Thread: Trunk will not stay latched, help

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster

Trunk will not stay latched, help

My 1999 Z3 trunk latch will not latch closed. Gently or slam it closed same result, will not latch closed. Purchased a used latch hoping that would fix it but it did not. Any ideas? Thanks

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I am sure this is a dumb question, but did you make sure that the latch was “open” so it would accept the metal strap mounted at the base of the trunk?

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Not a dumb question, it got me thinking. The latch is open but the piece attached the car that actuated the latch on the lid was not striking the latch. So I adjusted the piece on the car, inside the truck, up and that fixed it. The piece was worn from years of opening and closing. Embarrassed I did not notice this, I purchased the used latch when all I needed to do was adjust. Thanks!!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check that the sheet metal in the trunk lid is not cracking at the bolt holes that hold the latch

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Danske View Post
    Not a dumb question, it got me thinking. The latch is open but the piece attached the car that actuated the latch on the lid was not striking the latch. So I adjusted the piece on the car, inside the truck, up and that fixed it. The piece was worn from years of opening and closing. Embarrassed I did not notice this, I purchased the used latch when all I needed to do was adjust. Thanks!!
    You are not the first to do this. I have plenty of "spare" parts for the same reason. I hate to admit it, but sometimes it's just easier to try a new part. Also, switching parts can help diagnose the situation.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Danske View Post
    Glad you got it fixed.

dont ask me why I thought of the latch being open! I beat a door (not on my M) to death trying to get it to close...turned out somehow the latch was closed. Beat it to death ��!

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)