BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: E23 1987 Black 735i for Sale (WA/Seattle)

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i

E23 1987 Black 735i for Sale (WA/Seattle)

Edit: The car is sold! I'll keep the post here since there's a couple useful bits in the comments for folks working on e23's. Mods - if you'd like this post removed, please let me know and i'll get that content into another post elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks to all those that contacted me.

Hi, everyone -

Up for sale is my 1987 E23 735i. Black/Black, mileage estimated around 150k. Drives great, and runs okay. I've done quite a lot of work to the car over the last several years, but I find I just can't fall in love with this 7. It's time to let it go to someone that will appreciate it more than me!

Highlights of work done:

• Hand refinished wood trim
    • Brand new driveline
    • 15" Style 5 Snowflakes and Michelin tires replacing the TRX wheels (except spare)
    • R/R Fuel System, Ignition System, stereo
    • New Power Steering/Hydraulic brake pump
    • Air conditioning repaired with R12
    • New exhaust
    • Lots of little electronics repair done by me (cold solder joints, bad capacitor replacements, etc)
    • HVAC pneumatics rebuilt (no vacuum leaks!)

Sold mileage unknown, the odometer isn't reliable. Clean title, doesn't appear to ever have been in a major accident.

Happy to provide test drives to anyone in the Seattle area that wants to come have a look!

Updated Price: $4900.

Clean Title, naturally an As-Is sale. Please reach out with questions!

Extra content:

(Google Sheets) Full-disclosure list of what I've put into the car, and what's currently malfunctioning

(Google Drive) Lots of photos

Some photos:
    DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0030.jpgDSC_0033.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0026.jpg
    Last edited by isparafucile; 07-08-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Car sold

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i
    Hi everyone, dealt with the oil pressure light so I provided an update. Pretty glad that there's not actually any big problem causing that.

Anyone interested, please feel free to send a PM

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    Hi,

Did you put in a after market catalytic converter? Is it the stock BMW catalytic converter?
    Thanks

My Cars
    69'2800 85'735i 77'530i
    Can you tell me where I can get my HVAC pneumatics rebuilt. Thnx

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i
    Hi there! Sorry for the slow reply, I've been traveling.

The cat is not stock, it's a Davico I got from Rock Auto, link here. It was cheaper when I purchased it several years ago. Fitment was "fine." Looks like Bosal makes one now for the E23 (#099097 on Rock Auto), wish that was available when I needed it back in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Gold 6 View Post
    Hi,

Did you put in a after market catalytic converter? Is it the stock BMW catalytic converter?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i
    Sure! I suspect you'll be rebuilding them yourself, I don't know anyone that takes the actuators apart professionally.

I used parts from Performance Analysis Company out of Tennessee. They sell the parts for Mercedes pneumatic systems, but Behr made all the actuators for the Germans so they fit mostly fine.

http://www.perfanalysis.com/climate-...cc-version-ii/ - the "ACC-DI Climate Control Actuator Diaphgrams" is what I purchased.

A few points of note:

• The double actuator parts he makes for the merc actuators don't work that well in the E23. They'll seal to solve the "doesn't work at all" problem but the pull distance is different so they don't move quite right, your defroster won't quite have the correct position for "partial" flow. Single actuator fit is correct enough that they work just dandy.
    • HOLY CRAP the actuator plastic is brittle after all these years. Be real careful popping yours apart so you don't snap all the tabs off. Work around the unit several times with the screwdriver pushing the tabs through.
    • Order a couple extras. they're necessarily pretty thin and I did tear one.
    • Sealing the new diaphragms in the actuators is an exercise in patience. Get a mityvac to test them after you rebuild, you'll find you have to assemble them a few times to get them seated perfectly to provide a seal.
    • I had to put a bit of sealant on the stems to hold the diaphragm in place on one actuator or it wanted to slip and leak.

...turns out I have a lot to say about this. PM me if you want more info, I did a lot of troubleshooting. User Hit Man X had a lot of super valuable info in his posts that led me in the right direction. Takes awhile to find.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jdavid426 View Post
    Can you tell me where I can get my HVAC pneumatics rebuilt. Thnx

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Looks very nice

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by youngbimmer View Post
    Looks very nice

My Cars
    1987 E23 735i
    Had a nice time motoring around in the car for a couple days to keep it exercised. Had to replace a turn signal bulb, which turned into yet more work done to the car! The refurbished front turn signals shine much better.

Also lowered the price. I do need it out of my life so get in touch if you like.