Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Turbo - Street / Drag Race Project

My Cars
    2000 328
    Pretty sure he was just responding to snails #dadlife comment.
    And that also doesn’t look like Canada in January

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxel421 View Post
    Pretty sure he was just responding to snails #dadlife comment.
    And that also doesn’t look like Canada in January
    It was last September.

I've found that being a Dad hasn't changed my enthusiasm and passion for cars one bit.....but it has changed when I can work on, and drive stuff.

I think Perry is probably at the top of my "respect" list for juggling family/work/cars.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Don't look at me, I haven't accomplished anything in months!

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Yeah Perry.. get off facebook and start accomplishing stuff again!
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    86 325es
    come watch my kids, they are cute and don't bite very much.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Any updates on this build?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Any updates on this build?
    The chassis is stuck with my chassis builder.....I probably won't see meaningful progress until next winter.

The engine's cylinder head rebuild is done, and the bottom end, I just have to find the time to start piecing it back together.

My free time lately has been very focused on family activities; I just bought a new KX250F to spend more time riding with my son.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135I 2015 BMW M
    Well Adam, I have spent a lot of time catching up on all of your progress. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading up on all of the adventures and changes as you'be made them. I can still remember being in awe any time I was able to visit your shop back when I lived on PEI and reading this has certainly brought some of that back for me! Love your attention to detail and continued effort to learn and always make the project better! Now that it's winter again tell Glen to get on the chassis! (Guessing that's who has it at least)
    Thanks for a great read and I will be sure to check back.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan3312 View Post
    Well Adam, I have spent a lot of time catching up on all of your progress. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading up on all of the adventures and changes as you'be made them. I can still remember being in awe any time I was able to visit your shop back when I lived on PEI and reading this has certainly brought some of that back for me! Love your attention to detail and continued effort to learn and always make the project better! Now that it's winter again tell Glen to get on the chassis! (Guessing that's who has it at least)
    Thanks for a great read and I will be sure to check back.
    Dan,

Glen does have the chassis, but it's been a mutually incited delay. I was changing my mind on the scope of the project, and he was busy with his own racing. I still have to check in with him, but I think that he's moved the chassis back onto the lift to start on the cage work last week. Everything is working out well in my opinion.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135I 2015 BMW M
    Makes sense. No point in rushing into it if you aren't sure of what you want done. Glad to hear things are working out

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan3312 View Post
    Makes sense. No point in rushing into it if you aren't sure of what you want done. Glad to hear things are working out
    I've got piles of new parts waiting for their new home.....most of them go back years. (Some stuff is from running the black car) I'm looking forward to being able to get this rolling again....

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135I 2015 BMW M
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    I've got piles of new parts waiting for their new home.....most of them go back years. (Some stuff is from running the black car) I'm looking forward to being able to get this rolling again....
    That's going back a while now! I can't even begin to imagine what you have waiting for it! Needless to say I will be checking back to see when you decide to share some of those shiny bits with us!

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    pics! We want pics!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit382 View Post
    pics! We want pics!
    It has been quite a while....

Back in September I was moving some bins around in my shop, and I opened one up to check for some supplies for another project I was working on for my son. I realized there were a number of items in the bin that I had never really posted about, so I took a couple of pictures with the intention to follow up on it later. Well....here's later.

The bin:

The "new" bits:

Ok...so they are brand new parts, but they have been sitting for years in some cases. Going clockwise from 9 o'clock:

- Magnus Motorsports variable clutch delay valve and bypass solenoid

- Garrett Turbine speed sensor (For 76mm turbo)

- Motec string pot (It's a linear position sensor for the clutch pedal)

- 2 X Motec 200mm linear position sensors (2 X rear wheel/suspension position sensors)

- Wastegate position sensor (Potted and terminated from Racespeconline)

- Texense 3 Axis accelerometer (5 G per axis)

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135I 2015 BMW M
    So I guess this is going to mean an all new wiring harness. Wiring is difficult for me because I can't make it as nice as I would like to, the harnesses you built blew me away a little. Always excited to see what's next!

My Cars
    2001 530
    Adam i have a question you may can answer.
    have you measured piston to valve clearance when you advance the exhaust cam for 20 or 30 degrees?
    i have NA 264/248 schricks and now with the turbo i want to play a bit with timing

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by stefm5 View Post
    Adam i have a question you may can answer.
    have you measured piston to valve clearance when you advance the exhaust cam for 20 or 30 degrees?
    i have NA 264/248 schricks and now with the turbo i want to play a bit with timing
    No, I haven't measured it yet, but I do plan to do a range of a motion test while assembling the engine.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I always wanted to do motion sensors on the actual wastegate valve. Very cool stuff Adam.

My Cars
    A4 B7 E36 M50TU E46 M52
    How well did the m11 studs hold up for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36T, V8 E53, E70 D
    hows the progress ?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    M11 studs did great. No issues with stock head gasket and lots of boost.

There is now a 4130 chromoly cage TIG welded into the car. Unfortunately, I'm not able to visit my car due to everything that's going on, so there's no pictures yet.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Just getting caught up on your posts. Nice work as always.

I'm going backwards a bit here....but while we were assembling the head, we found that a couple of valve locks had cracks on them.

I don't know for certain what caused the cracks, but I have a guess. One of the methods I've used to pull the valve locks out is to hit the top of the retainer with a socket and a hammer. The valve stays in place, the spring compresses, and the locks fall out of the slot. I think that while doing this, a lock might have turned sideways and then been compressed by the returning valve retainer and spring causing it to fail. I've disassembled this head twice now, so the possibility seems higher. I think in the future I will use a valve spring compressor (Same as we use to assemble) and take the valve locks out carefully.
    This is good to know. I spent some time at a local machine shop helping out and this was their go to method for all valve removals. It works extremely well but I'm going to stop using that method seeing you post this.

My Cars
    2001 325i AASC 8psi
    Any update on the car? I really miss following this project (really all your projects).

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuie1 View Post
    Any update on the car? I really miss following this project (really all your projects).
    The project has paused for a little bit.

I'm currently in the midst of a major house renovation, living in an RV in my back yard. The garage outside of my house (that I use to work on the car) has turned into a storage space for everything that got pulled out of the house. The car is currently sitting at the chassis fabricators shop, but it has a cage now!

Once I get my workshop back from storage duty, I will be able to start work again. The real question is: Will I have time?

I've also started riding MX again, because my son got into it, so my mechanical efforts (and time) have gone towards maintaining 3 bikes and going to race tracks multiple times a week.

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Hopefully this doesn't take away from this thread, but it's kinda related:

A guy local to me has just turbo'd an aluminum block M54 and put it in his e39 touring. He's keeping all the internals stock to see where the limits are. Guy is crazy, seems to not need sleep, and has a ton of fun in the process. I don't know if he has any info on these forums or not. I'll have to ask when I see him this weekend. However, he's a blast to follow if you have instagram: @getyourspankon
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast