Thread: wub wub noise (READ, don't think it's a wheel bearing)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i

wub wub noise (READ, don't think it's a wheel bearing)

A couple of weeks ago I was driving though construction, I went from a very rough road to a paved one but hit the lip pretty hard. It was one of those stomach wrenching impacts. A few minutes later I noticed my car was making a new noise. A wub wub noise that increases/decreases in frequency with the wheels speed. The sound appears to be coming from the mid-rear of the car. I initially thought it was a wheel bearing but I jacked up the whole rear of the car and listened around the back. I couldn't isolate the sound. My rear routers are warped but It seems unlikely that the sound would go from only being noticeable when coming to a stop to making the car vibrate and being overwhelmingly loud (I haven't driven over 50mph since it started). Now here is why I'm fairly certain it isn't a wheel bearing. When driving in a straight line the noise is loudest, when turning to the left it goes completely silent, when driving to the right it goes almost completely silent (may be the other way around). I know from diagnosing faulty wheel bearings in the past that if it was one of the wheel bearings it would have gotten louder in one of the directions.

- when having the rear jacked up power was initially sent to both tires the right rear tire stopped spinning and all the power was being sent to the left tire (I'm now wondering if I did continue to hear the sound when I noticed the tire stopped spinning)
    - - although the differential could still be the issue there since power isn't traveling through all of it.

- When power was going to the rear I placed my hand on the differential and felt at slight knock. I don't know if that knock was originating from the differential though.

- the sound is louder inside of the car than it is outside. (making me think it is something mounted directly to the frame)

I am a full time college student who just started my senior year, I do all of my own maintenance/repair myself. I don't have a ton of time or money so I'm not paying someone to do it for me and I'd prefer to minimize the amount of time I'm working on my car. I think I will go ahead and replace my routers before I make any decisions. What do you think it may be? I'm happy to provide any other details, I know this isn't the best write-up i could've done but I needed to post this sooner rather than later. Thanks in Advance!

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    You hit a big bump and now you have the exact symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. Don't over think this. Also check your wheels and tires for damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    I concur.

Another concur on possible bent wheels. I bent two on a 2006 325ci Sport and had to have them straightened at a place that specialized in this process. It was about $100 per wheel. They have a machine with a dial indicator on it and will get them back true like they should be and that should fix the problem. Make sure that you inspect your tires for any damage as well as sometimes you can get a damaged sidewall from impacts like you described. Now you just need to find someone local that will do the repair.

https://www.gammatradeusa.com/Rim-an...air-s/1513.htm

2005 330ci ZHP 6MT
    2005 330i ZHP AT (Sold)
    1989 325i
    1990 318is
    2014 328d X-drive
    2017 VW Alltrack

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Thank you for your' feedback. It was exactly I needed to hear to back off from my diff diagnosis. I got the parts I needed to replace the wheel bearing and when I went to replace it I noticed the hub nut had come loose (the locking notch wasn't dented well enough). I tightened it and locked the nut back into place and the noise is gone. Saved me from a lot of unnecessary work!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Please share more related information I want it for my project. If you want genuine information on Router's IP then check https://192-168-1-1ip.info/ this site.
    Last edited by lawrencburt; 07-03-2019 at 02:02 PM.