Thread: N54 without Oil Cooler and MHD

My Cars
    335XI Sedan 2008

N54 without Oil Cooler and MHD

Hey everyone!

I am thinking of flashing my N54 335xi sedan 2008 and it doesn't have an oil cooler. I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada and here the weather is not as hot as in other parts of the world (mostly 6 months of snow and something like summer with few days of 28C). I am thinking/want to go with MHD stage 1 non-modified and my question is: do I really need an oil cooler for this stage and when hot weather is not an issue here? Few people told me that you only need an oil cooler when you take the car to the track and I don't. I just like to have that extra kick when I regularly drive my car ( you know from traffic light to traffic light ;P ).

Thank you in advance and apologies if I posted on the wrong section of the forum!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest getting an oil cooler if any performance upgrades are made - you're going to be pushing your car harder with the tune and it'll benefit from having one and keeping your overall temp down...just my 2 cents, other members will likely chime in as well.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    335XI Sedan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest getting an oil cooler if any performance upgrades are made - you're going to be pushing your car harder with the tune and it'll benefit from having one and keeping your overall temp down...just my 2 cents, other members will likely chime in as well.

Thank you very much for your prompt response Pelican. From my understanding, the oil has to be in a specific temperature (example: 90-100 degrees). if I install an oil cooler, in the winter (6 months+ long) wouldn't the oil temperature be lower than the required and this could cause issues too? At least this is how a friend of mine explained it to me and he has a 1100hp Corvette tuning it himself. He asked me "are you going to take it to the track? Race it all the time? if no and you just wanna have that extra power just to use it whenever you feel like it but not be hardcore using it, then you should be fine due to the climate we are in".

But I wanted to get the opinion from bimmer people in case there is something different with the BMW cars and tunning.