Thread: BMW 530XI Wagon - thinking of buying

My Cars
    S54 MZR...bye bye

BMW 530XI Wagon - thinking of buying

Hi All,

I'm looking for a winter car to shuttle my kids to school and my office. My other cars are a low mileage RX-8 summer car and an E84 X1 that wife uses.
    Initially I've been looking at the usual suspects like WRX wagons, Foresters, A3/A4 hatch etc. Then a friend of mine suggested to look into a 5-series wagon. Long story short, I thought why not as they have depreciated much. I'm amazed that the price of these wonderful wagons are about the same as say a WRX of the same years and mileage given that the BMW is more than double the price when brand new.

Just wondering from you learned E60/61 folks how are the reliability of a non-turbo NA-6 530Xi wagon? I'm not averse to self-DIY maintenance and have access to a lift. The thought of having a classy wagon that ages gracefully is intriguing.

Thank you!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Auto trans issues, rear hatch hydraulics, rear hatch wiring harness, sunroof drains clogging and filling under trunk area with water and frying electronics, headlight internal wiring insulation disintegrating.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Auto trans issues, rear hatch hydraulics, rear hatch wiring harness, sunroof drains clogging and filling under trunk area with water and frying electronics, headlight internal wiring insulation disintegrating.
    Ouch, anything good to say from the M3 world?! They're not all that bad. How's your rod bearings and throttle actuators holding up on the E90?! I have not run across any BMW that doesn't have its own set of issues. Wagons are no more of a pita than the rest!!

ps- That E90 IS the one to own! Nice
    Last edited by TTTXGreg; 08-22-2018 at 12:31 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Our 08 535xit is a great car. Had it 8 years and 100k of its 10 years and 133k. But they have some issues which I noted. There is a reason why they can be really cheap used. I have addressed all those issues on ours. Just broke a front coil spring. New front struts, bearings, springs, rubber and a bad front axle discovered during the work was well over $1k in parts. But it’s still a great car and we will keep it a while longer. Just be prepared for some work and some expense and know the issues so you can try to act preventatively.

08M3 is doing fine. I changed the rod bearings myself in 2014 when the CPO warranty expired. I have replaced both TA as well. Had it for 8 of its 10 years and 63k of its 93k miles and plan to keep it a few more years.

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Our 08 535xit is a great car. Had it 8 years and 100k of its 10 years and 133k. But they have some issues which I noted. There is a reason why they can be really cheap used. I have addressed all those issues on ours. Just broke a front coil spring. New front struts, bearings, springs, rubber and a bad front axle discovered during the work was well over $1k in parts. But it’s still a great car and we will keep it a while longer. Just be prepared for some work and some expense and know the issues so you can try to act preventatively.

08M3 is doing fine. I changed the rod bearings myself in 2014 when the CPO warranty expired. I have replaced both TA as well. Had it for 8 of its 10 years and 63k of its 93k miles and plan to keep it a few more years.
    Sounds like you maintenance like me. Preventative and thorough while you're in there for something else.
    I think the scare everyone has with owning any used BMW is maintanience costs. Most concerns on the 530xiT are fairly minor and easily resolved IF YOU DIY and read the forums. That's the key to owning any BMW, and I imagine the rest...Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar...etc. would be the same, I am only familiar with BMW. Preventative maintenance and addressing known issues thru inspection- if you are looking to buy a car with 80+k miles, plan to invest $1500-2000. On parts, fluid changes, struts/shocks/steering parts,etc.. Do it immediately and you will be driving a new "to you" expensive car in it's day that will last long time!

Personally I own 3-530xiT. 1-2006 Basic (used in business daily, 152k mi.) and 2-2007 loaded w/sports pkg and the rest of every option.
    I chose 2006-2007 because of the N52 engine. N52 is almost proven bullet proof. I know, not much power but great mileage and enough pep. If I want to go for a ride, I take the 850TT out. The other years power plants have various issues I consider more serious (and expensive) with expected wear and maintenance. The V10 would be nice, but then again, you don't want a high mileage V10 to drop in. I can't get rid of the thought of putting one of my spare V12's from the 850TT spares in one some day! Big job, but it will fit.

Anyway, a little long but I hope this helps prospective buyers.
    Last edited by TTTXGreg; 08-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    92 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a winter car to shuttle my kids to school and my office. My other cars are a low mileage RX-8 summer car and an E84 X1 that wife uses.
    Initially I've been looking at the usual suspects like WRX wagons, Foresters, A3/A4 hatch etc. Then a friend of mine suggested to look into a 5-series wagon. Long story short, I thought why not as they have depreciated much. I'm amazed that the price of these wonderful wagons are about the same as say a WRX of the same years and mileage given that the BMW is more than double the price when brand new.

Just wondering from you learned E60/61 folks how are the reliability of a non-turbo NA-6 530Xi wagon? I'm not averse to self-DIY maintenance and have access to a lift. The thought of having a classy wagon that ages gracefully is intriguing.

Thank you!
    I have said wagon and it's for sale. I sent you a PM