Thread: 2002 e46 remote key does not initialize. Does not lock / unlock doors.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46

2002 e46 remote key does not initialize. Does not lock / unlock doors.

One of my remote key suddenly stopped working during shopping. I had to manually open the door using the key. This triggered the alarm which stopped and when I turned on the ignition. I had a replacement key which worked perfectly. So I replaced the faulty key battery.

I tried the initialise the key with the new battery with following method:

Open the door drivers door to get in. Closed all the doors and windows. Made sure the central locking for all doors are in unlocked position

1. key into the ignition and turn to position 1

2. Turn the key back to position 0 and take the key out of the ignition.

3. holding down the unlock button, pressing the BMW logo (lock button) 3 times, and release the unlock button.

Doors locked and unlocked to confirm initialization. Only problem is the key does not open or close the door. So I read you need a working key to initialize both at the same. So I did the same steps with the working key and repeated step 3 on the second key. Both key confirmed initialization as central locking doors locked and unlocked.

However both keys stopped working now.

I checked central locking related fuses all ok. My fuel door actuator works as some suggested this could cause initialization to fail.

I feel like an idiot messing up the working key.

Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    I have connected the car to INPA to check the error log and i got the following errors:

66 Anti-Theft Alarm System: Interior Protection
    Error Frequency : 1
    Sporadic Error
    Error code: 42 01

144 Battery Voltage: Open Circuit
    Error Frequency : 17
    Static Error
    Error code: 90 31

149 Repeat Blocking: Power Window
    Sporadic Error
    Error code: 95 01

138 Alarm Memory: Radio Inerior Protection
    Error Frequency : 7
    Static Error
    Error code: 8A 27

2 error power-supply for abtenna
    Error Frequency : 4
    Error not present

249 no CAN ID ASC3
    Error Frequency : 255
    Open Circuit
    Error Present
    Sporadic Error

15 power on reset
    Static Error

14 DME-changing code XOR-error
    Sporadic Error

Does anyone have any idea what these errors mean? Where I should start looking to trouble shoot the errors reponsible for causing the remote key initialisation to fail.

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    It might just be the microswitch under the unlock button is bad. Re-do the sequence with the good key a few more times with a good pause in between. You can get a key programmer for $40 (AK 90+) but I don't think that's the issue here.
    The codes lead me to believe your battery may be the suspect for that 144 error...
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    I have tried the sequence slowly many times. Each time door locks and unlocks to confirm initialisation. But remote does not work after that.

What battery are you referring to ? Car or remote key battery ?

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    Sorry I wasn't clear. Re-do the sequence only using the known good key. Make sure that works. I suspect there's something mechanically wrong with the other key. I had this happen to one of mine.

The codes lead me to believe there's also something going on with the car battery. Might be the alternator is on its way out or might just be a geriatric battery. Bring up the hidden OBD codes to watch your voltage as you motor along. Should be pretty constant around 14.4 volts.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    I have tried again using good key. Same result, initialization confirmed by doors locking and unlocking. Remote does not work after that. Tried many times with same result.

Checked the battery. The voltage hovers around 14.2v to 14.4v.

I have done some further testing with INPA and looks like initialisation is done:

When I try to test both remote keys to see if it receives a signal I get no response from Inpa. The circle should go black when i press the remote keys.

If I emulate functions such as central locking lock or unlock using inpa everything works normally. If I choose remote control button 1 pressed I get no response.

For some reason the car does not accept signal from the key after initialization.

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    Huh. Good work so far. Seems like the key signal is not getting received by the antenna. I think the antenna is under the C-pillar on the left side but I can't be sure you will see anything in there. If the init work the antenna must be getting a signal... I'm at the end of my knowledge. Sorry.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    2002 BMW 318i e46
    I have managed to find the FZV Antenna. I disconnected the antenna to see if i can initialize without the anternna. However it will not initialize. So it looks like the antenna is working. The GM5 module must also be working as all the central locking works fine. It looks like the module responsible for storing the key initialization code is not saving the pairing.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    I know this is a bit late, but I just got my key working for my 2003 E46.

1. Put the key in and turn to position 1 and then off. Repeat 5 times quickly.
    2. Pull the key out and press and hold the unlock button while pressing the lock button 3 times.

Good luck!

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    This has to be done while spinning widdershins 3 times as well and chanting Rumplestiltskin Rules at each station of the clock... 🤬

My Cars
    2001 316i
    I think I have a similar problem with door locks.

My car is 2001 316I. My problem with door locks appears to be associated with the battery charge level. If the battery is topped up, all the door locks work fine, up and down, when clicking on my key fob.

But other times, the door locking system does not work at all. The key fob does not lock or unlock the doors; no click, nothing. The only way I can get into the car is using the key in the driver's door. The interior door lock button on the console does not activate any door locks up or down. I cannot even open the doors from the inside of the car using the interior door handles; the handle just swings out when I pull on it but without unlocking the door. Neither front nor rear doors can be opened from the inside of the car. The door locks do not work whether the car motor is running or not.

When the door locks will not open, the only solution I have found is putting the battery on a charger for a few hours. Once I have the battery topped up (it appears the battery must be all the way fully charged), then all the locking systems work again normally. The key fob opens and closes all door locks. The locking button on the console works. And the interior door handles can now be used to open all the doors even when they are locked, and even when the car motor is not running.

Under normal use of the car I can never count on the fact that the battery is fully, fully charged, so I don't dare lock the car at all for fear the automatic door locks will not open. I can, of course, still get into the locked car using the key in the driver's door, but none of the passenger doors will open at all.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks very much for your time.