Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Going without a spare tire...

My Cars
    98 & 99 M3, '06 E60M5S3

Going without a spare tire...

In general, I'm curious as to everyone's opinions on using the space in the trunk generally afforded to the spare tire for custom audio install. There's the obvious downside which is not having a spare tire. But is that really a big deal? Newer Volvo's, such as my wife's S60, no longer come with a spare and have you seal a flat instead, then limp to a dealer. This won't be my daily driver either.

I just completed the custom install on my son's '98 M3, which was a ton of fun and I had a blast. I've since gone ahead and gotten myself a '99 M3, and will be undertaking a custom audio install on that as well. I'm leaning towards using the spare tire space for the amps instead of the way we did the amp rack on the '98. See thread, not far below this one, for pictures.

What does the hive-mind think?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    If I had good tires on a car I wouldn't shoot that tire seal crap in there. My opinion is it pretty much ruins the tire. I would prefer a plug kit and a pump or fill cartridges that'll get me somewhere to do a proper repair assuming a repairable tire.
    That or a good towing service.

A real spare is preferred.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Have good roadside assistance as a backup and you should be alright for when something does happen.

As for using the wheel well location, you certainly can! the aspect you need to be aware of is allowing warm/hot air to escape from that area if you decide to use Class B or A/B amplifiers. These give off more heat when in use, so you need to adequately allow them to vent away from the area of the amplifier. If not, then the amplifier will run hotter and thus you increase the chances of the amplifier heating up to the point it auto shuts down - thermal runaway it's called. You then need to let the amplifier cool down enough so it operates again. You then run the risk of it happening all over again a short while later.

You could use more efficient Class D amplifiers which give off significantly less heat, these also cost more typically as well.

I went the Class D route and after 2-3 weeks of absolutely pumping them I has zero amplifier thermal shutdowns. My amps aren't in the wheel well, but in a recess and covered with perspex viewing panels - so in effect 'they're sealed away'.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Does your car have a tire air pump? If not, buy one. Also buy a tire plug kit. The majority of flats are caused by a puncture in the tread area. A plug kit will allow you to temporarily fix the tire.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Two recommendations.

Now you're required to do this. That' the rule.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    98 & 99 M3, '06 E60M5S3
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm3 View Post
    Two recommendations.

Now you're required to do this. That' the rule.
    Very well, I'll proceed and provide some pictures at a later date!

Amps/speakers arrive at my dealer tomorrow. Phoenix Gold and Morel.

My Cars
    X5
    To me, having a spare tire is important if you do long distance driving.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron07 View Post
    To me, having a spare tire is important if you do long distance driving.
    I carry a full size spare and don't even have a compartment for one,plus pump and plugs, a roll back ride with wait is not acceptable, but I leave my pistol at home?, I'm thinking I could walk home from a flat, but not a mugging?(Baltimore !)

My Cars
    1994 530i
    I do not carry my spare for local driving, it sits in the garage. Some weight savings and I can always get to it if I have to in an emergency. For trips, yes I carry it..