Thread: Replaced hydraulic belt tensioner with mechanical - massive oil leak

My Cars
    2004 330xi

Unhappy Replaced hydraulic belt tensioner with mechanical - massive oil leak

Today I replaced my serpentine and ac belts and the tensioners on my 2004 330xi. There was a hydraulic tensioner that I replaced with a mechanical. This required me to bolt into a spot on the oil filter housing that previously did not have a bolt in it. I used the new bolt from the kit and near the end of tightening it down, but not yet even torquing it, I heard a noise. I finished bolting it in and replaced the belt. I started up the car and immediately a large oil leak started pooling under the car. I traced it back to the bolt area and oil appeared to be coming out of where the bolt/tensioner is connected to the housing. Any ideas on exactly what I have done and what are my remedies?
    Thank you.
    Cams

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hmmm, I don’t remember a tensioner bolt going into the OFH. Remove the suspect bolt to see if it’s intact. I wonder if the bolt is broken. From which vendor did you buy the tensioner stuff?

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    Hi,
    I bought it through eeuroparts. I was able to see what happened. The bolt that went into the OFH had never been used because of the hydraulic tensioner. I now see the crack in the housing right above the bolt oozing oil. I assume 14 years of heat with never having a bolt in there was the cause of the crack? I'm now looking for a used OFH. Of course, now I'm scared it will happen again with the same bolt.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Cams

My Cars
    LS E46
    It's because you didn't clean the threads out before you installed the bolt. This is a common occurrence on any alloy engine, especially head bolt holes. Alloy castings cannot handle the pressure of debris inside the holes when a bolt tries to squeeze past, they simply crack.

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    The bolt was new but the hole was dirty from never being used and I simply wiped with my finger. Hard lesson learned.
    Thank you for the reply.