Thread: Has anyone on here actually tried a Vinyl Top?

My Cars
    09/95' 325ic

Has anyone on here actually tried a Vinyl Top?

8 years ago I installed a tan canvas top on my E36. Turned out great, I put it through Hell and now I need to replace it again since the stitching is failing around the rear window. I'm thinking of switching back to Black and there are a lot of different options available now. This Black Vinyl Top actually looks pretty good. Its got some texture to it. I'm thinking it might be easier to clean/maintain and if it does actually reduce outside noise that would be a plus. Does anyone on here have a Vinyl top on their E36?

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    I have not had one on my BMW, but have on my past American cars. It will look different. A bit more shine. But I see no reason why not to do it, except it will upset the purists.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    The purists will hate it but it's your car. Having both types the big knock against vinyl is the large variation of it's size between cold and warm temperatures. If you live in an area where there are large variations in temp then you may want to stick with the cloth type. Having both types (non-E36) in the past I wouldn't bother with vinyl but it's a personnal thing.

Don B.