Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saved from Purgatory

My Cars
    1998 328i

Saved from Purgatory, 328ic build

I heard the devil (66 6) had his eye on this this manual 328 hellrot vert, with intetentions of tearing it apart piece by piece to offer up to his loyal minions (at reasonable prices) but I beat him to the punch and hope to bring it salvation. I've been looking for a clean car with a blown motor to dump my project stroker m52 into. Really wanted a manual 328 sedan but this will do.
    20180825_115937.jpg
    20180825_125925.jpg
    Last edited by gdavid; 08-29-2018 at 10:46 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    must have been painted huh?

Looks great, have fun with it. Is this going to be you build thread?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I don't think it has been repainted but could be wrong. It was loved at some point but now the interior is shot. The body is very good. I guess this will be the build thread, I need to figure out a better picture posting method . I hope to avoid doing too much aside from the engine swap. The top is new but things are screwd up, that will take some tinkering. It has some electrical gremlins and won'the crank. Fuse 31 keeps blowing so EWS isn't getting power, I need to find that short and get it turning over before I put the engine in. More than anything else, I want to try out my stroker.
    My auto sedan is also Hellrot so I painted the block of my project motor to match it, assuming it would be going in that car but it's running too well to disturb.

20180222_214916.jpg
    Last edited by gdavid; 08-25-2018 at 10:47 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Go it cranking and starting again, thanks to the search function. Fuse 31 supports EWS and some climate control functions, the heater valve was blowing the fuse, with that unplugged and a new fuse she fired up. I really didn't want to swap the engine only to have to not be able to crank it up. Now I can start pulling the engine.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    The project motor was an m52b25 engine from a 323 that now has m54b30 internals and intake cam in it. I'm going to run it with the m52 intake manifold and the stock tune.

I just ordered the last couple of basics to get the motor in, new water pump and engine mounts. I'm going to reuse every other peripheral for now because I know they work. I have a few more parts on the engine than the old picture above, the valve cover, oil pan, oil filter housing and thermostat housing are all on it. Everything else is getting swapped straight over aside from new gaskets and O-rings. I really wish the gasket kit included a parts list to help confirm where everything goes, the gaskets are pretty obvious but the O-rings are just a process of matching them up as best I can. I haven't torqued my harmonic damper down yet, I'm using one from an m54 engine without the timing teeth and want to make sure the accessory pulley's line up properly before torqueing it down, otherwise I can use the m52 damper. I want to use the m54 damper because it is a snugger fit on the crankshaft.

I hope to get the exhaust off the car tonight, driveshaft out and bell housing bolts removed. Still deciding whether I will pull the head before pulling the engine or not, just for the sake of curiosity. The seller reported that cylinder 5 has no compression but I don't know if it is a valve or piston issue. The thing barely had any oil in it, I put 4 quarts in it just to bring it halfway up the dipstick. It runs smoothly and quietly aside from the miss so I doubt the piston is in pieces. I'm really hoping the head is salvageable as it could recoup close to half of what I spent on the car.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Called it any early night and put the kids to bed. I rarely complete more than half what I expect to. Got the exhaust off which in tailed wringing 3 of the 6 exhaust manifold studs off, two came off clean and the last rounded off so I cut it with a grinder and cutoff wheel. I don't see it worth the effort to try and save, the are pretty rusted up at this point. I already have another pair of manifolds on my workbench with most of the studs removed. I have stainless metric bolts and nuts holding those flanges together on my sedan. It can be awkward to get a wrench to the backside but most of the time the nut backs off before the bolt starts to turn without a wrench on it. I'very had that exhaust on and off far to often during the year I've had it.

I found two bad sections in the floor, the footwell behind the driver seat is rusted through, just in front of the fuel tank and something hard and start punched two jagged holes in the passenger foot well. I'll be rethinking this project a bit but will probably just fix them and keep going. The manual zf transmission swap parts in this thing are worth more than I have in it so parting it out remains an option.
    Last edited by gdavid; 08-27-2018 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Pulled transmission out tonight, I hadn't had the pleasure of doing that on one of these yet. The guide pin that aligns the starter was stuck incredibly tight, I would have really frustrated to deal with that if I was only replacing the starter. I have not pulled the intake manifold yet and should have done that first to make separating the starter easier. I'm planning to move it over to the stroker before pulling the engine anyway but was anxious to get separating the trans behind me.

My intent with this car was doing the absolute minimum to install and test the engine but I am running into several "while I'm in there" issues. I'm going to go ahead and replace the input and output seals on the transmission, it is easily the most valuable thing about this car and may end up going into my sedan. I was tired and didn't remove the pressure plate yet but it must be due for a clutch. Car only has 127k miles so it is probably original, I didn't see any sign of previous disassembly. The differential is a greasy mess so seals are in order, I haven't taken a close look at the axle halves yet. If the boots are intact I will leave them be and pull them out later and do the wheel bearings then. I have no use for a vert and plan to sell it in the spring, either with this engine or the m52b28 that's currently in my sedan but the body is so damn pretty I may have a hard time letting it go. It also has new koni suspension in it. I am enjoying working on it because I don't have any rush to get it back together like my daily driver or maybe it is because this one cost so little that I just don't care about screwing something up. I am also much more familiar with these things since I've had one for a year. My neighbors must thing I have a real love for bright red bmw's now.
    Last edited by gdavid; 08-30-2018 at 11:38 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Finding pieces of an old fan that exploded. A complete one was in place bit there was a tip embedded in the radiator and another big piece wedged between the AC tensioner and the timing cover. I think this thing lived a hard life over its last 25k miles of ownership.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I was planning to reuse just about every piece of wiring, sensors and intake system from the blown engine with a little clean up along the way but it appears this thing was ingesting a large amount of oil. I only ran it a few minutes before starting to tear it all out as I just needed to confirm it that the fuel, ignition and intake was all working but did not notice any blue smoke coming out of it. It was way down on oil but I have no idea how long it was run since the young man who owned it last checked the level. With the intake removed I see carbon buildup on all of the valves, particularly number 5 which was reported to have not compression. The aft valve on cylinder 6, which is currently closed has a pool of oil covering it, I believe this thing was sucking oil out of the oil pan like a straw through the CCV. I don't know if there is an easy way to bench test to see if the diaphragm is ruined but something seems off. I believe I have another one that came with the project engine, along with an idle control valve but may just get a new one. The inside of the intake is coated in oil as well as the tips of the injectors. It seems amazing that it was outwardly running as smoothly as it did. My optimistic side is hoping that the carbon build up on cylinder 5 intake valves is preventing them from seating and this is the cause of the low compression and that the head is salvageable but I'm sure that reality will strike soon enough when I pull the head. I don't need it for any particular reason but a good m5x head is always handy.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Still plugging along slowly and updating this thread for my own amusement and in case anyone has advice to throw in along the way. My garage lighting is terrible but I'll take some more pictures soon, so far everything is very pedestrian but perhaps the floor repairs later on will interest someone.

I'm getting a hour or two a night on it and trying to keep it all organized. I'm leaving the wiring harness with the engine for now, everything to the chassis is disconnected. The AC condenser and power steering pump are loose and going to stay with the car. I'm leaving the core support in for now because I don't want to remove the condenser. I got the hood off last night which is a chore when working alone. Tonight I'll get the car back on the floor, disconnect a couple heater hoses and pull it on out.

Bought the "sorta s52" cams from someguy2800 which require a little more effort to install but provide the same results. I'm haven't decided whether to use them for this build or not. I'm leaning toward leaving them out for now and seeing how the m54b30 intake cam does first especially since I'm going to start with the stock 328 tune.
    Last edited by gdavid; 09-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Pulled the engine out last night. Just brought it straight out the top along with the harness. I would like to put the new moto back in place with the transmission, intake, accessories and harness all attached, everything but the AC compressor. My plan is to drop the subframe and mount the engine and trans to that and then bring the whole thing up from underneath. Next steps are cleaning the engine bay, steering rack and subframe up while I can still wheel it ouside. Also have a ton of parts cleaning ahead of me. Both the transmission and differentail need new seals which means they are filthy.

I rolled past 100k miles on my sedan yesterday, I bought it last June with just under 69k so it is getting plenty of use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i convert
    Congrats on the hellrot vert. I found a great deal from Craigslist back in June for the same car. Its a 96 with 116k miles from the second owner who owned it since 2001. The car was beautiful inside and out when I bought it for $1,500 because it wasn't running and ignition key stuck in the on position. $60 for an ignition switch and I was cruising. This is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever owned. I'm enjoying reading about your project.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    I started cleaning the injectors last night. I using a shade tree set up of a syringe, some clear tubing, sea foam, a 9 volt battery, a spare bosch 2 wire connector and a momentary switch. It was a comedy of errors last night, first I couldn't find a 9v battery connector at the hardware store and was too lazy to search around the house for an old toy to rob one from. I figured I could just use a dab of solder to connect each lead to the battery instead, but fried two batteries before giving up on that. I ended up bypassing my switch and just touching the wire leads to the battery while simultaneously squeezing the syringe and holding the injector. The spray from the injector was just two pathetic streams, I didn't pull the little basket screen out or have any way of gauging the pressure, but I would guess about 30-40 psi based on how I was squeezing the syringe. After a few attempts of finding a better way to hold everything, I ended up with a hose coming loose and managing to shoot myself in the eye with the sea foam. That pretty much wrapped up my efforts for the evening. I'm going to improve my wiring and hose connections and try again tonight but it appears that I will have to run a good bit of cleaner through these things before I get a decent spray out of them. I haven't tried the injector from the dead cylinder yet but it will be interesting to see how it does. I also haven't pulled the head yet to see if the low compression is a piston, ring or valve issue.

I'd like to avoid buying new injectors because used or "rebuilt" may not be any better than what I already have and I've been spending too much already on this car to buy new ones. I don't have an ultrasonic parts cleaner so my plan is to just run injector cleaner through them until the spray looks good.
    Last edited by gdavid; 09-13-2018 at 12:35 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Pulled the engine out last night. Just brought it straight out the top along with the harness. I would like to put the new moto back in place with the transmission, intake, accessories and harness all attached, everything but the AC compressor. My plan is to drop the subframe and mount the engine and trans to that and then bring the whole thing up from underneath. Next steps are cleaning the engine bay, steering rack and subframe up while I can still wheel it ouside. Also have a ton of parts cleaning ahead of me. Both the transmission and differentail need new seals which means they are filthy.

I rolled past 100k miles on my sedan yesterday, I bought it last June with just under 69k so it is getting plenty of use.
    I swapped my motor by taking the nose of the car off - way easier from what is was told if you want to put trans and motor in one shot .
    Took like two or three ours to remove as I was careful.to bag and tag all the bolts and take pictures for reassembly. Went real smoothly for 30 some years since I last swapped an engine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksone30 View Post
    I swapped my motor by taking the nose of the car off - way easier from what is was told if you want to put trans and motor in one shot .
    Took like two or three ours to remove as I was careful.to bag and tag all the bolts and take pictures for reassembly. Went real smoothly for 30 some years since I last swapped an engine
    Thanks, I may end up going that direction when putting it back in.

I'm struggling to find time to work on it right now. I did flush a couple more injectors, each had the exact same looking flow pattern. I guess they are consistent but they don't look good to me and aren't improving. I got frustrated and bought a set off of ebay that have supposedly been flow tested and matched. I'll check them when they arrive but at the rate my method was going, I was going to spend more in injector detergent than what the "new" set cost me.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Pulled the transmission input seal out only to find I ordered the wrong part somehow. It is particularly frustrating because this one wasn't leaking, only the output but this seemed like a logical time to change it out. I ordered the 3 differential seals, Trans input and output seals at the same time.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Still plugging along despite delays. The wiring harness, intake and exhaust manifolds are on the new engine. I had two exhaust manifold studs to remove that were very stubborn, the studs that secure the mid-pipe to the header (not the studs in the head). This was on the set of headers that came with the project motor. I wrung off 5 of six bolts out of the blown motor as well when prepping to pull it out of laziness. I haven't decided whether I will replace the studs or just use bolts and nuts. I realized last night that the nylon clutch fork pivot pin had not shown up yet, I'll need that as well as the transmission input seal before I can get much further. I'm determined to install the engine with the intake manifold in place, I figure I thoroughly inspect all of the connections better on the engine stand and be less likely to end up with a vacuum leak or damage the wiring harness this way, time will tell. The S52 (sorta) cams I bought showed up Friday, I'm probably going to save them for another project but temptation might get the best of me.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Open wide!

20181013_110401.jpg20181013_110353.jpg

New engine and transmission are in.

This isn't the easiest way but I just didn't feel like pulling the front off. I did end up lowering the subframe a bit to clear the oil pan. I wouldn't do it this way again but it did work.
    Last edited by gdavid; 10-13-2018 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    That's ballzy with the manifold on, not only delicate but it has to go underneath the harness box.

Nice work!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    That's ballzy with the manifold on, not only delicate but it has to go underneath the harness box.

Nice work!
    Speaking of manifolds gonna have to pull mine to swap the starter as the solenoid is getting stuck sometimes.
    Should have cleaned it up with the motor out it would have been a 10 min job. Time to order a manifold gasket I guess.

I cant imagine putting the engine in like that.
    Wonder how lone it took to wiggle it in there.

This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post

Nice work!
    The harness box was not in place, the engine harness was on the engine already so the wiring box was laying on top of the motor. The fuel rail, coils, throttle body and o2 sensors all need to go back on but most everything else is in place.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Little progress made on the car but big progress on the state of my garage. Finally have electrical outlets throughout the garage, doubled my shop lighting and inherited a small metal lathe. I had been putting off the electrical work in the garage for 10 years for no good reason, working off extension cords and drop lights, my father stopped by over the weekend and was so frustrated by the situation that he wired up the place while I was at work as an early birthday present. Its is literally the difference between night and day and I feel really dumb for putting it off. The lathe is a lightweight unit but among other projects, I plan to rig up a way to balance and modify drive shafts.

I'm about one evening away from finally firing up this project.

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    Little progress made on the car but big progress on the state of my garage. Finally have electrical outlets throughout the garage, doubled my shop lighting and inherited a small metal lathe. I had been putting off the electrical work in the garage for 10 years for no good reason, working off extension cords and drop lights, my father stopped by over the weekend and was so frustrated by the situation that he wired up the place while I was at work as an early birthday present. Its is literally the difference between night and day and I feel really dumb for putting it off. The lathe is a lightweight unit but among other projects, I plan to rig up a way to balance and modify drive shafts.

I'm about one evening away from finally firing up this project.
    What the F ? No pictures of the garage ? I'm disappointed big time .

This car is AWESOME !!!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    20181016_200616.jpg20181016_200650.jpg20181016_200711.jpg20181016_200747.jpg20181016_200740.jpg

It's an absolute mess that needs a week of reorganization and at least 4 trips to the landfill but it is nice to have. The previous owner built this unattached garage for his class A motor home with a 12' door on the high bay. I store my 19' runabout here with a laser sailboat suspended from the rafters above it. The high bay is great in that my wake board tower can stay up. The low bay has a loft above it packed with boat, BMW and an old Yamaha in pieces. There is a counterweighted staircase that swings down to access it and save space. The whole loft is suspended from doubled up rafters to avoid columns which could get in the way (I have a temp column at the moment because I lifted the motor and Trans together from above) . I have a lawn tractor, mini front end loader taking up space as well and my bench is a wreck. I also have a garage door into my unfinished basement of the house. There is a 420 sailboat currently stored there. Too many toys and projects to keep up with for a working stiff with 3 kids. I wish I had the time to putter all day, first world problems.

I enjoyed taco Tuesday too long to get much together tonight. I installed the fuel rail, upstream O2 sensors, checked the timing and torqued the Jesus bolt. Need to connect the harness to the car and put the throttle body back in place before I can fire it up.
    Last edited by gdavid; 10-16-2018 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    Nice air compressor. I have a similar one, mine has an external starter/overload and a Baldor 7.5hp motor. It works awesome, mine is rated at 21 CFM at 175 PSI.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast