Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW V8 powered Rat Rod/T-Bucket.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    That's completely unacceptable. There actually should be 0 deflection there. If you can't change that angle, you're gonna need to ditch that altogether and just run a U-joint with an adapter. And now that I'm thinking about this - you have a live axle, you need a U-joint anyways, you can't have the driveshaft moving around with a flexdisc. Flexdiscs are for vibration control, NOT deflection.
    I'm thinking along the same lines, I'll start investigating a U-joint yoke that could work on the Getrag output flange. However it isn't a live axle, the center section is hard mounted to the frame and it has control arms and axles to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    As Liquidity said, flex disc is for vibration isolation and can't be used to do a u-joit's job. Maybe as a solution try to design in a center support bearing?
    The drive shaft will only be 12"-14" long when it's all said and done, plus I'd need to mount another crossmember for the support bearing. I think running a U-joint at trans output would be an easier & cheaper solution

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Me thinks there should be a slight angle, but not 0. Bearings and CV joints need a slight angle so they will rotate in their housing to keep them from riding on the same spot.
    https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...gle-calculator

https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=74855

Can you change the lengths of the axles to center the diff?
    Last edited by JimLev; 10-31-2018 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    I believe in OE trim the first section of driveshaft before carrier bearing is 0 degree, or close. Then the post carrier bearing, U-joint to Diff has the driveline angle.

I could offset the diff in the frame, but that too would look odd from the rear of the vehicle. The focal point of the rear is that diff with inboard brakes.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    For fun, went a bit goofy on headlight mounting:

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Tucker style!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nothing wrong with that.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6

My Cars
    1974 estoril blue 2002
    Sick project man. Definitely following this one. The m62 is great engine in stock form. You are going to have an absolute monster! It's gonna be priceless to pull up to a euro car meet in that thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looks like your making good progress. Might have to take my '33 for a ride(when it's done) to AZ next year to check out your ride.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    I'm thinking along the same lines, I'll start investigating a U-joint yoke that could work on the Getrag output flange. However it isn't a live axle, the center section is hard mounted to the frame and it has control arms and axles to the wheels.

The drive shaft will only be 12"-14" long when it's all said and done, plus I'd need to mount another crossmember for the support bearing. I think running a U-joint at trans output would be an easier & cheaper solution
    It will be necessary as with only one U-joint you'll not have constant velocity, especially at that angle.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Saw this on YellowBullet! Awesome. I love these crazy builds.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Fuel tank arrived:

Picked up this three pedal assembly with masters that it's intended use is a sandrail. I liked that the unit is modular & self contained.

You see there is a clearance issue with the exhaust, the front of the tape line is where the front of the body sits

Managed to find bolt in masters that have a smaller reservoir, I also like that the lines will go to the rear away from the heat source.

Clearanced the body to fit over the pedal assembly. Could have been done cleaner but I want the ability to remove the body easily and retain all mechanicals on the frame.

Put the engine on it's mounting pucks to get a better idea of exact drivetrain height for exhaust clearance:

You can see a bit of engine tilt back here, the goal will be to have parallel valve covers to frame rails. This will look cleaner and provide the same Ujoint angle on trans output and differential.

Parallel drivetrain will also increase the exhaust to masters clearance and I may even be able to pull the pedal assembly forward a bit increasing leg stretch room. As is it's not terrible.

6'1" size 13 shoes. Keep in mind I need to bend and tweak pedal arms to get full swing and clearance.

I'm starting to get scatter brained looking at the vehicle as a whole and only starting one part of a system at a time, so I'm going to start focusing on one thing at a time starting at the rear. Welding in the rear diff mounting and rear coil over mounting and then working my way forward. I'm going to be losing this shop space at the end of the month, the vehicle will be in pieces in storage until I can line up another shop space so I might be on hiatus for a while. I'll try not to back burner the project as it's out of sight & out of mind, it's important to me to reach a goal this year with this vehicle.
    Last edited by Mykk; 12-08-2018 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Very cool!

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    When I started putting this thing together in my head I always imagined a chopped '32 grille behind the axle. I just mocked the full length '32 grille in front of the axle and leaned back. I'm beginning to feel this might be the way to go. Cleans up the look and gives room for the water-to-air heat exchanger in front of the radiator.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looks much better with the radiator in front of the axle, need to have the rake look.
    Hers's a friends '32, not the same as your T-bucket, straight radiator.
    IMG_20180713_124606130_HDR.jpg

And the one I'm building.
    IMG_20180712_180758645.jpg

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    cool project!! in for more
    1995 Mazda RX-7 Feed Widebody LS3 6-speed (Toy, project)
    2010 Cadillac Escalade Luxury (Daily, Pulls my 18' car hauler)
    2014 BMW 328d XDrive (Wife's Daily)
    Have owned 4 other BWM's I no longer have.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Definitely need the rake.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    With the hard top. I'm not 100% sold on the top, It definitely changes the attitude which I like. Even hinged at the rear with removable pivot pins to take off the top it'll interfere with my roll bar plans and change the idea I'm running with for the windshield.

Picked up a set of aftermarket adjustable motorcycle coil over shocks for the rear. I figure since there will be four of them and since the car weighs next to nothing it may work out and ride okay. If not it's an easy fix.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    After a hiatus I'm back on the project. Losing the use of one shop space, putting everything into storage. A brutal winter in this area. Now found a new shop space and continuing on.

My first time welding. Just tacking in bits until a pro can come in with some real firepower.

Differential mounting:

Differential cross member and seat mounting:

Motor mounts, radius arm mount tabs:

Clutch & brake master/pedal assembly mounting:

Kinda funny seeing how far back the seats sit without a body or drivetrain.

Rear shock mounting:

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Glad to see you centered the rear end.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    This is awesome, the engine is a masterpiece. Do u have a estimate at how much power it should make with that blower?

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallande5020 View Post
    This is awesome, the engine is a masterpiece. Do u have a estimate at how much power it should make with that blower?
    Thank you. My goal is 450hp...which will likely feel like 600hp in an 1800lb car.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyEuQv4yFCU |||||| Found you'r update on the tube when looking at supercharger m62's lol. good stuff.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Finalizing the welds:

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallande5020 View Post
    ... Found your update on the tube when looking at supercharger m62's lol. good stuff.
    Thank you, I'm going to try to stay up & up on the video updates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast