Thread: Foxwell NT520

My Cars
    2005 X3

Foxwell NT520

My daughter has just dropped off her 05 X3 for a few weeks as she has gone off on a trip. The car came with a punch list that I have started to work my way through (she lives over 1000Km away in a place with no dealers nearby, so trips here usually have a number of things that need looking at, as well as basic mtce).

One issue I can't do much with without a scan tool is an airbag light - both dash and overhead are on, so pointing to the passenger air bag. A forum check show a few common airbag fault areas, with the seat sensor mat being a high suspect (the seatbelt lamp for the front passenger seat does not work as well, so I think that might point to the mat, which was subject to a 2008 recall, as a top candidate). A VIN check shows no outstanding recalls, so I expect the mat was fixed on recall by the original owner.

The dealer where I am wants an hour shop time ($130) just to read the code, which is v pricey if I need a 2nd read after any repair to reset the codes (I'm not interested in the kluge fix to bypass the sensor mat)

That leaves me looking for a way to check codes to try to pinpoint the fault location.

I have a BlueDriver by Lemur as well as generic ELM clones that I run with IOS and Android Apps. They are OK on new cars, but all will only read basic codes on the BMW (the same as they do with other older cars in the family fleet - 98 Jag XJ8, 99 Suburban and 06 Saab 95).

So ... my question. Reading around for scanner options gives me a few possibles. I am a Mac user, so any of the laptop based ones are off the table, leaving me with the Foxwell NT520 as a top choice as I understand it will read many of the 2005 Model year BMW modules, including Airbag. It also pays for itself if I need codes read twice by the dealer and as I understand the Airbag module must be reset by a tool, at least one visit, most likely 2, is required.

A couple of questions:

1. Are users of the Foxwell happy with it and will it truly read the functions listed for the 2005 X3?
    2. Has anyone used a Foxwell with one of the s/w modules for other makes as well, and do they also work well? As an example, I would really like to read misfire data on my 99 suburban as I think it has a misfire that isn't enough to set codes or be able to read more data on the Saab than just generic OBD.

Comments appreciated. If I order this week, I should be able to get a unit and make the repair before the car travels north again

My Cars
    2005 X3
    Update - I ended up buying a Foxwell NT510 and am happy with it.

It has an impressive range of capabilities, far more than my other ELM 327 based apps, reading a large range of modules on the car and displaying many "hidden" codes - ie codes that don't set any dash lamp errors.

2 features that came in especially handy were the airbag test and transfer case test functions.

The airbag test confirmed that the issue with the airbag was a faulty passenger seat mat sensor. The error can't be reset without replacement (or putting in the kluge that masks the fault and makes the module think things are OK). As the issue is limited to the sensor only and the airbag is still functional, this gives some time to decide how / when to make the fix. At lest we know that the car has airbags in the event of a collision - all that will happen is the passenger bag will deploy even if the seat is empty.

More importantly, the transfer case tests showed that the fluid required change (code 54C6 was set). Once I decided to change it, this lead me to also pull the actuator motor on spec to make sure the gear wheel that has caused problems for many was OK (there were no codes that indicated it was bad). I'm glad I did as I found the gear was worn to the point it was only a matter of time until it failed to operate and the car defaulted to the limp home state when running the calibration routine (which it does on every shut down). Pic of the wear is att.

For these things alone, the tool has paid for itself.

2 thumbs up!

DSC00652.jpg

My Cars
    2006 330i
    I just ordered the NT520 for my 2006 330i. I have an issue where my DSC is malfunctioning so I am hoping I can scan the traction control system for issues with it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    2000 BMW 540i....Just bought a Foxwell NT520 scanner with the BMW micro
    SD card. I really need a beginners guide to how to use it. For starters, the home page does not show me a BMW file at all. It does seem to be communicating with the car ok; not showing any codes, but I never saw a way to do any VIN entry. I was hoping to use it to reset an airbag light on the dash (when I bought the car, one of the rear side airbag connectors was disconnected). Thx for any advice. Roy

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    For some reason, I can not get to the Foxwelltech.com website, which is where I need to download the BMW code into my Foxwell NT520. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it yet. Reset the computer and my router, no diff. Went to some website called "downforeveryoneorjustme.com" and it says the site seems to be down. Emailing the sales address I just keep getting told to go to the website I can't get to load. roy

Try the full address, www.foxwelltech.com

I don't know enough to explain why it works, but it does.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    I just received the Foxwell NT520 because i read a lot of good reviews about it and i was hoping to diagnose some issues I have with the headlamp module.

I was a little surprised/disappointed that it didn't even detect a fault on the parking lamps when the idrive system shows a malfunction. (left angel eyes are out). I would have thought that it would detect it.

Also would like to know if you can program small things like , having the mirrors fold in when i lock the car .

Its a little confusing to use, i wonder if there is a specific forum or chat group that is dedicated to the Foxwell scanner.

I also get the "this function not supported" message alot. I have done the updates through their website as well as register which is essential.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    So you do have the bmw specific module?

I don’t think it will do coding, like for your mirrors.

It’s good for a $150 scan tool.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    yes , i did buy it loaded with the BMW/Mini software. Updated it as soon as i got it.

Ive read alot of good reviews, but i'm surprised it didnt detect my malfunction in the parking lights.

too bad it cant do coding, i was hoping to make some simple changes, like the mirrors, etc.

do u know of any tutorials out there for using the scanner. Im sure im missing alot

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Mine did not come loaded. I had to install the free module when I registered it. But you have it if you see the bmw mini rolls icon on the screen. If you are good with computers you can get copies of bmw software and set up an older laptop or partition a newer one. I am not good at that stuff but have friends who are and have coded cars. Had one of them put Euro MDM on my E90M3 and delete seatbelt chimes.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Thanks.
    Yes, I was considering that.
    I may have been better off just getting the OBD2 cable to a laptop and scanning and coding from there.
    Not sure where to get the software though and how hard it might be to use.
    I'll give the scanner a bit more time.
    Cheers.

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
    Thanks.
    Yes, I was considering that.
    I may have been better off just getting the OBD2 cable to a laptop and scanning and coding from there.
    Not sure where to get the software though and how hard it might be to use.
    I'll give the scanner a bit more time.
    Cheers.
    Which car model and year?

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Austingreen View Post
    Which car model and year?

2014 328i x-drive

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i and 328xi
    Can someone tell me how to register my NT520 scanner? I have tried downloading the foxscanner and nothing is working. What steps in what order should I take? Also can I use on Mac computer? I am currently trying to register with a Dell Inspiron 3135.
    Last edited by kino1161; 05-31-2019 at 09:00 PM.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by kino1161 View Post
    Can someone tell me how to register my NT520 scanner? I have tried downloading the foxscanner and nothing is working. What steps in what order should I take? Also can I use on Mac computer? I am currently trying to register with a Dell Inspiron 3135.
    You can contact thier customer service department via email and they will send you the file you need.
    They are pretty good at customer support.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    I have been having a lot of issues using the Foxwell NT520pro on my 2014 328i x-drive F30 series.
    It does not do a lot of what it should do, as listed by the manufacturer. It doesn't code, doesn't bring up schedule maintenance alerts, doesn't detect things that the idrive will detect, does not remember my VIN, etc. Pretty much 80% of the time i get " this function not supported" message.

After lot of updates and back and forth with the manufacturer and the ebay seller , i now found out from him that the NT520 Pro does not do the F30 series.
    So basically their web site is bullshit (ebay Seller is Maxisys). And because i spent more than 90 days on a steep learning curve trying to figure this thing out , I can't get a refund.

I just wanted to put that info out there and find out if other people have had the same problems with the F30
    And what would be a good alternative OBD2 scanner.?

thanks

My Cars
    2011 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
    So basically their web site is bullshit (ebay Seller is Maxisys). And because i spent more than 90 days on a steep learning curve trying to figure this thing out , I can't get a refund.

I just wanted to put that info out there and find out if other people have had the same problems with the F30
    And what would be a good alternative OBD2 scanner.?

thanks
    I went through the same time wasting with the NT 520 pro for an F10. Never could get the unit to access the BMW specific attributes. A total waste of my time

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528it,2003 530M
    Unfortunately, I bought a the NT 520 from Maxisys ( At the time I didn't know I needed a 20 pin pig tail for 1999 E 39). The unit makes impressive noises. At the end of the session I get a failure code window that reads " 25 ACS Failure" Ok now what? I am trying to find out where to reference codes. Using a Mac computer I have tried the to register this jewel. After way too much time I finally get to the forms, fill them out , hit send. Wheels pin for 15 minutes or so then crashes. The problem is on Foxwell's end. Very difficult to communicate with. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this Foxwell NT 520 PRO scanner. I would not recommend this ........

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I had my NT520 for about a month before the screen went scrambled. Thought I did it so orders a new screen for $25. Nope. Sent it back to China for warranty work. My tracking number said it was in Jamaica NY. 6 weeks later said it was still in Jamaica NY. About 3 months later I have a package from China at home waiting. Hopefully it is the repaired unit. In the future I will buy these types of things from a US supplier and pay the exta $75.

So I need to code a new tps antenna for my 2012 e93. Anyone know how?
    Working on the 325 reminds me how much I LOVED my old Jeep Wrangler. A bus ate it.

My Cars
    97 740i, 07 328i, 98 328
    I have an 07 e90 328i, the dsc system will drive you crazy if you let it. I’ll pass on a trick I learned that seemed to really help. I went and got 4 thin small washers, and put the washers under the lip that ghe bolt goes thru. Meaning when you put it back together the wheel sensors will be a tiny bit away from the ring. Still close enough for the sensor to read it but far away enough for it not to be so sensitive. Just food for thought.