our cars to connect the lighted knob; you just have to make sure you get one with the correct connector.

You will need to get a new shift boot as well, since the ZHP shift knob is not the same one piece boot and knob like the stock shift knob on the E31. I bought my shift boot from redline goods; I’ve purchased leather goods from them before and have been very happy with the quality. However you will have to remove the plastic frame from your stock shift knob and glue it to the replacement shift boot, since redline does not supply shift knobs with the frame. I’m not sure what other sources exist for replacement shift boots for our cars; the only other ones I found only supply the one piece boot and knob like the original. But I’m sure there must be some other sources available.

The UUC Short shifter also allows you to raise and lower the height of the shift knob, although I have just left mine where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    The UUC shifter is undeniably well engineered. Makes ZERO sense to not use their selector arm and bushings.

TIP: You WILL need to shorten the length adjuster on the selector rod before you button everything up. You want to keep the shifter centered, and if you don't check this you will be slamming your knuckles on the radio...

But do yourself a favor and use ALL the UUC bits, there is a reason.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    The UUC shifter is undeniably well engineered. Makes ZERO sense to not use their selector arm and bushings.

TIP: You WILL need to shorten the length adjuster on the selector rod before you button everything up. You want to keep the shifter centered, and if you don't check this you will be slamming your knuckles on the radio...

But do yourself a favor and use ALL the UUC bits, there is a reason.
    I have been slamming my hand into the radio with the stock shifter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish by changing the rod? Are you looking for a shorter throw? A different height for the shift knob? I can only tell you my solution, which I’m thrilled with, but it may not be what you are looking for. I have the UUC short shift kit (with DSSR) and I replaced the stock shift knob with a replacement boot, and an E46 ZHP shift knob. This shift knob is weighted, and about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the stock shift knob. I really like the feel of it. It’s very snappy, and the lowered shift height puts the knob in a more comfortable position than stock, in my opinion.

ECS Tuning sells them, as do others, including BMW, of course. The one I bought is illuminated, so the shift pattern on the top of the knob lights up at night. The wiring already exists in our cars to connect the lighted knob; you just have to make sure you get one with the correct connector.

You will need to get a new shift boot as well, since the ZHP shift knob is not the same one piece boot and knob like the stock shift knob on the E31. I bought my shift boot from redline goods; I’ve purchased leather goods from them before and have been very happy with the quality. However you will have to remove the plastic frame from your stock shift knob and glue it to the replacement shift boot, since redline does not supply shift knobs with the frame. I’m not sure what other sources exist for replacement shift boots for our cars; the only other ones I found only supply the one piece boot and knob like the original. But I’m sure there must be some other sources available.

The UUC Short shifter also allows you to raise and lower the height of the shift knob, although I have just left mine where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which is the right connector?

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    I have been slamming my hand into the radio with the stock shifter
    ...and now you know why
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    ...and now you know why
    So I need to center it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12