Thread: Smg not cranking, selector stuck, weird motor issues

My Cars
    2002 CSM M3, 1997 m3

Smg not cranking, selector stuck, weird motor issues

So I bought an e46 m3 that had a hole in the side of the block. I then swapped in a new s54, reusing my old DME etc.

I go to start the car and the shift selector is frozen in the position leaning towards the driver, the car is stuck in 0 and will not crank.

Also the tach twitches 5 times and the temp gauge goes to full hot right when I turn the ignition on.

The smg pump is priming. And the battery is good.

Inpa gave me 9 engine codes (see screenshot below) and two SMG codes, those are shift selector angle sensor and sensor A voltage.

The actuator seems to hold at 55bar, but when I bleed the pump it fails with 6 minutes remaining. And the printout at the end says it was unable to get into 5th gear.

Can anyone help me get my car running? My main concern is that the shift selector is stuck on 0, that the temp gauge pegs before I turn the car on. And that the tach bounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Are you able to clear this error? I suggest doing that and see what comes back.

1. Temp gauge pinned to the hot side, is indication that's been over heated; clear error should reset this problem.

2. Remove the selector sensor and inspect for visable damage, they do break. I remember the gear selector sensor turn/hooked to the gear selector when you remove/install, it can break there and detached.

3. My best advice when comes to troubleshooting multiple errors, start with the simple> easy>obvious>and can fix first. The rest of the other codes/problems can be related each other, this help you eliminates some errors and you can concentrate on the rest, and fewer errors.

Good luck

Edit: the most obvious error simple error is your fuel pump relay/fuse, have you look at it?
    Last edited by asianvenom; 08-31-2018 at 07:16 AM.

My Cars
    2002 CSM M3, 1997 m3
    So, apparently bmw made the smg computer and the dme plugs the exact same, and when you mix the two, you get my symptoms . I ended up mixing a dme and smg computer plug up. The pegging of the temp gauge indicated that the dme was not communicating with the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Haha that's funny...but atleast you can laugh about it...and no other harm

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk