Thread: E83,studdering steering wheel when breaking.

My Cars
    Bmw X3

E83,studdering steering wheel when breaking.

Hi!

I have a problem,the steering wheel starts vibrating when i am breaking from higher speeds just a slight touch on the brake and the wobble starts in the steering.It is noticeable in lower speeds aswell but not as much and only when breaking never otherwise.I can say i recently changed the disc and brakepads due to rust in front and at that time i also cleaned out the calipers from rust.The vibrating in the wheel has started some weeks after the change it also seems that the discs is evenly heated when driving for a while.Any suggestions? I tried to check play in the wishbone control arm the back one? I could not feel anything in the rubbers Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards Robin

My Cars
    2001 & 1997 e38
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer meaner View Post
    Hi!

I have a problem,the steering wheel starts vibrating when i am breaking from higher speeds just a slight touch on the brake and the wobble starts in the steering.It is noticeable in lower speeds aswell but not as much and only when breaking never otherwise.I can say i recently changed the disc and brakepads due to rust in front and at that time i also cleaned out the calipers from rust.The vibrating in the wheel has started some weeks after the change it also seems that the discs is evenly heated when driving for a while.Any suggestions? I tried to check play in the wishbone control arm the back one? I could not feel anything in the rubbers Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards Robin
    I have a '01 740i which has a similar issue (it gets worse with time). I got the wheels off the ground & was able to see play in the outer tie rod for the steering. I started with the assumption that if a wheel could wiggle, when jacked up, side to side it was a steering support issue, & up & down wiggle was a wheel bearing. Please let us know what the solution was if you do diagnose & fix it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Bmw X3
    Heey ! Took some time for reply but here goes.It was warped discs in the front the new ones i changed....Not sure if it was due to a quirky caliper from beginning i changed all regarding brakes in the front and now the car runs smoother then ever thanks for the tips.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Two things warped front rotors and worn out thrust rod bushings getting beat up by the warped rotors. Though some folks will tell us that the rotors aren't warped they have hot spots that cause the pulsation, but in the normal automotive words it would be descriped as warped rotors.