Thread: Writing VIN to SZL with Tool32

My Cars
    '95 840Ci, '06 730d

Writing VIN to SZL with Tool32

Hoping some coding experts can help me with this, bear with me...

The SZL module in my E65 needs replacing as despite cleaning, it is still throwing error codes and knocking out all the connected systems. I believe the contact wipers have worn down to a point beyond repair, so I purchased a used SZL module, inspected the wipers (very good condition, no dirt build up or apparent wear), and swapped it this morning.

I was hoping to clear the codes and have an error free dash, but no luck. Further exploration of DIS revealed that if the SZL module is replaced, a calibration process has to be completed and this will not work if the VIN number in the SZL does not match that of the car.

So I’ve used NCS to obtain my full VIN with checksum character, and I’ve used INPA to determine the correct SGBD group as D_SZL. I’ve then started Tool32, loaded the D_SZL group and used c_fg_lesen, which gives me a result of JOB_STATUS_OKAY and then the current VIN stored in the used SZL. All well and good until I try to use c_fg_schreiben to write my full VIN with checksum to the SZL. I get the following error message:

ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUEN CE_ERROR

I’ve tried using just the last 7 digits of the VIN, with and without the checksum etc but these bring up a different error of ERROR_NUMBER_ARGUMENT. And the VIN remains incorrect. I’ve also tried doing this with the key in, key out, ign position 2, engine started etc, same result.

Really don’t want to go to the trouble of dismantling my steering column again but I suppose I could just replace the metal wiper contact ring on my current SZL with the one from the used part. Before I do this, does anyone have any suggestions? Just need to write my VIN to the used SZL and then I can crack on with the calibration process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 840Ci, '06 730d
    Still no joy, so I decided to go with plan B and just take it all apart again. My original SZL module was put back in with the contact wiper ring from the replacement part. I know have an warning free dash with zero fault codes!

Please feel free to post up some solutions to the initial problem though, in case anyone else runs into a similar problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk