Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e39 Sound System Repair

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i

Question e39 Sound System Repair

Hi,

So I have a monitor navigation system that does not show anything on the display, has a screechy sound when it is on, and drains the battery. Long story short, the fuses were taken out that connected to the system to avoid having the battery being drained. For me, there are two options to correct this issue:

1. I find out which part or parts of the sound system or navigation system (i.e. amplifier, radio) is responsible for this issue, which could result in high repair costs
    2. I instill an aftermarket sound system that uses bluetooth to connect to the speakers.

I imagine option 2 will be less expensive. Therefore, I wanted to ask the best way to approach this option, given the size of a 2002 BMW 540i and the limitations to install an aftermarket unit in that car. What components of the sound system are needed to overcome this issue

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The amp is staying on after you turn off the car. The amp hers 12VDC at all times. The head unit sends it a 12VDC “turn on” signal when the head unit is on. It’s likely causing the bad sounds. It needs to be replaced.
    As you know, the guts of the nav/audio system are in the trunk.

I think the best way is to rip it all out, install a decent double DIN head unit and a quality amp. The amp will go in the trunk, of course. Lastly, you’ll need crossovers to get the proper audio frequencies to each speaker. Why? I believe the factory amp has built in crossovers. Oh, the speakers are likely kaput.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Many threads on this forum and all others about what you can do with an E39 for audio upgrades, have a look around. You could overhaul the existing OEM modules, but as you mention this will be relatively/substantially expensive. A much more better value for money option is to go with a premium brand after market head unit with Bluetooth built in so you connect your smartphone to it. The head unit or an amplifier unit connects via wires to the actual speakers which I also recommend you upgrade, there's no 'bluetooth only' connected speakers on the market.

I have an E39, and have zero oem audio in it, I've gone 100% aftermarket for my setup and all with premium brands as the 'cheapy' chinese stuff isn't very reliable overall.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, listen to Dennis! He knows his stuff!