Thread: 1991 E34 Brake Nightmare (2 weeks and counting)

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw

1991 E34 Brake Nightmare (2 weeks and counting)

Hi,

Before someone says I haven't researched enough, I've literally combed through Google, www.bimmeforums.com and www.bimmerfest.com for solutions and I can't find any pertaining my issue.

Well the story is this.

Its a 1991 E34 520i (BC05400) belongs to a pal. After having a brake pipe (metal) one at the rear right wheel break and replaced, the brake booster and master cylinder were replaced and "supposedly" bled.

Ever since, all calipers would lock and not retract thus locking all wheels. To unlock them, we had to rebleed every moment and not go above gear 3 or above 2500rpm.

Now we rebuilt the calipers and the pistons with new seals, another brake booster (2 others) and another master cylinder (4 others) but now the brakes don't work at all.

Replaced the ABS pump as well but now the abs pump, only sends fluid to the front left and rear right tires and at less than 10kph, the brakes work but the pedal travels all the way down to the plate.

When driven above 10 kph, only God can help you brake, nothing works at all, even the two tires that are receiving brake fluid don't do shit. It's been 2 weeks now and there's no solution at hand apart from fully bypassing the ABS system and having it non-ABS by changing the brake booster and master cylinder plus all the brake pipes as well.

So I'm curious as to how I should confirm/check if the ABS control unit is functional or fried. No abs error has popped up in the cluster and when scanning the vehicle, no error code appears. Self test the car and switching it on and off, the ABS light comes on and off as expected meaning all's fine.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Well, Better to Burn out, Than it is to Rust.

My Cars
    93 740i, 84 533i
    I had a metal line burst on my GMC Denali, and it caused a number of problems, some of which you describe. The issue came down to the ABS block needed to be properly bled. I am not sure that is your problem, but a lot of what you describe would tie back to that.
    Black on Black 740i - 10/92 build date, 225,000 miles.
    Delphin on Cherry 533i - 4/84 build date, 136,000 miles
    Black on Black 328i - 3/96 build date, 185,000 miles - Sold
    2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    It still sounds like there might be some trapped air... same thing happened to me when I replaced the reservoir and master's grommets and seal. How was the system bled, vacuum or push? I had to bleed and re-bleed it a couple of times to get them functioning properly and, oddly enough, the rear ones were easier than the front ones.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chauffeur View Post
    It still sounds like there might be some trapped air... same thing happened to me when I replaced the reservoir and master's grommets and seal. How was the system bled, vacuum or push? I had to bleed and re-bleed it a couple of times to get them functioning properly and, oddly enough, the rear ones were easier than the front ones.
    By push you mean by use of the pedal or what exactly?

I've re-bled the system with over 5l of brake fluid, how much more can I use?

I suspect air as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    I had a metal line burst on my GMC Denali, and it caused a number of problems, some of which you describe. The issue came down to the ABS block needed to be properly bled. I am not sure that is your problem, but a lot of what you describe would tie back to that.
    I'm thinking the ABS pump, the DSC unit as I have a DSC unit

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennoz View Post
    By push you mean by use of the pedal or what exactly?

I've re-bled the system with over 5l of brake fluid, how much more can I use?

I suspect air as well

You're right, I didn't describe it that well... By "push" I meant reverse bleeding; it works ok on some systems, but not on this one, according to the Bentley... What worked pretty darn well for me was a "one man bleeder", the type that's basically just a tube with a check valve.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chauffeur View Post
    You're right, I didn't describe it that well... By "push" I meant reverse bleeding; it works ok on some systems, but not on this one, according to the Bentley... What worked pretty darn well for me was a "one man bleeder", the type that's basically just a tube with a check valve.
    Re' the Bentley manual, I also read that if an E34 was equipped with the DSC option, bleeding such a system is not pretty much the same with a system without.

This E34 has the DSC option.

Now with the car being grounded for a long time, the worst possible problem you can ever encounter is what we call "a DSC hydraulic block".

Now this is the mother of all troubles in the E34s that came with this option.

Now a fluid change is just straight forward, same as most cars but if anything from the master cylinder down to the and including the ABS unit is disconnected, you need to activate the valves and pump in the ABS unit during the bleeding process to fully get the air out, unclamp the abs pump valves and with the clean brake fluid pushing the valves, they actually in turn force the DSC hydraulic block to open up and push all the fluid and air in the pipes out of the system.

Bloody Germans

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "all calipers would lock and not retract thus locking all wheels"
    I suspect the pushrod into the booster or master is in too far not allowing fluid to return to the reservoir. When the now dragging brake warms up the fluid expands and with nowhere to go presses the piston out of the caliper further dragging the brakes.
    Are your brakes getting hot?
    NONE of this scenario concurs with the low pedal you further describe unless you have moisture in the system which is boiling, unlikely after 5 lt of fluid.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    "all calipers would lock and not retract thus locking all wheels"
    I suspect the pushrod into the booster or master is in too far not allowing fluid to return to the reservoir. When the now dragging brake warms up the fluid expands and with nowhere to go presses the piston out of the caliper further dragging the brakes.
    Are your brakes getting hot?
    NONE of this scenario concurs with the low pedal you further describe unless you have moisture in the system which is boiling, unlikely after 5 lt of fluid.
    Yes they would get seriously hot. As for the moisture, I'm not sure about that.

But the pushrod has been fixed and is working accordingly just that the car isn't stopping at all.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by dennoz View Post
    Yes they would get seriously hot. As for the moisture, I'm not sure about that.

But the pushrod has been fixed and is working accordingly just that the car isn't stopping at all.

Sounds like air trapped in the ABS

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    It would have ASC, not DSC. On a 1991 car there were (in the US, anyway) two separate hydraulic manifolds - one for the ABS, and another for the ASC with a pressurized gas cylinder bolted to it. It would also have a larger steering fluid tank and a dual-stage steering pump. Later cars (from 9/93) integrated these functions into one manifold, and I think they used a normal pump and tank.

ABS releases brake pressure as needed to prevent lock. ASC does the opposite: it provides pressure (via a combination of the gas cylinder, and hydraulic pressure from the steering pump) to the rear brakes as needed. It also closes a second throttle plate (do you have this second plate?) to cut engine power. Not sure, but I think DSC does the same to all wheels, not just rears.

My experience has been that an ABS-only E34 can be bled from scratch (not just a flush but after a lot of stuff's been disconnected) like a normal car, without needing to cycle the valves. I've never attempted to bleed an ASC car from scratch; Bentley manual says that to do so, the ASC valves need to be cycled by some BMW special computer tool.

Brake masters usually fail by leaking externally or internally (failing to build up full pressure, or releasing it on their own). I once experienced a master failing to release; after a few applications of the brakes, I'd have to crack one of the lines loose to release the pressure. That got old quick! It was an old Hilux and a new master cured it. But if you've been through several masters and boosters, that is not likely your problem. I would still check the pedal assembly for binding.

Another thing: in ~8 years of professional wrenching I have never seen a machine or technique that can bleed as well as one person on the pedal and another at the bleeder screws. A car-clueless person working the pedal is better than a $$$ power bleeder or a vacuum pump. First cycle the system (brakes or clutch) with the screws open, then with the screw closed, pump hard and fast 5 times and hold it at the fifth, then release the screw. If you do the latter three times with no air, it's good.
    Last edited by moroza; 08-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    IF you are able to brake hard enough to cycle the ABS PERHAPS you could purge some of the air that way. ABS stop, bleed, ABS stop, bleed, etc.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    It would have ASC, not DSC. On a 1991 car there were (in the US, anyway) two separate hydraulic manifolds - one for the ABS, and another for the ASC with a pressurized gas cylinder bolted to it. It would also have a larger steering fluid tank and a dual-stage steering pump. Later cars (from 9/93) integrated these functions into one manifold, and I think they used a normal pump and tank.

ABS releases brake pressure as needed to prevent lock. ASC does the opposite: it provides pressure (via a combination of the gas cylinder, and hydraulic pressure from the steering pump) to the rear brakes as needed. It also closes a second throttle plate (do you have this second plate?) to cut engine power. Not sure, but I think DSC does the same to all wheels, not just rears.

My experience has been that an ABS-only E34 can be bled from scratch (not just a flush but after a lot of stuff's been disconnected) like a normal car, without needing to cycle the valves. I've never attempted to bleed an ASC car from scratch; Bentley manual says that to do so, the ASC valves need to be cycled by some BMW special computer tool.

Brake masters usually fail by leaking externally or internally (failing to build up full pressure, or releasing it on their own). I once experienced a master failing to release; after a few applications of the brakes, I'd have to crack one of the lines loose to release the pressure. That got old quick! It was an old Hilux and a new master cured it. But if you've been through several masters and boosters, that is not likely your problem. I would still check the pedal assembly for binding.

Another thing: in ~8 years of professional wrenching I have never seen a machine or technique that can bleed as well as one person on the pedal and another at the bleeder screws. A car-clueless person working the pedal is better than a $$$ power bleeder or a vacuum pump. First cycle the system (brakes or clutch) with the screws open, then with the screw closed, pump hard and fast 5 times and hold it at the fifth, then release the screw. If you do the latter three times with no air, it's good.
    This is the option list for the E34 and as you can see that it only came with the DSC and not ASC so I'm not sure how both are related.

As for the bleeding, I'm also thinking of doing the hard braking a few times to see if I can activate the ABS into cycling the valves on its own and get to see if they'll work.

The power steering reservoir is the same size as the one in a non abs car.

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Sounds like air trapped in the ABS
    My thinking as well

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    I would still check the pedal assembly for binding. Regarding this, I will have to check this.

My Cars
    E34T
    Huh, you're right. It's a different option code than ASC (S214A, at least for my 1/94 525iA). I've never heard of an E34 with DSC before. Has anyone else?

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Well, this is tiring. My front left caliper is locking up, AGAIN. I'm gonna go nuts. I can't go beyond 2nd gear and the car is smoking too much at that said caliper.

My Cars
    E34T
    There are reasonable arguments for fighting to keep the system intact, but if I were in your situation, I would throw that ABS-DSC-WTF alphabet soup as far into a swamp as I can*, replace with a manual proportioning valve, and call it a day.

*Just kidding. I don't condone waste or pollution. Sell it instead.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    When I first got my car I was told due to the ASC+T I required the dealership to replace brake fluid because they had the machine to cycle the ABS block and purge that properly otherwise just doing each caliper by hand you still have old fluid... can you bring it to a BMW dealership and have them do it right?

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    When I first got my car I was told due to the ASC+T I required the dealership to replace brake fluid because they had the machine to cycle the ABS block and purge that properly otherwise just doing each caliper by hand you still have old fluid... can you bring it to a BMW dealership and have them do it right?
    Well, our local dealership at the moment doesn't support any bmw Pre 1996, so that was a downside for me.....I'd love to know which system that is and how easily it is to acquire one.

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    There are reasonable arguments for fighting to keep the system intact, but if I were in your situation, I would throw that ABS-DSC-WTF alphabet soup as far into a swamp as I can*, replace with a manual proportioning valve, and call it a day.
    This is my exact thoughts also. Simplify your problem. ASC, DSC offers little advantage over plain ABS 95% of the time. Just another example of BMW engineering run amuck.