Thread: *Donated unnamed e46 project*

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i

*Donated unnamed e46 project*

Intro:
    This thread is going to be used as a progress journal of sorts. A way for me to document the journey of (hopefully) restoring this abused e46 to the best of my abilities. If not to Show fame then at least to Go fame, as right now it is parked with a flat tire and 6 engine codes (until I read and deleted them). Hopefully it makes for a good read, as I've always found forum threads to be beneficial when it comes to tracking your work or simply asking for advice along the way.

The Backstory:
    I'd always had my eye on my father-in-laws BMW anytime we'd go visit. Mainly because I saw the potential in the car from the first time I'd laid eyes upon it. He is a construction worker and used it as his work car, so trust me it's been through some hell. From time to time I'd order parts for him or go by to help him with small jobs (soldering tail lights, recommending parts or part sources) but it never went further than that. The months went by, my fiance and I moved to NC for work back in May of 2017, and life moved on. Well, about 2 months ago we moved back to CA and reunited with the family. He got an actual work truck, and about a week ago my father-in-law (Eric) decided to hand the car over to me free of charge. My first thought wasn't "what a nice guy", or "wow he must really like me". It was more along the lines of..."ok what the hell is wrong with it?". My wife's first thought was "wow he really likes him!", but that quickly change to..."wait what the hell why didn't he offer it to me?!?" Long story short, we aired up the flat tire and drove it and all of it's engine codes to our place as I was anxious to start figuring out why he donated this unnamed e46 to me.

The Project:
    A 2002 E46 330i sporting an automatic transmission with 188K on the engine and chassis. It's shell is painted titan silber metallic paint (most of it anyways) and it's guts are standardleder/grau.

I have yet to physically drive it, but from what I can tell it leaks coolant (or water in Eric's case ), it leaks power steering fluid, and it won't pass emissions here in CA. First thing I did after parking it was run codes and get to doing research on them.

Codes:
    P0313
    P0455
    P1083/P1085
    P0171/P0174

After that I started looking online, trying to establish a starting point as well crunching numbers on how much it will cost to get this thing to pass rego and back on the road. Aesthetics are definitely on the back burner (though I said that about my MK3 Jetta and I managed to sprinkle in some parts every now and then, but only out of necessity ).

The Game Plan:
    My game plan is simple. Research and repair as much of this stuff on my own starting with the coolant and evap systems. I've been watching 50'skid videos (ton of help) and will be reaching out for advice, but here are the plans so far (in a somewhat specific order). If you do have any advice or recommended brand names to these parts, please drop those in this thread as I'll need all the guidance I can get.

Emissions:
    P0313
    Buy fuel injector cleaner and change fuel filter
    P0455
    Replace gas cap (if needed) and check all evap hoses
    P0171/P0174
    Check CCV and hoses
    Clean MAF
    Replace Air Filter
    Check PCV lines
    Check PCV valve
    Check lower intake boot
    Check upper intake boot
    Replace O2 sensors (if needed)

Cooling System:
    Replace expansion tank
    Replace upper/lower rad hoses
    Replace o ring seal coolant sensor
    Replace thermostat/t stat housing
    Replace water pump
    Fill with actual coolant once leaks are gone

Power steering:
    Check power steering pump hose for leaks

Other:
    Check cabin air filter
    Check DISA valve
    Check/Repair VANOS
    Check oil filter gasket housing
    Replace driver side door lock mechanism
    Replace/patch passenger side tire
    Replace kidney grills
    Fix power locks (non-op)
    Replace rear passenger/driver window regulators
    Replace front bumper
    Replace windscreen
    Replace Raiders license plate frame
    Check ATF fluid

Summary:
    This is going to be a slow and steady operation, but I do plan on posting any and all progress here. I'm new to the BMW community, and am confident that I can get this thing back on the road again. Thanks, and peace for now!
    Last edited by The330iProject; 08-25-2018 at 03:47 AM.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Tip: don't replace your O2 sensors just yet. Inspect the intake for vacuum leaks (remember the brake booster), clean the MAF as you already suggested and preventively replace the PCV. That will probably fix your lean issue already. The O2 sensors rarely go bad so the issue is more likely somewhere else. If all else fails and they need replacement: always get genuine BMW sensors, as aftermarket sensors regularly cause problems.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Raddee View Post
    Tip: don't replace your O2 sensors just yet. Inspect the intake for vacuum leaks (remember the brake booster), clean the MAF as you already suggested and preventively replace the PCV. That will probably fix your lean issue already. The O2 sensors rarely go bad so the issue is more likely somewhere else. If all else fails and they need replacement: always get genuine BMW sensors, as aftermarket sensors regularly cause problems.
    Thanks Raddee.

I agree with you, going to change those out last if the codes come back.

Can’t wait to get this thing on the road huggin’ curves where it belongs!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    You have a sentimental value connected for this BMW car, I appreciate that. A grand effort and much funding can resurrect this BMW car..for sure.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    The 330 is a sweet ride when it is working correctly - so keep your eye on the prize.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    You have a sentimental value connected for this BMW car, I appreciate that.
    Meh - no sentimental value attached really. Just couldn’t picture seeing this thing scrapped considering the (potentially) easy fixes to get her up and running. Plus I’ve always admired bimmers, so I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to learn about them by wrenching on one myself. Diamond in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    A grand effort and much funding can resurrect this BMW car..for sure.
    A somewhat grand effort yes, but most of the codes are related to standard maintenance items anyways. Things I would have rebuilt regardless given the miles on it. That’s assuming I don’t run into any major issues along the way of course. The “much funding” will come with modifications and buying pay to play parts and goodies I’ll probably want down the road lol. Now if I was going to the stealership for parts/labor than yes...one would get raped no lube going that route. But hey the car was free and doesn’t show any signs of major irreparable damage. Guess only time will tell...
    Last edited by The330iProject; 09-05-2018 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    The 330 is a sweet ride when it is working correctly - so keep your eye on the prize.
    Yep that’s the plan, it’ll get there eventually.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    Similarly I have acquired a 2004 325i for next to nothing. A product of a front end collision. Car has 200k miles on it. Hoping to get some help and direction on the forum on how or what I should do to get this thing up and running. Good luck brother. Hopefully we can keep in touch as we're both embarking on very similar journeys.

-James
    Charleston, SC
    (443) 557-8099

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Good Luck 330i project.
    I just purchased a 04 325ci and after 20 miles a check engine code popped up. I bought it from a BMW dealer so will see what goes. I have ordered a code reader, Foxwell that will arrive some day from China and a service manual that should be here today. I have never owned a BMW but have been in love with them forever. I started with wanting an older Z3 but never pulled the trigger on one. i decided on the 3 three series about three months ago and was surprised how many are out there. Thanks to this thread I will change the PCV and try and find the MAF and clean it? I disconnected the positive battery last night for an hour and when I reconnected it the light was still on. Maybe I should have disconnected the positive and negative. Anyway I am diving into a 14 yr old convertible sports car and will follow your journey for ideas.

Jeff from Houston

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Lots will help here..a few may not!

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    I just acquired for almost free a new to me 330 e46 also. Sounds like we can swap stories, I started a thread on mine also.
    First thing I learned is almost all rubber goes bad, replace vacuum lines, intake, valve cover gaskets.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 04325softtop View Post
    Good Luck 330i project.
    I just purchased a 04 325ci

Oh cool, another new convertible owner. I didn't know there was a 325 and 330 convertible. Is it a different motor?

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5

Basically you have ALL of the general maintenance due. Easiest solution go to ecstuning and buy their refresh kits: coolant system, get metal pulleys etc.

Then refresh all fluids.

Check all rubber bushings and replace as needed.

Change oil.

Replace any worn out parts.

Go drive and have fun.

Welcome to Bmw driving!
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!