Thread: Was remote locking in option on the 1995 540s?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28

Was remote locking in option on the 1995 540s?

Was remote locking an option on the 1995 540s?

The 540 I just bought doesn’t have the LED the red LED to three button one big button two small but it’s just like all the other 540 I called the dealership with the VIN suggested from what they could see that the remote locking system was not ordered as an option I thought that was standard so has anyone ever encountered a 540 that didn’t come with the remote locking

My Cars
    95 547i
    Do you mean could you opt out of remote locking? I suppose it is possible but I never really considered it being an option. My 540 is equipped with it.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by E28Project View Post
    Do you mean could you opt out of remote locking? I suppose it is possible but I never really considered it being an option. My 540 is equipped with it.
    That would be another way of asking the question.

I had been under the impression with the three other 540's I've owned the remote locking was standard.. I have seen shipping information lists before but hadn't seen it for this and the dealership parts guy said it looks like it was shipped without it .

the doors all lock together when using the key blade in tumbler but who doesn't like the remote?

** Now that I'm home I did some hunting and found this;

https://bmwguide.net/bmw-e34-history...aracteristics/
    Options

• On-board computer (standard on all US-spec)
    • Trunk-mounted 6-disc CD changer
    • Cruise control
    • Fully automatic dual-zone air conditioning
    • Heated seats
    • Seat and mirror memory
    • Lordosis support in seats
    • Heated headlight and foglight washers with larger reservoir
    • Servotronic power steering
    • Sport suspension upgrade
    • Passenger airbag
    • Automatic Stability Control (ASC, also ASC+T with traction control)
    • ** Keyless entry system with deadbolt**
    • Curtains in rear window and rear side windows (non-US-spec)
    • Leather interior
    • Arm rests on front seats
    • Ski bag integrated into rear seat bank
    • Light package with focused reading lights front and rear
    • Refrigerator built into rear seat back
    • Wood panels on center console
    • Glove compartment and door panels
    • Fold-down rear seat bank (touring)
    • Telephone between the seats
    • Nubuck leather head liner (non-US-spec)
    • Complete leather including dashboard
    • Rear shelf (non-US-spec)
    • apparently it was an option..
    Last edited by jehu; 08-20-2018 at 10:47 PM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    The red LED should still be on the top grill since it's also used to indicate that the car is deadlocked.

The only way to check the car for certain is to look under the seat, there's a very obvious box that has "keyless entry" on it and there's one that's just a simple black module that sits with some relays. There were two or three different remote central locking systems installed over the E34s life but I recall reading that 95s and especially 540s came standard with it. It's entirely possible to choose not to have it, 535s were all equipped with leather seats as standard but I have seen one that came from factory with cloth as an option.

I'm not sure why someone would remove something that was fitted standard though. Maybe they personally preferred to walk up to the car and unlock it?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Yeah I’m familiar with the the system I’m wondering if it if it might be possible to retrofit it I have you know the system the box that I could connect if there’s a harness I’ll have to check out I would assume that would be a harness for for it to connect to it I think wasn’t there also in the C pillar a module to receive the signal that had like a coaxial wire that connected it with the antenna in the the rear windshield
    Last edited by jehu; 08-21-2018 at 03:07 PM.

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Possibly. I'm not familiar with all the systems, mostly I had to deal with figuring out the early IR system only to find out the remote costs more than the entire system. You can sometimes find the full systems on eBay for not too bad of a price. Yours being a 95, it's likely already prewired for RF as the IR version was ended around 1992 I think and would be incompatible. Assuming you have the wiring, it will be plug and play if you can get hold of an original system.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    On 95' 540's the remote receiver and antenna are located in the rearview mirror. Look for a 10pin connector at the mirror. if you have wires for pin 4-9 you have keyless entry installed.
    The biggest problem is, the system goes into lockout if you try to program a key with the door open, and finding anyone to reset it is next to impossible.
    I have keys with LED and without. both worked the same. Mine had the lockout problem and I was able to get mine functioning by replacing the mirror with one that wasn't locked out.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    I do know someone who can do this locally and have had it done to another before.. I will check the mirror... I thought the receiver was located in the left C Pillar... what is that? just the FM radio antenna boost? I also have the mirrors from two other working remote 540 cars so maybe I'll try those... AFTER disconnecting the battery of course ...

Quote Originally Posted by RobZR View Post
    On 95' 540's the remote receiver and antenna are located in the rearview mirror. Look for a 10pin connector at the mirror. if you have wires for pin 4-9 you have keyless entry installed.
    The biggest problem is, the system goes into lockout if you try to program a key with the door open, and finding anyone to reset it is next to impossible.
    I have keys with LED and without. both worked the same. Mine had the lockout problem and I was able to get mine functioning by replacing the mirror with one that wasn't locked out.
    Last edited by jehu; 10-20-2018 at 01:29 AM.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    I stumbled on the workings of the alarm/keyless system when I was retrofitting a homelink mirror to my sons E46 vert. it has a similar system in the mirror. This lead to an E34 retrofit
    found this guide to. help
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1461044-Calling-all-Homelink-alarm-mirror-electrical-experts!

after divorcing the circuit board from the mirror, i was able to mount an E60 dimming/homelink/compass mirror in place while still retaining the remote keys.
    Last edited by RobZR; 10-20-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: It was an E60 mirror