Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Turbo - Street / Drag Race Project

My Cars
    2015 Audi Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Are the pics working for everyone else?

No the pics are not showing up, seems to be only this page.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexQuattr0 View Post
    No the pics are not showing up, seems to be only this page.
    Cool, I thought it was just me and I somehow got banned by photofuckit

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Ya. Pics that were there yesterday when I posted my comment are gone. There are no broken links. Nothing. Like a pic was never posted (but they obviously were).

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I'm having problems uploading new images as well.

I'll dig into it...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Test

My Cars
    e36 m3, turbo e36
    Picture is working for me

-sold...replaced by turbo e36

My Cars
    2015 Audi Q5
    I see 2 pics.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Yup. Nice rad!

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Sweet radiator! What are all the ports for? Is it a custom unit or off the shelf?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Sweet radiator! What are all the ports for? Is it a custom unit or off the shelf?
    It's a custom unit I had Bimmerworld source for me.

On the right side of the radiator, (under pressure cap) there is an 11 plate oil/water heat exchanger integrated into the end tank.

The -12 AN bungs on the bottom of both end tanks are for an auxiliary cooling circuit I have planned. (It will have it's own pump)

The fans flow roughly 1600 CFM each, and draw approximately 16 amps each.

Core thickness = 2.56"

Height = 24.5" (not including rad cap)
    Width = 27.5"
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 01-19-2019 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I'm going backwards a bit here....but while we were assembling the head, we found that a couple of valve locks had cracks on them.

I don't know for certain what caused the cracks, but I have a guess. One of the methods I've used to pull the valve locks out is to hit the top of the retainer with a socket and a hammer. The valve stays in place, the spring compresses, and the locks fall out of the slot. I think that while doing this, a lock might have turned sideways and then been compressed by the returning valve retainer and spring causing it to fail. I've disassembled this head twice now, so the possibility seems higher. I think in the future I will use a valve spring compressor (Same as we use to assemble) and take the valve locks out carefully.

Even though there were only 2 locks found damaged, I decided to replace them all just in case. So a new set of 48 locks is on the way from Supertech.

Considering I thought the head was "Good" when I ran it before, I've done a surprising amount of work on it:

- New valve guides
    - New valve seals
    - Valve seats re-cut
    - New valve springs and retainers
    - New valve locks

So this leads me to question my ultimate power goals, because my tolerance for wrecking/breaking stuff has decreased significantly over the past couple of years. Where I used to consider an engine rebuild to be like washing ones clothes, I now see it like having to do a major house renovation. The thought of toasting this engine build, after what might amount to a handful of hours of use, is highly disturbing. The M54 engine in general is still widely unproven above 800hp, so I'm having second thoughts on my 1100hp goals.

- - - Updated - - -

Championship level "Dumb ass":

I put the BMW outside with a cover over it while I was doing some work on my wife's car on the lift. Because I ran into some issues, I left BMW outside overnight. Then I woke up in the morning to find that we had gotten significant snow, and that my car cover was blown half way across the back yard.

The car was full of water/snow.

Good thing the floor is getting cut out....

My Cars
    86 325es
    Build two motors. If you know that you have a backup motor sitting on a stand at home you'll be much less hesitant to blow it up.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Build two motors. If you know that you have a backup motor sitting on a stand at home you'll be much less hesitant to blow it up.
    And there lies the problem.

I started talking to Mazworks last August, and Mark had a ton of very constructive ideas based on practical experience. This discussion made my current engine build obsolete, and many of my ideas for future projects were put in doubt. Mark didn't think running 2 cooling systems, (One for the head, and one for the block) was a useful feature. More importantly, he felt that the welding to close the deck of the cylinder head would have caused softening of the cylinder head core in areas where we actually want it to be stronger. In other words, I might have taken a step backwards!

So if I was to start from scratch with stock M54 cores, and had Mazworks do their magic with sleeves, billet main caps, big studs, head porting, and valve train, I'm probably looking 2 X $30k engine builds. I just don't have that budget right now...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I guess the other thing I could do is simply build another bottom end with exactly the same hardware as my current engine build....but I think that would bug me. I'd know that it could be better....

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Sucks about the car over, a holepunch and zipties on all 4 wheels helps, but hindsight is always 20/20

My Cars
    86 325es
    Perfection is the enemy of progress. Just get another block, sleeve it, put timeserts in it, and a stock head, upgraded valve springs, off the shelf rods and pistons. 1100 hp is not that much, don't go nuts over it.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    What about moving to the S54 platform? Wouldn't be necessary to use sleeves, valvetrains for 9k rpm available, etc.

--Peter

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    I guess the other thing I could do is simply build another bottom end with exactly the same hardware as my current engine build....but I think that would bug me. I'd know that it could be better....
    You all know that spending the money to have a fully built backup motor waiting in the wings is a sure fire way of ensuring the primary motor will NEVER blow!! It's like spending loot on rain tires and wheels and then it never rains at the track!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    You all know that spending the money to have a fully built backup motor waiting in the wings is a sure fire way of ensuring the primary motor will NEVER blow!! It's like spending loot on rain tires and wheels and then it never rains at the track!
    Absolutely true story. I have used my rains once in what, three years?

--Peter

My Cars
    2015 Audi Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Mark didn't think running 2 cooling systems, (One for the head, and one for the block) was a useful feature.
    Is this for a drag application only? or road racing (TARGA)?

I remember when you first started talking about this a few years ago (I brought it up a few posts back) but I haven't seen you post any more than 2 pics of the cylinder head from a distance.

Did you ever post about this in depth? It would be cool if you'd elaborate more on the reasons why you thought that having a cooler cylinder head would be important and also post some closeup pics. You mentioned that a special jig needed to be built to hold down the head, do you have any pics of that?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Ready:

Set:

Gone:

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to find a better way to do this:

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    Sucks about the car over, a holepunch and zipties on all 4 wheels helps, but hindsight is always 20/20
    I can count the number of times I've used that cover on one hand since I bought it in 2010.

Perfection is the enemy of progress. Just get another block, sleeve it, put timeserts in it, and a stock head, upgraded valve springs, off the shelf rods and pistons. 1100 hp is not that much, don't go nuts over it.
    I have another engine, but I'm debating what to do with it in the long term. Right now, it's the mock-up piece for fabrication while we rebuild my other engine.

Quote Originally Posted by herrubermensch View Post
    What about moving to the S54 platform? Wouldn't be necessary to use sleeves, valvetrains for 9k rpm available, etc.

--Peter
    Peter,

People keep telling me this. :P

What's quite interesting is the number of block failures I've been exposed to with the S54, where the cylinder wall splits under pressure. So I think to be sure, I'd want to sleeve the S54....which would cost the same as doing an M54 block. The cylinder head is better on the S54, but it's a heavier engine as well. If Mert ever fires up the Billet S54 block he had Mazworx build him, we might have a case for conversion....

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Or taking tools to the track!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexQuattr0 View Post
    Is this for a drag application only? or road racing (TARGA)?

I remember when you first started talking about this a few years ago (I brought it up a few posts back) but I haven't seen you post any more than 2 pics of the cylinder head from a distance.

Did you ever post about this in depth? It would be cool if you'd elaborate more on the reasons why you thought that having a cooler cylinder head would be important and also post some closeup pics. You mentioned that a special jig needed to be built to hold down the head, do you have any pics of that?
    It's a mix of street car, drag car, and track day car.

I'll comment on the "cool head" later.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Oh man... this makes me want to do something w/ my car again... but at the same time makes me want to not bother... lol.

#dadlife now

Good to see you're still at it!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Oh man... this makes me want to do something w/ my car again... but at the same time makes me want to not bother... lol.

#dadlife now

Good to see you're still at it!
    #dadlife

My Cars
    1993 325is
    So. These pics are what, a couple days apart?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast