Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Alternator whine with a twist

My Cars
    1994 325i

Alternator whine with a twist

Hello all, new guy here. I just picked up a 1994 325i convertible for practically nothing and I'm slowly trying to sort out some of the small issues. The car has an amp with an EQ in the glove box and a head unit in the standard spot, both EQ and HU are Kenwood. For some reason I can't get any sound from the drivers side front speakers except for alternator whine. I get alternator whine from the other speakers also, and the whine is still present with the RCA's disconnected. I read lots of posts regarding whine, but I had not come across any similar to my situation. Thanks for the help.
    Patrick

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    It's almost impossible to make a diagnosis combining aftermarket installations and attempting to do it remotely. I would check the wire continuity from the non-working speaker to the EQ, especially the ground or common. Good luck with the whine. If the alternator is aftermarket or has been changed with other than a new factory or factory reman unit then it probably has a cheap voltage regulator unit. They all operate at high frequecies and I suspect quality control might be the problem. But it's about a thousand miles away so I'm guessing. The easiest way to get rid of the whine without spending too much time is to just install a power line filter that usually blocks those frequencies. Works most of the time. Also, is it any better or worse when using all or any particular audio source? One more thing. Don't use crimp type connectors. Not only do they make a crappy connection but they also loosen and come apart under vibration, and everything in/on a car vibrates. Always solder and shrink wrap as your first option.
    Last edited by tjm3; 08-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T