Thread: New Brakes-Go with Dealer OEM or can I get something better for same $$ elsewhere?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335 xi

Question New Brakes-Go with Dealer OEM or can I get something better for same $$ elsewhere?

I have a 2011 335xi w/sport package.
    67,000 miles, just paid it off after 4 years (was a CPO).

The steering wheel shakes when I apply medium pressure to the brakes but stops shaking when I brake harder. Last time in to the dealer for other work they said brakes are almost ready to be replaced.

My question is, we know the dealers are crazy overpriced on everything so I'm not sure what they will quote me, but what are my options to replace elsewhere?

If they quote me $1,500 or something crazy to replace front/back, can I take that $$ and get some performance pads/rotors elsewhere? Will I need just pads or rotors too?

Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    The stealership will probably quote you closer to $1800 for front & rear. A nice Akebono kit from FCP Euro will be maybe a third of that.
    If you're shopping the dealer, I'm guessing you don't want to DIY it? In that case, find a trustworthy independent shop.
    Are you gonna eat that?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Discdan1 View Post
    I have a 2011 335xi w/sport package.
    67,000 miles, just paid it off after 4 years (was a CPO).

The steering wheel shakes when I apply medium pressure to the brakes but stops shaking when I brake harder. Last time in to the dealer for other work they said brakes are almost ready to be replaced.

My question is, we know the dealers are crazy overpriced on everything so I'm not sure what they will quote me, but what are my options to replace elsewhere?

If they quote me $1,500 or something crazy to replace front/back, can I take that $$ and get some performance pads/rotors elsewhere? Will I need just pads or rotors too?

Any help is appreciated.

That sounds excessively high - I just priced out the Genuine BMW front and rear rotors and Genuine BMW front and rear pads for your car and the total is ~$730 +tax. This is pricing out one of the highest price point options.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    02 M3
    Ill give ya deal, for $1000 if you drive to Minnesota and ill fix your brakes!

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    I'm preferential to Zimmerman rotors, with D4000 Carbon. I go perforated, but not necessary.
    I use soft pads, lots of dust, but good heat dissipation and grip.

I believe Zimmerman is an OE option.
    I had to really search for the D4000 Carbon option. (standard brakes are D3000 Carbon and are more likely to develop 'hot-spots' under intense braking.

Rotors, pads and installation was all for $1000 CAD (7xx USD).

Honestly though, around here the dealer's standard brakes are just $1000~ CAD. (plus labor, but I generally try to DIY)
    Their (Southern Ontario anyways) outsourced performance brakes are D3500 Carbon if I recall. Reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    That sounds excessively high - I just priced out the Genuine BMW front and rear rotors and Genuine BMW front and rear pads for your car and the total is ~$730 +tax. This is pricing out one of the highest price point options.

That sounds pretty reasonable.
    And comes with good write-ups, support.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335 xi
    Thank you for the info everyone! Check this out:

I take the car in on Thursday (8:30am) for oil service, air filter, and to replace the fuel tank vent valve which apparently has been throwing a code. He asks if he can keep it overnight if needed, I say yes, he has no courtesy vehicles available so I get a ride home.

Next day, it's 2pm still haven't heard from the service dept, email them like hey what's up? Says it should be done by 5:30 pm. Asked what the deal is with the breaks. Oh we wont look at those until the other service is performed, then we'll let you know....

Service dept calls me at 4pm, come down and get a courtesy vehicle for the weekend, I thought we had the fuel vent valve but we don't. Wont have it till Monday.

Picking up the courtesy vehicle, ask about the breaks, says I have 5mil left on back and 7 on front pads. Must be a warped rotor (based on how I explained it) and said if it was his car, he would wait till the pads are ready to be replaced to do the rotors. Estimated around $670 for front rotors I think.

So I think I will order some parts and take them to a local Euro car repair. In Columbus, Ohio Used to live in MN!

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    At 5MM on the thinnest pad, you have some time if the wobble/rotor warp isn't too bad.

If you DIY you can get brake pad and rotor kits with all the parts needed for around $200 per front or rear axle from Bavauto.com.

Not OEM equipment, but I don't need it to say "BMW" on it.

I did the front end on my daughter's Mini for about $200 last weekend, and I'm doing the rear end for less than that this coming weekend. I've used Bavauto brake kits on my 2008 328xi Wagon and my wife's 2009 328ix coupe.
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 09-10-2018 at 02:32 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check these thrust rod bushings if the brakes have been warped for a while they can wear out those bushings