Thread: Carphone does not work. Any ideas or help?

My Cars
    E39 530D

Angry Carphone does not work. Any ideas or help?

Hi,

I'm propagating necromancy and bought my self broken peace of CRAP a year ago (530d prefl). And already have fixed everything with it's engine, trans and chassis.

Now trying to fix some small things. Like carphone. It's useless? Might be, but I want it to work.

I have one in the middle between driver and passenger seats. The problem is that nothing is working. Whole base is lit up (eject button and near sim card slot), but phone it self is dark and doesn't show anything on screen. I have tried on another car and phone works there.

On 4:3 screen I have function called "telephone" and it's active I can press on it and nothing happens.

I took apart all that center console and removed phone module. I have tried 2 different modules today and same thing happening. Phone doesn't work and I can't enter menu on screen.

So I have few questions. Do I need to code phone module to my car or it should work plug and play?
    What does phone module in the trunk? Maybe I should try to change it instead?

I need ideas Because now I have 3 solutions which might work or not. To change trunk module, to change whole center console with another phone mounting or look for problems in cables somewhere.
    Last edited by JimLev; 08-20-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Profanity isn't allowed, OK

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    That phone is probably analog and not worth trying to get it working. Isn't Europe all digital?
    Please watch the profanity, it isn't allowed.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Hey bro, 1998 called and said its time to get a cell phone
    Last edited by topaz540i; 08-20-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The old Motorola brick cell phone was really great for knocking people out...
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E39 530D
    It's not about that if I will use it, if it works or w/e.
    I'm just that guy that wants everything to work even if it's useless.

So if anyone would help me to find out what is the problem, then it would be great.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by TooEasyL2P View Post
    It's not about that if I will use it, if it works or w/e.
    I'm just that guy that wants everything to work even if it's useless.

So if anyone would help me to find out what is the problem, then it would be great.
    Re-read JimLev's post. Call phone technology switched from analog to digital back in 2008. That means that the analog cell phone that you're trying to resurrect will never work.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mo...ing-goinggone/
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Re-read JimLev's post. Call phone technology switched from analog to digital back in 2008. That means that the analog cell phone that you're trying to resurrect will never work.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mo...ing-goinggone/
    I saw his comment. I'm not trying to make it work that it would accept calls or I could call with it. Just if I pick up that phone it would glow and I could go through it's menu if it has one and so on. It's a matter of principle. If it's in the car I want it to work regardless if I will be able to use it as a phone.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Best of luck with that project!

04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Best of luck with that project!

LOL, perfect.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I saw his comment. I'm not trying to make it work that it would accept calls or I could call with it. Just if I pick up that phone it would glow and I could go through it's menu if it has one and so on. It's a matter of principle. If it's in the car I want it to work regardless if I will be able to use it as a phone.
    You'll need to see if a previous owner disconnected/cut the wiring harnesses beneath the center console...as well as if the telematics control module is still in the trunk (hooked up).

Because of the death of analog phone systems...over the last 20 years... e38/e39 owners have removed/disconnected the systems to either move them out of the way...or prevent them from getting accidentally turned on and running down power in the car...and I"m sure other reasons. The phone may still be there...but if it doesn't have any power...then that suggests things have been disconnected.

Use some of the online part databases (realoem.com, bmwfans.info, etk.cc) to find the harnesses, components, and other pieces you need to make it "turn on". But again...in 99% of the country...it probably won't be able to do anything...not even the old 911 system.

For some examples of the communication diagrams...you'll see that there were multiple phone systems used...you'll need to hone in on the one that you have:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Thanks for this information.

I think it shouldn't be disconnected. Tho I don't know if it's possible to tell if that module in a trunk is workin. Don't remember if it has any lights to show it.
    And it was long time ago when I used INPA on telephone, but I'm pretty sure that there's 2 units and both of them at least in INPA had status OK.

Plus if I connect that motorola module back under center control I'm getting telephone function on screen. Tho nothing happens when I press on it.

What I think that I might have problem with that socket where phone it self is connected. Because center console lights up (eject and sim card slot), but phone is dark without any text on it.
    But that doesn't explain why I can't enter telephone menu on screen. At least I think that phone should not be the cause of that. Do you know if those modules needs to be coded to the car? Maybe they can't be replaced in plug and play style.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    There is no coding involved. If the actuele send/receiver module in place and connected?

Not sure what system you got in the US, but over here on later systems there is a small brown-ish GSM module that is separate from the tranceiver in the trunk.

Any pics would help.

You will need a simcard to use the phone. Without one, even if everything is connected as should, you won't be able to do anything, not even the phone's menu.

p.s. in EU we got the digital GSM system from somewhere around 1993/94. The only sad thing is that all the EU BMW system for the old 'curly cord' system are single band 900MHZ, which is the best frequency, but now used for 4G.

This means that in my country the phone no longer operated, however in Belgium and Germany, these phones work perfectly still.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    There is no coding involved. If the actuele send/receiver module in place and connected?

Not sure what system you got in the US, but over here on later systems there is a small brown-ish GSM module that is separate from the tranceiver in the trunk.

Any pics would help.

You will need a simcard to use the phone. Without one, even if everything is connected as should, you won't be able to do anything, not even the phone's menu.

p.s. in EU we got the digital GSM system from somewhere around 1993/94. The only sad thing is that all the EU BMW system for the old 'curly cord' system are single band 900MHZ, which is the best frequency, but now used for 4G.

This means that in my country the phone no longer operated, however in Belgium and Germany, these phones work perfectly still.
    I'm from EU. Attaching photos of devices I have. My phone, black is that module in the trunk which takes sim card and that other one is motorola module from center console.
    That last one is taken from google. Don't have photo of it.

bmw-e39-535i-m62-v8-saloon-motorola-module-6907046-263000484174-600x600.jpg39622274_734165400258917_4389071700197638144_n.jpg39700636_734076370267820_7474271932980920320_n.jpg

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ok then it should be fixable. Of course if any modules/parts are dead not so much.

For testing the system out of the car, all it needs is 12v and ground hooked up.

I have a complete set here, including the SES (voice control) option. Works with just 12/ground on the main connector.

IG:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    I might found the problem. INPA shows that there's no connection with send/receive unit and crad reader.
    I'm pretty sure that it was fine some time ago. But maybe I don't remember that good. Either way, this unit is that one in the back or that one in center console?

Both units are connected. So I guess previous owner didn't disconnected those devices, at least they shouldn't be cut off somewhere in the middle. On purpose that is.

phone.JPG

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I might found the problem. INPA shows that there's no connection with send/receive unit and crad reader.
    I'm pretty sure that it was fine some time ago. But maybe I don't remember that good. Either way, this unit is that one in the back or that one in center console?

Both units are connected. So I guess previous owner didn't disconnected those devices, at least they shouldn't be cut off somewhere in the middle. On purpose that is.

phone.JPG
    Don't get me started on what a previous owner should not do. I think if I ever sell any of my cars, I will but in some random piece of 5 meter wire with a switch on one side and let the new owner break his head over what it is for.

I'm surprised the system can be diagnosed with INPA. Didn't the think the phone system was hooked up to the diagnostic line.
    Last edited by JimLev; 08-23-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: No Profanity, read the rules OK

IG:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Oh well not going to take whole car apart just to check cable and change it. Maybe someday if I will need to do that either way.

Will look on facebook group where I buy parts and maybe someone will have that trunk unit to test it out if it doesn't work.

I would change to something else that center console, but I have freaking dark green interior. Never saw one on sale somewhere. I guess will leave that not working phone for the time being.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yank it out and toss it, unless you have a ton of free time on your hands, if you do, yank it out, toss it up in the air and shoot it. Now you don’t have to worry about it coming on and it’s still useless.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun